We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop events 2012  (Read 58511 times)

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
Re: Snowdrop events 2012
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »
some hats in the making and 4 finished hats  ;D

How did I miss this thread?!  What a surprise to see my head on that blog!  A lady did come up to me and ask me if she could take a photograph of the hat as she said she collects anything to do with snowdrops!  She asked me where I bought it - and I answered ......well....from some lady on ebay of course  ;)

Love the new collection of designs.  I like the one on the second row (left) and the grey version of mine at the bottom.  Everyone on the forum should own one and wear them to the RHS next year - Arabella will be running around in pure excitement.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2012, 01:12:16 AM »
Went to the CGS Snowdrop group meeting today in Northiam,Kent,then on to the Gardens at Great Dixter,a superb day and thankfully we missed the rain,ooooooooooh and I actually won a prize in the raffle(makes a change for me)great to meet up with some forum members,and lurkers.......................you know who you are ;D ;D ;D

Glad to hear you missed the rain Chas.  I really wanted to go and had the ticket and everything....but I cannot drive as my sight is very blurry now and I can hardly read let alone drive.  Roll on 6th March when I go to Moorfields Eye Hospital to get it sorted out.  What was the collection at Dixter like?  Who was selling at the CGS?  Any photos anyone?
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
... and saw the first poc scharlockii.   

That would be 'Charlotte Jean' I take it Steve?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
Firstly a picture of Hunton Giant growing well in David and Anke Way's garden,which we visited the day before the CGS Day

Secondly a couple of pictures from Great Dixter on Saturday Afternoon before the rains came

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:48:16 PM by chasw »
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
... and saw the first poc scharlockii.   

That would be 'Charlotte Jean' I take it Steve?

I was with Joe Sharman when he found "Charlotte Jean" (as it has now been named).  Although it has a split spathe, it was in amongst a large population of entirely normal nivalis snowdrops growing "wild".  So there is nothing whatsoever to suggest it derives from scharlockii snowdrops; it just shares a common feature of a split spathe.
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »
I was with Joe Sharman when he found "Charlotte Jean" (as it has now been named).

She's immaculate.  Has she hit the streets yet?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
 ;D 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
We were very lucky to have a beautiful sunny day for the snowdrop and hellebore day at Goodnestone Park in Kent. Something like 550 people turned up, though relatively few real snowdrop afficianados. But then you only need a few to generate quite a bit of excitement! Rod and Jane Leeds brought some really special varieties along and my long awaited desire for the distinct 'Godfrey Owen' was satisfied. Rod gave a talk at midday on winter and early spring bulbs, which was fascinating and entertaining, and introduced many of us (even knowledgeable AGS members!) to a host of new and different plants, such as the Japanese 'tulip' Amana edulis (very hardy and flowering now), a range of new forms of Eranthis, a number of crocus (dalmaticus really stood out for me), a mouthwatering selection of snowdrops of course, and some fine fritillaries (including the very nice yellow form of pyrenaica).

The garden at Goodnestone does not have a wide selection of unusual snowdrops but has been planted with increasing drifts of nivalis over the past ten of fifteen years which make a fine show under the trees. The owner, and maker of much of the garden, Margaret Fitzwalter, has been a good friend of the Kent Hardy Plant Society for many years, and it makes a pleasant and relaxed place to hold an event like this. The success of the snowdrop day over the last ten or so years prompted us to celebrate with a 'Snowdrop Cake' (actually suggested by pictures put on this forum earlier on - so our thanks), which made a nice morsel at the end of the day.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #263 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
I was with Joe Sharman when he found "Charlotte Jean" (as it has now been named).

She's immaculate.  Has she hit the streets yet?

johnw

There is a picture here http://galanthus-online.de/kultivare-a-d/charlotte-jean.html

To the best of my recollection, Joe Sharman sold a small number via his list in 2010.  These were sold as "Charlotte" but the name was changed to "Charlotte Jean" when it became known that there was already a snowdrop named "Charlotte".  Since then I understand he has sold a few more at shows (I'm indebted to 'KentGardener' who told me some of this). 
Almost in Scotland.

ChrisD

« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
Firstly a picture of Hunton Giant growing well in David and Anke Way's garden,which we visited the day before the CGS Day

Chas

I tend to prefer the taller/larger drops, is Hunton Giant really a giant? Lovely group in your photo but it is always difficult to get an idea of scale from a photo.

What others do people grow that are noticeably taller?

Thanks

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »
I dont own any pocs because of the difficulty telling them apart without labels. I would buy Charlotte Jean. Who sells it?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
This Sunday is Margaret Owen's snowdrop day. All money raised from entry, snowdrop sales, soup, cake, coffee, tea goes to MS.

If you go you will meet Ian Christie. I'm sure he'll be amazed by her collection and will anyone who has never been. Sadly the N. Irish 3 are not attending this year. I wish I was

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
This Sunday is Margaret Owen's snowdrop day. All money raised from entry, snowdrop sales, soup, cake, coffee, tea goes to MS.

If you go you will meet Ian Christie. I'm sure he'll be amazed by her collection and will anyone who has never been. Sadly the N. Irish 3 are not attending this year. I wish I was

Mark, is there a link to a website with info on opening time, directions etc?
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #268 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »
The address is Acton Piggot near Shrewsbury. There will be signs up pointing the way. Gate open at 11am or maybe 12pm

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #269 on: February 21, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
.... I would buy Charlotte Jean. Who sells it?

Pay attention Mark; Joe Sharman has been offering for sale since 2010, but only occasionally. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal