We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eucomis 2011  (Read 8760 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: Eucomis 2011
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 06:49:34 AM »
I have grown Eucomis autumnalis and bicolor in pots for some years. During winter some of the the pots have been buried to the rim in the ground in the garden. None of them have survived. Some bicolor have been been buried in the greenhouse (not heated) and the center of the bulbs was rotten. I cleaned the now hollow bulbs and planted them in sand. The results are seen on the 3 pics below.  :) Pic 4 is seedlings sown this spring. I will have plenty bicolor in flower in some years!
The safe way is to keep them dry and frostfree during winter. None the less I have planted some bicolor deep in the garden this year to see if they survive in this way.

Poul
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:43:25 AM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Ezeiza

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
Thank you, Poul, very instructive.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Martin Tversted

• Northern Nursery
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
I have had G viridiflora (peters plant) in the ground throug serverel years. Last winter was slightly below -20C and solid frozen for serverel months. It did well this year also and are producing a lot of seeds.
http://succulentsonice.blogspot.com/2011/07/galtonia-viridiflora.html

Martin
Gardening in central Jutland, Denmark. Last winter -24C/-30C...

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »
I've just received an Online NZ bulb catalogue with some odds and ends on it. I don't call it a proper bulb catalogue as it includes things like begonias, dahlias, even Lathyrus but I suppose many of the items have bulby-type undergrowths. I mention it because a Eucomis is listed which I don't recall seeing mentioned here and I wondered if anyone knows it. It is called 'Tiny Pink Ruby' and is said to grow to 40cms. There's a nice potful which looks attractive, with good foliage. www.parvaplants.co.nz Online Bulb Catalogue. I'm a bit tempted. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »
No, don't know that one Lesley but it is a real sweetie, go on, treat yourself.  Your excellent Ginger shortbread is sustaining me whilst I am papering the walls!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Panu

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
I´ve had Galtonia candidans for two years now, they are planted approx. 10 cm depth, with only natural snow cover (November-April) The minimum temps have been here around -33oC.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
I've just received an Online NZ bulb catalogue with some odds and ends on it. I don't call it a proper bulb catalogue as it includes things like begonias, dahlias, even Lathyrus but I suppose many of the items have bulby-type undergrowths. I mention it because a Eucomis is listed which I don't recall seeing mentioned here and I wondered if anyone knows it. It is called 'Tiny Pink Ruby' and is said to grow to 40cms. There's a nice potful which looks attractive, with good foliage. www.parvaplants.co.nz Online Bulb Catalogue. I'm a bit tempted. ::)
Hi Lesley, here you will find out more about this Eucomis ( and I believe cheaper too  ;D )
http://www.nzbulbs.co.nz/index.php?categoryID=1577
This one looks very much like one of the smaller hybrids I showed in August in the Lisse Flower Show and which was bred by Walter Blom from USA.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
Luit, you prove your Mastery by finding these bulbs at great prices at the other side of the world for Lesley...... well done! 8) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »
finding these bulbs at great prices at the other side of the world for Lesley...... well done! 8) 8)
Well, I am Dutch, you know. In the case of spending money very much like Scots.... ;D ;D 8)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »
.......... and Yorkshiremen ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
Thank you Luit. At first before I opened the thread I thought "but cheaper wouldn't help as I can't import bulbs" but then was surprised to see the NZ listing. I've not heard of NZ Bulbs and perhaps they are mostly wholesale. I'll write and order a few I think and also zambesiaca which I lost in a previous garden. I guess Parva Plants sources theirs there too as they use the same picture in their list. Thought I might get a couple of the little one for BE if he'd like them. Anuone else?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »
.......... and Yorkshiremen ;D
How could I forget them  ;D ;D ;D

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
Thank you Luit. At first before I opened the thread I thought "but cheaper wouldn't help as I can't import bulbs" but then was surprised to see the NZ listing. I've not heard of NZ Bulbs and perhaps they are mostly wholesale. I'll write and order a few I think and also zambesiaca which I lost in a previous garden. I guess Parva Plants sources theirs there too as they use the same picture in their list. Thought I might get a couple of the little one for BE if he'd like them. Anuone else?
Lesley, you may read some more about the breeder of the Eucomis here:
http://ippsmatters.blogspot.com/
and here:
http://www.ipps.org.nz/legacy/p-awards.htm

Seems to be an interesting man... :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »
Lesley, you may read some more about the breeder of the Eucomis here:
http://ippsmatters.blogspot.com/
and here:
http://www.ipps.org.nz/legacy/p-awards.htm

Seems to be an interesting man... :)

Indeed he does Luit, I had no idea that the japanese were interested in Eucomis.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal