We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Forde Abbey October 2nd. 2011  (Read 1709 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Forde Abbey October 2nd. 2011
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
With a few days to ourselves for a change and continuation of some beautiful weather we took ourselves off to Forde Abbey for a few hours.

Forde Abbey is in South Somerset (and very nearly in West Dorset) and is an estate of some 30 acres of gardens and woodland surrounding a lovely house. It was founded by Cistercian monks over 800 years ago and it became one of the richest and most learned monasteries in the country. After the dissolution (Henry VIII) in 1539 the Abbey lay empty until 1649 when it started to be transormed into the house as it stands today. The house and estate are privately owned with income raised from visitors ploughed into the running of the estate.

The gardens consists of a walled garden (veg and flowers) with much of the produce being served in the tea room; mixed borders of some length and parkland. The tea room is quite good but staffed by "Sunday girls" whose customer service skills approximate to Rudolph Nureyev's rugby league skills!!

Some pics:-

The House.
Two views of the walled garden
Five general garden/parkland views.
As a founder member of the DPAS (Drain Pipe Appreciation Society) I had to show you these two! Bet this is a Forum First ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:45:52 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Forde Abbey October 2nd. 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »
Some more:-

I wouldn't want to cut the hedges on this estate, there seems to be acres of them. One bit here.
A representative Border shot-mixed borders throughout with one border given over to Dahlias.
A 30 foot (9 meters) high fountain I thought was probably worth two shots.
Three Dahlia close ups- a shot of the whole Dahlia border just didn't do it justice.
Nerines-on account of my total inability to grow them.
Cyclemen hederifolium

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:48:18 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
..... and yet more:-

A Salvia I hadn't seen before-Salvia dombeyi
In the bog garden some Candelabra Primulas were in full flower
Could some one ID this for me please (foliage in final shot) a pretty little thing

Fini
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
What a super place.......I must stop looking at these threads as though they were Estate Agents details, though.... it is too tempting and I really can't afford it!

I think your cute yellow plant is a californian poppy, David... Eschscholzia californica
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:29 AM »
What a super place.......

.... indeed    !   ....  and the Salvia is very interesting. David, was it in a
container or growing in the open ground?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks for the ID Maggi.

Gerd, Salvia dombeyi was growing in the ground in a border backed by a high brick wall and surrounded by other shrubs. They even had small plants for sale in the Plant centre. I didn't buy one, it wouldn't last five minutes in my windy garden.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »
Just been re-checking my pics as I thought I had made a mistake (but I hadn't) and noticed that the greater number of views had been made to my Interesting Drain Pipe pics. Can we form a sub-group of the DPAS Maggi? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
Just been re-checking my pics as I thought I had made a mistake (but I hadn't) and noticed that the greater number of views had been made to my Interesting Drain Pipe pics. Can we form a sub-group of the DPAS Maggi? ;D
Just goes to prove that photos of people or of something quirky are usually of the greatest interest to readers.... shows that the folks reading these pages are intrigued by so much more than flowers alone.
I contend that is a sign of a well rounded mind  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
I haven't been to Forde Abbey for years but it used to have a superb nursery associated with (run independantly I think) with all sorts of unusual plants and a fantastic variety of crocosmia. Just shows my priorities!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »
I haven't been to Forde Abbey for years but it used to have a superb nursery associated with (run independantly I think) with all sorts of unusual plants and a fantastic variety of crocosmia. Just shows my priorities!

As far as I know Tim it's still run independently.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

AndyStuart

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
What a nice way to spend a day :)

The pictures look lovely, but I can imagine caring for such a large scale project can be a complete nightmare!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
Yes, it was Andy. All the much nicer because I didn't have to worry about maintaining it ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »
I thought the Salvia was a Fushia
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »
You know what thought did Mark ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »
I had missed this thread earlier on David !
What a superb landscape garden it is !!  Thanks for showing it !
One to put on the never ending list...  :P
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal