We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oxalis-2011  (Read 5338 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Oxalis-2011
« on: May 20, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
With me now in greenhouse are top of hardy Oxalis blooming. Alhough completely hardy here, seedlings I'm growing in greenhouse before selection of best ones. Today was pleasantly surprised by this beauty.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
Re: Oxalis-2011
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »
With me now in greenhouse are top of hardy Oxalis blooming. Alhough completely hardy here, seedlings I'm growing in greenhouse before selection of best ones. Today was pleasantly surprised by this beauty.
Janis

This is a real beauty Janis ! :o :o :o Hope you can multiplie this fantastic Oxalis .......
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
I agree with Chris, a real treasure that one.

I have a new potential problem. I've grown Oxalis lobata (perdicaria now) for many years and though it is vigorous and can be divided frequently, it has never spread about where I didn't want it, I just put it in a bigger pot every couple of years. But this autumn (we are now coming into winter), all the pots around the Oxalis pot have very tiny (one or two leaf) O. lobata in them, sometimes many. For the first time ever, it has seeded and I'm pulling out 10 or more every day from the surrounding pots of bulbs. I've not seen anything that looked like a seed capsule, but seedlings they definitely are. When I lift them carefully, there's no tiny bulblet at the base, just a fine, hair-like root, about 2 or 3 centimetres long. I've left a couple to grow on to be absolutely sure, but the fact is, I AM sure already. If it's going to seed about I'll have to dispose of it though it's such a good plant for late summer/autumn colour and even now, there are a few flowers.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:35:41 AM »
Lesley, are you sure it is the Chilean Oxalis lobata and not the Argentinian O. perdicaria? The Mediterranean one and not the year round rainfall fellow?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Ray

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:56:45 AM »
Hi Lesley,the same thing happen to me with O lobata,and its all gone to garden heaven.
Oxalis gracilis.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
That's the point, Ray. Oxalis lobata should be at home with you and O. perdicaria would dry off to death.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »
Well I've always had it as Oxalis lobata but there was the article in a recent AGS Bulletin that said they are the same thing and that the name perdicaria has precedence. Is this not so? I'd rather call it lobata. But the point is that never having given a seedling in 40 years or more, this year there are hundreds, I assume from seed made in 2010. It comes up in early autumn, starting to bloom almost right away, and stays green until late spring I think. I haven't really noted when it is green but will do so from now on.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Fact is that there is a precedence by the name perdicaria, botanically. Lobata is like a smaller, more compact perdicaria. From the cultivation point, they are very different plants; lobata comes from Chile where it is dormant in summer under completely dry conditions, like a Cape bulb.

The old perdicaria comes from the pampas where it is dormant in summer as well but enjoys year round rainfall even when it is dormant and this keeps the bulb plump. Many photos of perdicaria show a plant dying for a drink!

Your comments are very interesting, something changed that triggered seed production. Perhaps someone else has a second plant in the neighborhood?

Ray

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »
Hi Alberto,my O lobata went to heaven because I sent it there,it started to self seed so it got the axe.
Another oxalis that I had for years is and never self seeded but is now is O obtusa so it may be going to plant heaven also.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 06:39:16 AM »
I'd be surprised if anyone else has O. lobata locally. There are just a few houses round about and none belong to gardeners; horses, llamas, alpacas, pigs et al but precious few plants except perhaps a few roses. ::) We had a very dry summer last year and for several previous, but this last summer has been cool and very damp.

Roma

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »
First flower on Oxalis laciniata 'Sandy', a recent purchase.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
Wow Roma !!!  What a stunning beauty !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
That REALLY is something Roma! From the colour of the foliage and the chips, I would guess the colour is pretty true? Is this named for Sandy Leven?

Peter II

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Oxalis depressa - South Africa

Peter

fgas-sukkulenten.de

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »
A lovely species but not for free ranging in the garden. ::)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal