We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A Visit to the Garden House garden  (Read 4779 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
A Visit to the Garden House garden
« on: September 08, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
It being a beautiful day today (25C at 1400 hours) we paid a visit to the Garden House this afternoon see www.thegardenhouse.org.uk as well as in English the Site is in French, Dutch and German.

The garden is situated on the very edge of Dartmoor between the villages of Crapstone and Buckland Monachorum (Buckland from Old English 'bok-land' meaning Charter Land and Monachorum from Latin 'of the Monks') about 10 miles from Plymouth and about 35 minutes drive from where I live. It's only my second visit in 20 years of living in Devon-disgraceful! The garden was originally set out in the early 1940s by Lionel Fortescue of Mahonia x media 'Lionel Fortescue' fame and is now owned by the Fotescue Trust, and the present Head Gardener is Matt Bishop of Snowdrop fame. Coffee and cakes of all descriptions were first class!!

The gardens include a walled garden, a South African garden, cottage garden, woodland gardens, Acer garden etc etc. It was our first garden visit since I obtained my new camera. To the forefront of plants on display were some absolutely beautiful Colchicum species that in the warmth were fully open and displayed to perfection above a dried bracken mulch; as were Cyclamen hederifolium in all shades of pink and white and a collection of Roscoea species. BUT you will have to take my word for these as when I got home and downloaded my camera not one shot of these, and I must have taken 20, has been recorded. OK my fault, but I have yet to find out how I made the error. I have been reminded (numerous times since we arrived back home! ::)) that the whole object of having a digital camera is to review shots having taken them! YES I KNOW!-but I didn't-so there!!

Also failing the Nicholson test were some shots of Hellebores in full bud and some indeed fully open. What shots that did survive are below and I hope that in particular friends overseas will find them of interest.   
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: A Visit to the Garden House garden
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 07:40:08 PM »
Part 2.

Some of the Nerine hybrids were over a month earlier flowering than normal. Two hybrids of N. bowdenii with N. sarniensis bred by a Devon breeder, the late Terry Jones of Zeal Monachorum follow as well as some general flowery pics:-

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 07:42:24 PM »
Final Part.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »
Great pictures, David, and lovely weather you had. When I was there a few years ago in May it was overcast, dull and raining on and off (though pictures had good colour).  Did you visit Killerton House garden?  May would be the best time there, though.
Still, it's nice to see the Garden House in sunshine as my abiding memory is dripping foliage.

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
Nice pictures David. I've had my camera for 3-4 years now and still get unexplained glitches. First couple of days in Austria recently had a tussle with the macro settings, still not happy they're back to what they were.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 09:44:44 PM »
Thanks for this, David... nice down there, isn't it? !!
I have no idea how to review the pictures, other than  immediately after each is taken , with any of the cameras here. :P :-[ :-X :-\  I know that it is possible to scroll through them all and delete as you go but I have no idea how to.... must attend one of these digital photography workshops sometime. ::)
Anyway... the ruddy buttons are too small!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »
You got to go there at snowdrop time!

The Geraniums looks like 'Rozanne'
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:47:38 PM »
Thanks for another wonderful English garden David. But we'd really like to see the colchicums. You make them sound so good. If it's only 35 mins away, how about another quick trip this afternoon. Nice Sunday drive? :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »
If it's only 35 mins away, how about another quick trip this afternoon. Nice Sunday drive?

You could go out for lunch, too, en route  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »
Lovely garden isn't it, and nice photos David...were the Eucomis and Kniphofia flourishing in the African garden?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 12:45:34 AM »
great pub food nearby too. Ask Matt the head gardener where he took Margaret and Mark

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 12:46:53 AM »
while I think about it there is no excuse not to see the garden at least once a season!!

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 10:00:28 AM »
Great stuff David !
Thanks for showing us and as for the Colchcums... >:( -  I join Lesley, there's absolutely no excuse not to go back  ;D !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 10:01:43 AM »
Great pictures, David, and lovely weather you had. When I was there a few years ago in May it was overcast, dull and raining on and off (though pictures had good colour).  Did you visit Killerton House garden?  May would be the best time there, though.
Still, it's nice to see the Garden House in sunshine as my abiding memory is dripping foliage.

Heather, we normally go to Killerton three times a year. To see 1: the Snowdrops and Cyclamen coum; 2: the Rhododendrons and Camellias; 3: the Autumn colour. Maybe we go there more often because one of my friends is a National Trust member and I borrow his card so don't have to pay to get in-Yorkshire blood again!!  
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »
Lovely garden isn't it, and nice photos David...were the Eucomis and Kniphofia flourishing in the African garden?

Brian,  all of the Eucomis and most of the Kniphophia in the African garden were way past their best but there were some Kniphofoa in the general borders in full flower.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal