We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chelsea Flower Show 2011  (Read 5854 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Chelsea Flower Show 2011
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
Hi,

did anyone see the Laurent Perrier show garden at the Chelsea Flower Show? it had a superb carnation plant, a species, deep red and tall, all alone in the middle of a dry, sandy patch. Alan Titchmarsh mentioned its name tonight on the telly, but I didn't have a pencil and paper at hand. If anyone catches the name, please please reply.

It was also nice to hear that one of the presenters thought the best display of all was by the Alpine Garden Society. Music to my ears. ;D ;D ;D

I won't be going this year. I usually support the Orchid Society of Great Britain with hardy plants such as cypripediums and dactylorhizas, but due to the hot spell in April none of my plants made it to the show. That somewhat reduced my motivation to go. Also, sometimes I think one sees more on the telly than in person because of the crowds, even on a members' day.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:48:03 PM by Maren »
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: Chelsea Flower Show 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:36:17 AM »
I was impressed by the Dianthus also. Fortunately I had recorded the programme in case I missed it, so was able to rewind and check the name: Dianthus carthusianorum
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
Terrific, Peter, I knew I could rely on you. Many thanks. Now the challenge is to find out where to get it from. ;D ;D ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
Ian wasn't down to Chelsea for the Joint Rock meeting yesterday and with the flight disruption because of the Volcano dust clouds, that's just as well... he would not have got home. BA pulled all the Aberdeen bound flights from yesterday afternoon so they didn't have any planes stranded here by the dust. They are always quick to pull north bound flights in any case... it is VERY irritating. Wonder if the other Scots headed to Chelsea yesterday got home... haven't heard yet.  ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »
Hi Maggi, thanks for asking; the Edinburgh crew got back OK - a bit late and via Glasgow! The Edinburgh flight was cancelled by the time we got to Luton but we were eventually offered the last flight back to Glasgow, with our cars at Edinburgh airport. I finally got home about 1.30 - totally wiped out but happy! haven't heard about Sandy who went from London City.

Great day out though. Some fantastic gardens and stands in the Great Pavilion. Just checked the rhs website for the awards. Kevock got a Silver-gilt flora and AGS got gold. Fabulous news well done to all.  I will upload some photos when I've had a chance to get wake up properly.....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:42:44 AM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »
Glad you got home eventually, David.

Kevock got a Silver-gilt flora and AGS got gold. Fabulous news well done to all.
Well done indeed.
Ian said he heard the AGS mentioned last night as being a super display and it is great that Kevock has done so well on their first venture to Chelsea!

The SRGC Gang will be working with Kevock for this years' display at Gardening Scotland at the beginning of June.

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
The dianthus carthusianorum on Google seem to be pink, the one on TV appeared bright red.
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
I noticed that, David, I really would like the red one rather than the pink.

A very generous person from the South of France already offered cuttings and seed!!! What a wonderful forum this is, and the people on it. :D :D :D

Would anyone going to the show please ask at the Laurent Perrier stand for a plant and supplier list ? that would be terrific.

I knew I should have gone but it's too late now.  :'(

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
I want it also but only the red one
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »
Hope Alan Titchmarsh didn't mean dianthus caryophyllus (carnation).
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
Some images of the AGS gold medal exhibit. I thought this was a superb display of rock garden plants in a 'natural' setting. Some excellent rock work which in no way detracted from the excellent plantings and attention to detail in the crevices and other nooks and crannies (yes, I know the rocks are made of polystyrene or similar, but very effective nonetheless). Hearty congratulations to Ray Drew, Tim Lever and others (sorry for not having all the names of those involved) who worked so hard to achieve such a high standard and to provide such an advert for rock gardening. This was Ray's first time as team leader- so particularly well done.

The little Japanese Scutellaria laeteviolacea took my eye in the woodland part of the planting. There was also a wonderful Spiranthes sinensis in there too (sorry no pic of this - I find them particularly difficult to get in focus with a point-and-click camera.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
Lovely pictures. :) :) :)

Regarding the Dianthus carthusianorum, it's a conspiracy. I googled the Laurent Perrier garden, which has a plant list and a replica small garden design you can try for yourself AND you can buy the plants online, how about that for making the most of a captive audience. But the Dianthus is nowhere to be found. :'(

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
And many congratulations to Stella and David Rankin of Kevock for their Silver-Gilt medal on their first occasion. Well worth the hard work and worry put into their display. Here are some pics.

Some really outstanding plants in their display - look out for the Arisaema propinquum, Stellera chamaejasme var chrysanthus and the arching, frothy displays of Saxifrages.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
David, what great pictures. The AGS Stand looks just lovely... what super colours... a rich looking collection of  more "accessible" plants, it appears.......Ray,Tim and their Team have done a wonderful job. The display just reeks of fabulous summer, really! Can't havew been easy with the spring weather we had.... so much material must have been past ages ago... great to see such a profusion of colour.

The Rankins have done well to gain a Silver Gilt Award at their first Chelsea.... the logistics of managing all that in London from Lasswade is horrifying to me! The Stellera are almost as good as Darren's!Some great plants and a novel display.
Exciting to have these pictures to enjoy, thanks, David  8)

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
Also in the Grand Pavilion, the Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden exhibit is magnificent! A two-sided representation of distinct South African landscapes. Side one with xeric plants, side 2 with proteas galore with a Table Mtn back drop.......
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:20:23 PM by DaveM »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal