We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Terrestrial orchids 2011 to 2014  (Read 71242 times)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: Terrestrial orchids 2011 to 2014
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
I had three of Rareplants' un-named Ponerorchis forms last spring, having been unsuccessful with the Thompson and Morgan ones the previous year. I lost two fairly quickly - poor growing technique, entirely my fault  :( - but the other one had a wonderful flower. I treated it the same way as I treat my Disas, so it's fairly dry in the winter when the temperature drops, and reading the above comments, I hope it wasn't too dry this winter.
Here's what it looked like last year -
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Darren

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
That is a nice one Peter.

If the tubers still feel firm then all should be well. The (small) ones I lost had shrivelled and become very flaccid. The bigger ones were more resistant, having more bulk, and were fine.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
Peter very nice, not something I have tried - yet

Two more of mine in flower

Barlia robertiana in flower at about the right time

Ophrys tenthredinifera which flowered in March last year
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Peter Maguire

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »
Having been worried that I had kept my Ponerorchis too dry over this winter, I went out and repotted the plant, to find two large plump tubers, one with a daughter tuber attached - result! :D
Incidentally the labels in the pot says that they came from Rareplants in 2010, not 2011; he's probably due to import some more soon.

Now I'm wondering what the two that died would have looked like....

Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Peter very nice, not something I have tried - yet

Two more of mine in flower

Barlia robertiana in flower at about the right time

Ophrys tenthredinifera which flowered in March last year
Very,very nice Tony.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
Tony

Very nice indeed
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Roma

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
Peter, I bought 6 Ponerorchis from T&M last year.  I potted 3 to a pot and 2 grew in each pot.  Only one grew a reasonable plant.  2 of the others did not open properly.  The same happened with an unexpected survivor from the previous year (erratic watering and the very cold winter).  Maybe I did not water enough at the right time.  I must investigate and see if any have survived this year.  The last picture is the survivor from 2010.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »
Hi,

I bought 9 Ponerorchis graminifolia from T&M and they all died. I also bought some at the Peterborough International Orchid show last July from a Far Eastern supplier (sorry, can't remember either the name or the country). They did rather better and I now have some nice fat tubers to be potted soon.

Jacques Amand has them in his catalogue, which came through the door yesterday, at £2.50 each or £22 per 10. You can buy a mixture or named varieties: Red Point, Purple on white and White (bulbs@jacquesamand.co.uk).

I remember Paul Cumbleton had some beauties growing in his home greenhouse. Perhaps he can be coaxed to tell us where he got them from??? :) :) :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:59:30 AM by Maren »
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »
Maren,
Thanks for that information, the one I pictured above from Rareplants was just a purple on white unnamed clone. Now that I know I can succeed with them, the price for 10 from Amand's looks like a definite possibility :D

Roma,
The 6 I bought from T&M were quite small tubers, so I suspect that intermittent neglect on my part - something my plants have to live with as part of their 'un-natural' selection - was the reason for their demise, the tubers were certainly quite firm and healthy when they arrived. :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:12:22 AM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
Re: Corybas diemenicus, finally managed a half decent picture of my little treasure. I found this a very difficult plant to photograph. The flower texture is quite stiff and waxy and causes reflections everywhere so that it appears rather murky and out of focus.

The close-up shows that the side of the upside down lip are quite transparent, as you can see the green of the leaf and the orange of the seramis shining through. The stem is 1cm long and since the compost has settled in the pot, the Corybas can lo longer look over the rim. But it's very happy and has been in flower for 2 weeks now.

Thanks again, Darren. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:22:04 AM by Maren »
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 10:13:15 AM »
That's looking very nice Maren.
Peter Maguire

Darren

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »
Re: Corybas diemenicus, finally managed a half decent picture of my little treasure. I found this a very difficult plant to photograph. The flower texture is quite stiff and waxy and causes reflections everywhere so that it appears rather murky and out of focus.

The close-up shows that the side of the upside down lip are quite transparent, as you can see the green of the leaf and the orange of the seramis shining through. The stem is 1cm long and since the compost has settled in the pot, the Corybas can lo longer look over the rim. But it's very happy and has been in flower for 2 weeks now.

Thanks again, Darren. :) :) :)

Well done Maren - that looks great.  :)

Tony - I'm glad I've pretty much stopped growing the european terrestrials as I never could grow them as well as you do!
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
Wicked little thing, Maren. Really beautiful.
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
Thanks Darren,I seem to be having a good year at the moment but of course you never get to see the bad years!

That is lovely Marren and having seen Darren's in the flesh I am quite keen to have a go but now I realise I said that about the ponerorchis as well
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

angie

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
Maren your Corybas diemenenicus is so cute  :)

Was think of purchasing some of these european terrestrials orchids but after reading that Darren struggling a bit what chance have I  ::)
Do think they are beautiful though.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal