We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum 2011  (Read 8750 times)

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
This is about Tr RHOMBOIDEUM but can be extended to other species. I've been given a few seeds of this species. Only one germinated and bloomed. The result was not what I expected. This seems to be a hybrid between Tr RHOMBOIDEUM and ( probably ) Tr BEUTHII. When pollinators are doing their job you can't be sure of what you get ( unless you hand pollinate the flowers )...and the plant produced no tuber nor any seed...so...goodbye!
J-P
Lyon / FRANCE

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:18 PM »
Tropaeolum polyphyllum is rather easy in my garden.
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
We've never got it to establish here, though there are gardens not half a mile away where it thrives..... it may be easy for you Jef, but it is still very beautiful!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »

Jozef, thanks for posting those pictures. WOW! I've tried twice to germinate polyphyllum without success. I've got some more seed so might give it one more shot before I give up. I'd be satisfied with just a single small plant let alone the cascade of marvelousness you've got happening there. Congratulations.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Graham Catlow

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
The first time I saw T. polyphyllum at RBGE I thought it was amazing and Jozef yours has reawakened my interest. I have seen it a few times now and have always been astounded by it. Although some suggest it can be invasive and may travel to places you might not want it, and that it roots very deeply. What are others experiences? I would really like to give it a go.
Bo'ness. Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
I cant grow it either yet it's a week in Bob Gordons garden. Maybe I'll ask for some to try again

Is it too late to sow canary creeper Tropaeolum peregrinum ? I would like one or two to go up a birch tree in my garden
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
Graham, Think carefully about where to plant it. I made the mistake of planting it in one of my frames and it has now taken over 2 of them moving under the path and concrete blocks. I now grow it in pallet boxes with the idea that I will drop the side to remove the roots for selling. I does make a great show and dies down quickly after flowering so if you plant it amongst things that have finished flowering at this time and can cope with a month or so of smothering it should be okay.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »
Hi Jozef,
Extraordinary festoons of flowers, leaves and flower buds! A marvellous diplay indeed... How old is ( are ) your plant ( s )? Where did you settle it ( them )? in a rockery?
J-P
Lyon / FRANCE

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »
Incredible display Jozef. Will you care if it takes over the garden - or the earth?

It grows OK for me (originally from Archibald seed) but has never had a single bloom. My mother was given it years ago by a local gardener and hers flowered (not so well as that) once the tubers had reached the bottom of the wooden barrel in which she planted them but my tubers don't go down. I can lift them any time I like, just below the surface and when I planted some really deep in a concrete tub, I never saw them again. So.......?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Graham Catlow

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »
Graham, Think carefully about where to plant it. I made the mistake of planting it in one of my frames and it has now taken over 2 of them moving under the path and concrete blocks. I now grow it in pallet boxes with the idea that I will drop the side to remove the roots for selling. I does make a great show and dies down quickly after flowering so if you plant it amongst things that have finished flowering at this time and can cope with a month or so of smothering it should be okay.
Susan

Susan, thanks for the information. The deep roots aren't a problem it's the running everywhere that might prove difficult. I will have to continue to think about it.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:41 PM »
Only a few flowers but how marvellous...
Lyon / FRANCE

meanie

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2011, 05:18:54 AM »
Mark - in my experience it is too late for the Canary Creeper. Bit of a pain as I found some seeds that I forgot to plant......

I grew it last year with the best results I've ever had - it didn't do well at my old house. But it was taken out in two days by the flea beetles in the second photo (which touched nothing else in the garden).

My Grampy used to grow Tropaeolums with his broad beans as a sacrificial offering!

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
Those look really horrid Meanie, and I've not seen anything like them here. Is there a remedy? Maybe a systemic insecticide BEFORE the act?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

meanie

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »
Those look really horrid Meanie, and I've not seen anything like them here. Is there a remedy? Maybe a systemic insecticide BEFORE the act?

It was my first encounter with them too! The whole plant (2m by 2m) was engulfed, yet the Eccromocarpus scaber which it was growing into was untouched. They finished this off and left. Many remedies, neem oil being the most oft talked about, along with trap planting - it would seem that my Canary creeper was the ideal trap plant!
Late season eggs will lay dormant in the soil over the winter, maybe not hatching until early summer. The larvae then feed on the plants roots, so a double whammy all round.
After reading up on it (this is the page that I chose to bookmark     http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-flea-beetles.htm    ) I discovered that the allotments a quarter of a mile away had suffered plague like infestations.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Jean-Patrick AGIER

Tropaeolum 2011
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »
I cant grow it either yet it's a week in Bob Gordons garden. Maybe I'll ask for some to try again

Is it too late to sow canary creeper Tropaeolum peregrinum ? I would like one or two to go up a birch tree in my garden

Hi Mark,
I do not  totally agree with Meanie. Of course Tr PEREGRINUM is better sown in spring but it can germinate and grow even if sown later: I think the dead end for sowing would be the last days of June. This is a quick grower and if well exposed can flower circa September / October. You'll have less flowers if winter comes early but it is worth trying.

J-P
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal