We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 22826 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: July 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
Ian, those two plants are quite beautiful! I never forget seeing the white Roscoea for the first time at the Edinburgh Conference in Ron McBeath's wonderful talk (where I think he said he would exchange a bit for 'Red Gurkha') - it is so pure; very lovely. I have failed miserably with Lilium grayi but saw a fine example in the Rankin's garden. It is a most distinctive species.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
Hi Tim, thanks for your kind words, I have grown R. humeana Alba from seed and so far have produced a batch of pure white plants. I have also grown R. humeana from seed quite a few times seed was collected from the yellow form, pale pink and a very dark purple some good seedling and a few rather strange ones with one or two really exciting. Lilium grayi we grow from small bubils which seem to take ages but manage a few worth the effort, I post some Roscoea pictures, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
Beautiful roscoeas,Ian. I wish they were hardy here.
The first flowering of Mentha requenii for me. I placed a match to show the size
in Moscow

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 09:00:43 AM »
Hi Oleg, we think that our winters are cold here in Scotland with minus 18c all the Roscoe's, Trilliums and lilies we usually plant quite deep to save them from the frost last year it would have been difficult to break the ground with a pickaxe but as all our plants raised from seed survived they must have a degree of hardiness, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks, Ian. I've tried roscoeas several times. They can survive some winters, but then there is one after which they are dead. Yes it can be quite cold in Scotland as well as in the Himalais, but non for 6 months. This can make the difference. No problems here with trilliums with the only danger being returning frosts for early starters like T. kurabayashi. Not all lilies are hardy here. Some don't survive winter at all, others gradually deminish in size and disappear.
in Moscow

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
Some summer impressions from my front garden + some specialities

1. Eschscholzia californica + Oxalis valdiviensis
2. Eschscholzia + Campanula thyrsoides
3. Papaver aculeatum
4. Salvia patens
5. + 6. Sisyrinchium roseum
7. - 9. Anagallis tenella - last pic with closed flowers in the evening

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »
I really like that paler form of Anagallis tenella. I remember seeing it in the grass on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, years ago but it was the 'Studland' form I was later able to buy.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Knud

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
I was out taking a few pictures during a break in the rain last week, and the bees were certainly making the most of the rare sunny moment. In some plants, like the Aquelegia, the nectar is clearly difficult to get at the usual way.

Knud 
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Knud

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 11:19:53 PM »
The last picture in my previous post, of the Symphyandra zangezura, brought me on to this post of blues in the garden now. The first is a, by now, somewhat tattered Aquelegia discolor, it has bloomed for a while. The next two are Campanulas, 'Dickson's Gold' and Molly Pinsent. The fourth is a Corydalis, a C. cashmeriana?  After I moved it from a place it did not like, it seems very happy  growing up through a Fuchsia magellanica, and has bloomed for many weeks now. The last picture is of Mertensia pterocarpa, also known as M. asiatica and M. sibirica? A very nice plant, decorative bluish green leaves and many very blue flowers for a long period. They do well here in sun and shade, those in light/dappled shade stay nicer longer.

Knud
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:56:11 AM by Knud »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
I don't know 'Birch Hybrid' except the name, but your picture looks very like C. garganica 'Dickson's Gold.'  Is that possible? :) All these blues are very lovely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
I really like that paler form of Anagallis tenella. I remember seeing it in the grass on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, years ago but it was the 'Studland' form I was later able to buy.

Thank you, Lesley. Being familiar with the pale form only the darker tinted Studland form seems also very attractive to me. Thanks for the hint!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Knud

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »
I don't know 'Birch Hybrid' except the name, but your picture looks very like C. garganica 'Dickson's Gold.'  Is that possible? :) All these blues are very lovely.

Thanks Lesley,
You are absolutely right about the 'Dickson's Gold'. You had me scurrying into the garden this morning, in the rain, plier in hand to pull out the label. I have taken to bury labels quite deep so they won't get lost, but clearly it also keeps me from reading them as often as I should. Thank you again, and my apologies.

Now I have to figure out how to edit my erroneous post. I should have a "Species check" button in addition to the "Spell Check" button.  ;D

Knud

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 08:13:36 AM »
Knud, I like your 'blues', especially Campanula 'Molly Pinsent' which has very elegant flowers, and the exquisite Mertensia - these have never done well with me but the whole Borage family is particularly fascinating.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
A couple of taller plants here this week: Sencio jacquemontianus, aka Ligularia j. I don't know which name is the current valid one. And Notholirion bulbiferum, which I suddenly discovered in bloom yesterday morning. Can't even remember having planted it. Probably a small seedling that eventually has grown big enough to bloom.

Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Editing your own posts
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
Knud, and other Forumists who are unaware of this facility..... it is simplicity itself to edit your own posts: click on the "Modify" button shown in the menu top right of the post and the text  box will open for you to edit at will. You can also add/delete photos as well as edit text.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal