We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather winter 2011-12  (Read 34663 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Weather winter 2011-12
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
Only two non-rain days in December here. Maureen's non-scientific weather record shows 2011 to be the wettest year since 2004 when her records began.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Darren

« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »
Only two non-rain days in December here. Maureen's non-scientific weather record shows 2011 to be the wettest year since 2004 when her records began.

I was just saying to Susan - two days until I get back to work and I've not seen the sun for the whole of the holiday. It was the same last year except 20 degrees colder! Just a bit of sun for a day to raise the temps under glass enough to make it comfortable to work in the greenhouse is all I ask!

I suppose there is an upside - I've not switched on the greenhouse heater at all so far this winter so it's going to be cheaper if nothing else.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
My wife's cousin has suggested we go back to Scotland as, since we arrived, Auckland has had the coldest winter for 70 years and the wettest Christmas he can remember, and he's been here 30 years! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
We had the coldest winter for about 100 years last winter (2010-2011) but 2011 as a whole is one of the warmest and wettest ever! The winter is so far one of the milder too.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
We will happily take all your rain Anthony . Currently testing the drought resistance of Meconopsis as it costs me now to water them ( about $400 a go) . The only good thing for them is we haven't had any high temperatures
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
Very sunny and warm here today
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »
What I really like about the new year is we gain about 10 minutes a week in day length
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »
We started the new year with a chilly day- somewhere well below -20C overnight (wont see the figure until it's 'yesterday min(imum) and a high around -13.. still nothing extreme for this time of year, where we could have occasional daytime temps below -30 (normals are -7days/-19nights) and in fact its only one chilly day, then back above freezing for most of the week- +7 tomorrow, +9 wed! So far continuing December's trend which was mostly above normal.... still lots of snow on the ground, however..
This shot from today's (jan 01) walk in the bush on the farm... in open/low areas like this slough, snow can be just below the knees; in the forest beyond, snow would vary from a foot to only a few inches deep, with bare areas around spruce trees, and larger bare areas where the ground under those spruce gets sun....

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »
Start the year with a song about the weather:
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
Here we go again !!  The most recent storm arrived about 3am, accompanied by rain and hail.  Maybe it' s an age thing, but I just went back to sleep.  At 8am the wind was still howling.
Listening to the local news we have had wind speeds of 90mph with even stronger gusts in Glasgow and Edinburgh. The radio channels went down suddenly so there must be some damage to the transmitter aerials.    Now at 1130 it has moderated to a force 8 gale. Luckily I dug up my Asiatic primulas before they were shredded and then put them in the greenhouse - they had started to flower already.  The next job is to put the bird feeders back onto their positions.  I have had a selection of birds hanging round looking at me reproachfully as they wait for their peanuts.
To our friends in the N.E., get out your snow shovels as high winds and blizzards are coming your way.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
Gales and rain hit here about half an hour or so ago. Wondering if the glasshouses will stand it?

Hope Angela and Derek decided against setting off  today to drive down to the Eden Project ..... :-\ :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Well, this storm, christened Emil, seems to hit a little south of us! The last big one (Dagmar) hit a little north of us with wind speed 35-45m/s.
We have strong SE wind at the fjord at the moment but the house are in lee of a hill so it is not much wind here but rain of course.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:47:12 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
Surprisingly I still have two greenhouses intact after last night, was afraid to look out this morning. One of the most vicious storms we have had in a along time,lots of traffic and train disruption with roads and rail lines blocked. It is calm now and the sun is shining, but bitterly cold.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
Just had to go out and re-glaze part of one of the greenhouses,a lump of cement has come of the roof and gone through it. The wind is so bad it is difficult to stand up in it.

Quite exciting stood on top of the stepladders with a sheet of glass in one hand acting like a sail trying to get it in position as you try and stop being blown of by holding the roof with the other.At least the lashing rain helped them slide into position.

A bit irritating really as the greenhouses and frames are tied down and I had not anticipated flying rocks.

I am not going onto the roof yet to see what is happening up there,it is a question of priorities.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
Stormy weather here too. Lots of rain. A friend of mine has a big problem in her garden. Her snowdrops need swimminglessons now.  :'(
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal