We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now September 2007  (Read 53815 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Flowering now September 2007
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2007, 07:25:21 PM »
Rafa, I have not seen N. x perez-larae : this is a natural hybrid of N. serotinus and N. cavanillesii , is it?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2007, 10:55:13 PM »
I love the bicoloured viola Gerd. I just have the "ordinary" plain coloured form. It's beautiful though. I have several plants but they still don't give me any seed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2007, 08:35:31 AM »
Lesley, I find that these violas are amongst the strange types which in their first year they don't make visable flowers but set seed. They then flower the second year onwards but I have never again found seed. The first time I grew them from seed I threw them all out thinking they were the wrong thing, someone then told me what happened. I find they seeded around on the benches even becoming a pest. It might be worthwhile buying in some seed to get the cycle going, I don't know if I still have any 1 year old plants which will produce seed, I will have a look.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:52 AM »
That's really interesting Susan, a new thought to me. but I don't think that happened here. Mine were from seed from Jim Waddick in the USA ("Iris of China") and they flowered in about 1 year from seed and do flower well each year but I've looked carefully for seed and found nothing. Some others, like V. koreana e.g. flower in spring but no seed, then in the autumn don't flower but make cleistogamic seed. I hoped pedata would do that too, but not so far. They're about 4 years old.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »
Here are a couple of plants from my garden at present. I am still waiting for the crocus to start

The fascicularia flowered last year as well does anyone know whether these flowered rosettes are best removed?

The other plant is aconitum hemslyeanum a herbaceous climber which I raised from AGS seed. Used to be called volubile before those dammed botanists got a smell

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:03:16 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2007, 08:08:44 PM »
Lesley, I find that these violas are amongst the strange types which in their first year they don't make visable flowers but set seed. They then flower the second year onwards but I have never again found seed. The first time I grew them from seed I threw them all out thinking they were the wrong thing, someone then told me what happened. I find they seeded around on the benches even becoming a pest. It might be worthwhile buying in some seed to get the cycle going, I don't know if I still have any 1 year old plants which will produce seed, I will have a look.

Susan,
Are you sure that you are talking about Viola pedata and not about V. pedatifida or one of the other numerous violets with diveded leaves? It is known that pedata is not able to produce seeds in a cleistogamous way (without open flowers).
It was not unusual to receive Viola pedatfida when I ordered pedata, even from US - seeddistribution.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »
You're right there Gerd. I received V. pedatifida from several sources, as V. pedata and almost gave up in despair until a plea on Alpine-L brought a generous response from Jim Waddick in Kansas. V. pedatifida seeds about freely while pedata doesn't at all, at least, not with me.

Ian I'm dismayed at the name change for Aconitum volubile. I've just written out a new, permanent label for mine. Yours may have been my seeds as I've sent it to AGS a couple of times in the last few years. It's such an attractive plant, everyone should have it.

I don't think I'd be removing the flowered rosettes of the Fascicularia unless they died, as some do, Saxifraga for instance. What an interesting plant. I don't know that one at all. What family is it? A bromeliad maybe? The flowers look like a small version of Puya blooms. Did you get seed from it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:35:57 PM by Lesley Cox »

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2007, 11:06:30 PM »
Lesley nice to know the aconitum came from a good home. I have 2 or 3 nice plants now which give a good show at this time of the year.

I think you are right it is a bromeliad and like the puya comes from Chile but is hardier at least with me. I am not sure about the seeds as I did not try to save them last year because it does produce offsets, but I will look after it has finished flowering and if it does and you are interested let me know
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Yes Gerd, it was pedatafida, I mistakenly thought this was the plain version of the bicoloured pidata, I just persumed the reason why I never got pedata seed was that my plants were origionally cuttings.
I have another species of viola that drives me mad seeding about everywhere without flowering, what a weed >:(
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2007, 09:16:20 AM »
Yes Gerd, it was pedatafida, I mistakenly thought this was the plain version of the bicoloured pidata, I just persumed the reason why I never got pedata seed was that my plants were origionally cuttings.
I have another species of viola that drives me mad seeding about everywhere without flowering, what a weed >:(

Unfortunately seeding around and no open flowers is the behaviour of
most of the Japanese violets, especially of those from the Adnatae section, such as chaerophylloides, mandshurica, variegata etc., etc.
All of them most attractive according pictures but maybe only in Japan.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »
Two seed pods of a tropical Crinum sp. from Mexico sitting on a book shelf. One has sprouted a shoot. :o
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2007, 08:17:55 PM »
Poor little things, Anthony, plant them for goodness' sake  :-\

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »
Already done. I was expecting them to produce seeds or just shrivel up. :-\ Here's a pic of the plant in flower. It's not a crinum but the Beach Spider Lily (Hymenocallis littoralis ).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:24:24 PM by adarby »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2007, 09:30:09 PM »
Pretty thing, looks like a Pancratium to me......have those taxonomists been at it again?

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2007, 09:39:59 PM »
New World vs Old World? Both are amyrillids.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal