We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cally Gardens  (Read 1390 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Cally Gardens
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
Cally Gardens and Nursery

Location: Gatehouse of Fleet, near Kirkcudbright, Dumfries and Galloway. Follow signs for Cally Palace Hotel.

Opening times: Apr-Sept (Tues-Fri, afternoons only, Sat/Sun 10-5)

Admission: £2.50, children free. Season ticket £6.

Owner: Michael Wickenden (Nurseryman and noted planthunter)

Facilities: None, but nearby in Gatehouse of Flee there are coffee shops, art galleries and the Mill Centre (which has an extensive 2nd bookshop stacked –literally – with, inter alia, botanical/gardening books). In summer 2011 there is a photo-exhibition of Michael Wickenden’s travels across the globe searching out plants.

Gardens: Approx 3 acre walled garden containing a wondrous selection of plants (over 3500 labelled) containing the rare and unusual. The extensive sales area and greenhouses complement the gardens.

Information: free garden maps; plant catalogue (£1); mail order available; Michael is a vociferous opponent of Plant Breeders’ Rights.

Contact details: www.callygardens.co.uk
Telephone: 01557 815029
Email: info@callygardens.co.uk 

Henderson Rating: Garden design interest 3/5, Plant interest 4.7/5(in my opinion this nursery is one of the top two plant nurseries in Scotland for interesting plants).

The grounds outside the garden are also worth exploring (old oak woodlands).

Handy for exploring other nurseries in the locality such as Elizabeth MacGregor’s Nursery (Kirkcudbright, well presented plants), Buckland Plants (Whinnieliggate, www.bucklandplants.co.uk great for advice), Bayview nursery (Wigtown, www.bayviewnursery.co.uk goodish plants at reasonable prices), Elmlea nursery (for cottage plants at Newton Stewart, moiradavies@yahoo.co.uk, charming nursery) and Galloway plants (Whithorn, www.gallowayplants.co.uk, windswept yet interesting!)

and some random photographs...
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Re: Cally Gardens
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »
and some random photographs...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:03:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
Great to see some pictures of the nursery. I've had plants by post and the catalogue is an enjoyable read. I've wanted to visit for years but it is just a little way away! Even more tempted now (perhaps I should take the last chance to go to Ron McBeath at Lamberton and travel on from there.....)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
Great to see some pictures of the nursery. I've had plants by post and the catalogue is an enjoyable read. I've wanted to visit for years but it is just a little way away! Even more tempted now (perhaps I should take the last chance to go to Ron McBeath at Lamberton and travel on from there.....)

Do it Tim, you won't be disappointed ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal