We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop events 2012  (Read 58514 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Snowdrop events 2012
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
Now I see what you mean about the hats - they are great, even better collectors items than the snowdrops! Does anyone remember the famous gardener Thelma Kay; she was an extremely fine gardener and also maker of hats. Maybe the two go together?

That's amazing Tim ... we were only discussing Thelma a few days ago.  We were fortunate enough to welcome her as a lecturer to East Lancs AGS many moons ago and to visit her garden in Cheshire on a group outing.  What a formidable, but enchanting character.
She welcomed us to her garden and lectured indoors with her navy blue hat on.   ;D

... And well done - you have forced me to contribute to a SNOWDROP topic (completely against my better judgement)!   :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:02:39 PM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #241 on: February 18, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
Yes - Thelma came and talked to our HPS Group and stayed with us. I was amazed what she was growing in her garden in what I thought was the freezing cold 'north' - plants like Bomarea which flowered and set seed on the wall of her house. In fact I realise now that the climate here may well be colder with the continental influence. Apparently she was a friend of Lowry and had one of his paintings, so hats and gardening, and wonderful art (and she was also a magistrate) all go together. It says a lot about the value of gardening!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
And their fame continues to spread.

http://sea-of-immeasurable-gravy.blogspot.com/2012/02/shiny-happy-people-2012.html?spref=fb

;D

Am I the only person thinking there is a business opportunity here for Emma and Mrs T. making  Elizabeth Harrison Hats?  ??? ;)

I will get right on it  ;D and will have a word with Mrs T  aka some lady lol
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

« Reply #243 on: February 18, 2012, 01:28:02 PM »
some hats in the making and 4 finished hats  ;D
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »
Emma, this is so nice!!!

Your mother is very creative. Next year you can sell some at the Gala. I would be the first to buy one.

Second row, second hat is my favorite!

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »
Our snowdrop day happened today. As usual it was cold and trying to snow now and again. The plant stall raised over £400 from under 12 varieties for sale £5 to £20 each with one or two bulbs per pot. Two gardens as usual were fantastic with some great clumps of desireable snowdrops.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

These are superb!

And SUCH fun!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

emma T

« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »

These are superb!

And SUCH fun!

Why thank you  :-*

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »
Went to the CGS Snowdrop group meeting today in Northiam,Kent,then on to the Gardens at Great Dixter,a superb day and thankfully we missed the rain,ooooooooooh and I actually won a prize in the raffle(makes a change for me)great to meet up with some forum members,and lurkers.......................you know who you are ;D ;D ;D
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

steve owen

« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »
Utterly zonked after a round trip to the Dutch event at Boschoeve via a Study Day at Colesbourne.   Thanks to Alan B for the suggestion, and to forumists Lina and Loes who were so hospitable, and all their friends including Hanneke van Dijk and Annie Fallinger. Gert-Jan van der K gave a fascinating talk liberally laced with pictures of the desirable and unattainable. Boschoeve is essentially a huge barn + polytunnels where you can buy every spring bulb imaginable, anemone, paeonia, oxalis, dahlia, flowering shrubs at prices much lower than UK, etc. Purchased Funny Justine and Rheingold. Quietly spent 2 euros on a greentip 4x4 woronowii lurking in a crate of ordinary worononwii. Visited Harry Pierik's  fascinating Zwolle garden and saw the first poc scharlockii. On to Leiden to buy a violin and back to the Hook, off the ferry at Harwich at 6.30 am, and down to the Northiam CGS event where SRGC aficionados were noticeably thin on the ground (maybe you are all back at work making money to afford Feb. 2013?),  started nodding off during the talks, came home and crashed.  
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

emma T

« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
ooo id love a 'Funny Justine ' just for the name alone (it also looks quite quirky  ::)  )

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
I'd have bought some also - maybe next year I'll visit the Netherlands as an alternative to the Gala
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
Visited their nursery last march and left my e mail address for one this year, and heard nothing,I see they were advertised on the web site at 40 Euro's,and said they were sold out
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »
It was indeed a lovely day at the Boschhoeve and in Harry Pieriks garden. It was very nice meeting Steve and all the others mentioned. Next week in Nettetal we hope to meet forumists and/or lurkers too.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
Yes - Thelma came and talked to our HPS Group and stayed with us. I was amazed what she was growing in her garden in what I thought was the freezing cold 'north' - plants like Bomarea which flowered and set seed on the wall of her house. In fact I realise now that the climate here may well be colder with the continental influence. Apparently she was a friend of Lowry and had one of his paintings, so hats and gardening, and wonderful art (and she was also a magistrate) all go together. It says a lot about the value of gardening!

I knew Thelma well and in fact the bomarea which was a wonderful sight grew under a plastic roof of her carport in a narrow bed.

She did indeed have a Lowry which was hung in the lounge.Formidable yes but generous to a fault with her plants.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal