We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chelsea Flower Show 2011  (Read 5853 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Chelsea Flower Show 2011
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Shows-Events/RHS-Chelsea-Flower-Show/2011/Video/Plants
I just found this short interview with David Rankin at Chelsea.

Stupid thing! It is the 1:33 one 'A look around the Great Pavilion'.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:51:07 PM by David Shaw »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
David

Thanks for digging it out I'd never have found it!

The M.punica are wonderfully sorrowful; red silken kerchiefs.

I only wished the TV coverage showed more - I shall watch tonight more in hope than expectation.

Frazer
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
Well found, David. I've been trying in vain to find anything "useful" on the BBC website.
Christine Walkden was doing a piece on alpines, which I hoped would cover Kevock and the AGS, in yesterday's "RedButton" service but I never managed to catch that..... all I got on the loop was the show gardens... came into the room at one point to find the picture frozen on the Kevock stand but that was it.  >:(

There is talk of choice of videos on the BBC's youtube  chaneel too, but the Chelsea stuff there is from last year and takes forever to load and plays in fits and starts. It may be worth keeping an eye on that, in case they load some later.

Nice to see Colin Crosbie from Wisley on the RHS videos, though.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
There's a longer feature on the iPlayer from last night's programme (at 0.49.15 ), probably only viewable by UK residents:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011knh2/RHS_Chelsea_Flower_Show_2011_Episode_8/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
If I hear the words "design", "designer" or "concept" one more time......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
There's a longer feature on the iPlayer from last night's programme (at 0.49.15 ), probably only viewable by UK residents:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011knh2/RHS_Chelsea_Flower_Show_2011_Episode_8/

Such fun: at about 12 minutes in Carol Klein speaks about our Corydalis 'Craigton Blue' .... of course she says it's from the forest floors of Szechuan and likes shade... when it's a hybrid (of two Chinese species) from Aberdeen where it like full sun... but apart from that...... :D ;)

Can anyone tell me which stand this was on?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:25:44 PM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
did anyone see the trough demo? A miracle happened. While they were chatting hyper-tufa put itself on the fish box. Sack the continuity person ;D
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Yes, Ian caught the trough piece and recorded it....  lord knows how long those troughs will survive...they wouldn't last six months here.
They had no hypertufa underneath the base, just the polystyrene fish box  and no holes in the box to allow the hypertufa to key well to the box (unlike the method Ian uses for his cement ones) and no word of drainage holes in the bottom.  Not a recipe for a long-life trough in our climate, for sure and I'm not convinced it would be hardy anywhere else, either! 

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
Yes, too many words and not enough plants. It's such a pity when the so called experts get things wrong, one wonders what else they don't know but talk about at length. I think it's the worst Chelsea coverage ever. And that darned Muzak .........:'( :'(

But on the bright side, thanks for spotting that the red Pink was indeed on the Daily Telegraph show garden. I'll have to wind back to find the correct name. :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »
Oh well they cannot please everybody,we have thought it has been one of the better years for coverage. We expect a low standard and filter out the rubbish such as the 'celebrities'. On the whole really enjoyed it.

I do however wonder first of all why the RHS feels the need to invite these people and secondly how they decide whom to invite. I googled one who grinned inanely into the camera and found it gave his occupation as a media celebrity?. Fortunately not being a member my subscription is not used to subsidise their jolly day out.

Sometimes its a relief to be a nobody
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
Hi Tony,

maybe you can teach me how to filter out without having to watch it all and forgetting the trivia. I'd love to be able to do that. ;) ;) ;)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
I'll have to wind back to find the correct name.

Maren, it's definitely Dianthus cruentus, Andy Sturgeon's mentioned it twice now  ;)

Also on the bright side, having recorded the programmes because I'm out at work/in the garden, it allows you to fast forward thorugh the waffle to the interesting bits. Just 'watched' two of the half hour daytime episodes in twenty minutes.  ;D
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
Hi Tony,

maybe you can teach me how to filter out without having to watch it all and forgetting the trivia. I'd love to be able to do that. ;) ;) ;)

Maren

record it and fast forward through the c..p. We do this for any programmes with adverts in them. It is amazing how short they become.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 10:56:45 AM »

Such fun: at about 12 minutes in Carol Klein speaks about our Corydalis 'Craigton Blue' .... of course she says it's from the forest floors of Szechuan and likes shade... when it's a hybrid (of two Chinese species) from Aberdeen where it like full sun... but apart from that...... :D ;)

Can anyone tell me which stand this was on?
Remember Maggi, full sun anywhere north of Yorkshire is shade. This is why I could grow trilliums and cypripediums, both shade loving, in full sun.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »
I suppose so, Anthony.
 It would be nice if the BBC and RHS could give a little more thought to the wider UK at times, though, wouldn't it?  :-X

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal