We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Study Day at The Garden house 2012  (Read 3302 times)

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Snowdrop Study Day at The Garden house 2012
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
Following the success of last years they are holding another study day  ;D

I have just booked my place , yay

Following the success of this year’s inaugural Snowdrop Study Day, we have set Thursday 9 February as the day on which we will hold our second event. Speakers will be Matt Bishop (New Cultivar Developments) and Jeorg Lebsa (Snowdrops in the Wild). An expert panel will also facilitate a Q & A Forum at the end of the morning. Following lunch, there will be a tour of the Snowdrop garden as well as a sale of bulbs. Tickets £69 (includes lunch).

Please Tel. 01822 854769 for further details and to book.

Just thought  would make people aware, although i was not the first to book a place for it . Has anyone else booked a place yet ?

Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Snowdrop Study Day at The Garden house 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
It should be good lunch at that price!! ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
it was last year  lol  ;D i really enjoyed the whole day.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Janet, Judy's Snowdrops, email me about the event this morning. I thought is was just OK last year due to very poor lecture presentations - mainly one. They need a huge screen and fill the slide with the photos. The chat was great as was the food.

Isnt the Gala in Devon next year?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »

Where in Devon and is it close to the RHS February Show?

Is it too early to brush up on our elbowing skills?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

johnw

Mark may be able to clarify but I heard the Gala in 2013 was to be held in Devon and possibly at The Garden House. That would leave you with at least a four hour+ trip to London for the RHS. Rail from Plymouth to London is 3+ hours. The train hugs the coast between Plymouth and Exeter and that section of the journey takes an age.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
I heard the Gala in 2013
2013.... what happened to 2012?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
Not being a Galanthophile I'm easily confused about all their events and galas. I'm also easily confused about dates. OK, I'm just confused. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »
Golly, that price gave me a fright. An NZer who went to the Conference in Notts said that much in the UK was cheaper than it is here but our upcoming Trillium weekend is just $5 registration (2.50 GBP) to cover photocopying etc and the total cost for two days will be $70 (35 GBP) which includes 2 lunches and mid morning rereshments etc. And we eat well as you know by my avatar pic. :D Travelling over a wide area to gardens is by private car at our own expense (I'm getting a ride with T O from Australia) and  accomodation (2 or sometimes 3 nights) is at our own expense but we do try to do things on a shoestring so that as many people as possible can take part. When I look at discussion weekend costs or day events in the UK let alone the Conference itself, I doubt if I could attend any of them even if I lived in the UK.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:28:34 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

GoodGrief

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »

My observations from last year's event is that it's best to be about 7 foot tall with an extremely long reach.
And best not getting stuck behind anyone with a rucksack or overly large handbag.

I thinking of employing a 'runner' at next year's events.

Malcolm.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »
My observations from last year's event is that it's best to be about 7 foot tall with an extremely long reach.
And best not getting stuck behind anyone with a rucksack or overly large handbag.
Malcolm.

Malcolm  - When you're short an elbow can stop a 7 footer in his tracks.  ;)

johnw
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:26:00 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
Golly, that price gave me a fright. An NZer who went to the Conference in Notts said that much in the UK was cheaper than it is here but our upcoming Trillium weekend is just $5 registration (2.50 GBP) to cover photocopying etc and the total cost for two days will be $70 (35 GBP) which includes 2 lunches and mid morning rereshments etc. And we eat well as you know by my avatar pic. :D Travelling over a wide area to gardens is by private car at our own expense (I'm getting a ride with T O from Australia) and  accomodation 92 or sometimes 3 nights) is at our own expense but we do try to do things on a shoestring so that as many people as possible can take part. When I look at discussion weekend costs or day events in the UK let alone the Conference itself, I doubt if I could attend any of them even if I lived in the UK.

Lesley, perhaps the aim of one meeting was to promote/serve an interest in gardening while the other is aimed at monetary gain. You should see the prices here in Ireland. I've just read this morning of a day looking for mushrooms, priced at over 90Euro. It does include lunch - provided you have managed to pick it, I imagine.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
Wow Paddy, that's serious money. Our Trillium officers and organizers are all volunteers too and do it for the love of their chosen genus. As well there are salestables for those who want to sell plants and I don't think that there's even a price for those, or a commission on the sales, though I may be wrong there. I'll be paying a reasonable amount anyway. Only fair.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Mavers

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
I went to the Snowdrop Day at the Garden House this year & enjoyed it.

Didn't enjoy the scrum in the potting shed though, way too cramped & allowed people at the front to monopolise the sales tables. Perhaps it will be different next year. I did end up with some lovely snowdrops though.

Is £69 more than it was this year? I can't remember..........
Mike
Somerset, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal