We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: In habitat; Fragrant orchid  (Read 1201 times)

SteveC2

In habitat; Fragrant orchid
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »
After three years of searching my local reserve for the fragrant orchid, Gymnadenia conopsea, I stumbled across a group of nine yesterday.  For once the drought has had a positive side as I'm sure that they've been there before but the normally lush surrounding vegetation has hidden them.  This year, due to the dry spring, the grass looks as if ten thousand rabbits have been released into the reserve, and hey presto, fragrants are visible.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:44:56 AM by SteveC2 »

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
Re: In habitat; Fragrant orchid
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Steve hope you gave it a good sniff!
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

SteveC2

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »
The scent is so strong that you don't need to give it a good whiff Neil.  It hits you from a couple of feet away.  And today's discoveries were even more scented, Marsh Fragrant Orchid, Gymnadenia densiflora, from a mire in north Norfolk, growing with marsh hellebroines, on slightly higher tussocks, but very definitely with their feet wet.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:45:16 AM by SteveC2 »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
I didn't know the two forms had been split.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

SteveC2

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Oh yes!  The geneticists have been busy and we now have three species of fragrants in the U.K.
Common fragrant Gymnadenia conopsea
Heath fragrant G. borealis
Marsh fragrant G. denisflora
The newer books list the differences, but in the field and in my cultivated plants I struggle to tell the difference; it's all in the flower shape, but I will say that from my own limited experience the preferred habitat is considerably different.  Of course if it's one very adaptable species, with a variety of flower shapes, then this is not helpful.
I know at least one forumist who will insist that they are all the same species but I guess that things move on!

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 01:17:21 AM »
Hi SteveC2,

I think you meant to say "Gymnadenia densiflora"??? ;) ;)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
Hi SteveC2,

I think you meant to say "Gymnadenia densiflora"??? ;) ;)
;D I don't think it would ever become a menace!? :o

Having seen conopsea in the wild on Cumbrae and grown densiflora from purchased plants, they are quite different. The former, on Cumbrae, are tiny plants with inflorescences about 2 cm in size on thin stems about 15 cm tall; the latter, grown in a pot, had inflorescences 15 cm in size on stems about 40 cm tall.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tim Harberd

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »
Hi There,
    Went looking for Fragrant Orchid up Wharfedale over the weekend.... almost missed them! Had to go a long way up to catch them still in flower. The seasons still seem to be very early this year!! Didn't really find what I was after... a properly white mouthed deep pink. Saw quite a bit of Twayblade, and oddly, a fair bit of Birdseye Primrose, which should have finished weeks ago. Perhaps its re-flowering after the early spring? The previous post of densiflora made me chuckle, not just because of the spelling, but also because the flowers were so spaced out! I confess to being a 'lumper' rather than a 'splitter'!!

Tim DH

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal