We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather winter 2011-12  (Read 33956 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Weather winter 2011-12
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
Mid November and the sun sets early but the weather is mild. The fjord is without any waves at all - no boats or wind disturb the tranquility.

View across the fjord today.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Hoy, those pictures are wonderfull

Hoy

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »
Hoy, those pictures are wonderfull
Thank you, Arykana! But it had been even better with a cup of coffee and a piece of one of your cakes ;)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
We've been having fog for the last couple of days....not really my favorite weather....but sometimes I can understand why there were so many folktales regarding mist and fog.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
We've been having fog for the last couple of days....not really my favorite weather....but sometimes I can understand why there were so many folktales regarding mist and fog.

I had a friend who moved here from sunny Québec. He loved our and foggy climate, especially at night.  He said it was like living on a Sherlock Holmes' set.

120+ days of fog a year.

johnw 
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
John: We NEVER have fog! My last abode was Edinburgh which has a lot of fog (called Haar locally). I had no problem accepting my new haarless existence...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »
Haar is more to do with mist coming in from the sea. Fog is clouds that reach the ground and is much denser, with a visibility of less than 1km.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
Haar is a sea fog.... but it can reduce visibility to only tens of metres .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »

I had a friend who moved here from sunny Québec. He loved our and foggy climate, especially at night.  He said it was like living on a Sherlock Holmes' set.

120+ days of fog a year.

johnw 
Some folks are just hopeless romantics...... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
I have steered my boat in haar as thick as soup - had to navigate by the swell of the sea. It is more common in spring than in autumn here. In autumn its more like the "fog" pictured by WimB.

Panu

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
We´ve had slight frost for few days, -11oC last weekend. We got also a very thin layer of snow, luckily the forecast says even +5oC for the end of the week.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »

120+ days of fog a year.

johnw 
Some folks are just hopeless romantics...... :-\

;D ;D
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »
Haar is a sea fog.... but it can reduce visibility to only tens of metres .

Haar?? In Dutch that means something completely different....  ::) ::) We call sea-fog "sea-flame" or "sea-smoke"....
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
I'm sure Barbara Mullen would have had an answer? Sea fog or sea mist - the difference is in the thickness.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:45:57 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
We have had a rather early winter as well-- not so much temperatures: we could have been much colder in Sept and Oct than we were, but we got snow in early November that has never really left- several new snowfalls and some melting, but overall, it will be here till spring, though only a couple to a half dozen inches of it on the ground.. a few days ago we had near -20C daytimes, then up to nearly 10C (lots of snow melted on roads, around certain trees, near buildings etc, but not in shade)..
here's an image from the acreage a few days ago, before some those paths were mostly cleared by the melt, then recovered with a a couple fresh inches tonight!

On the topic of fog, its not rare here, though not really common, and only occasionally (at least at the hours we drive!) thick enough to be a real problem, though there was one night coming home from work a couple years ago that it took a couple of tries to find the turn-off onto our gravel road! Overall, I find fog pretty, and love it in the winter when it turns the trees white.... much preferable to grey overcast days without rain or snow, which I find dull and pointless...

On another thread Lori asked what I'd been up to, so I thought I'd stick it in here (rather than hijack a travel thread!): I've been meaning to drop in to the forums for a while, but between forums devoted to my indoor plant obsessions, crappy internet sometimes, and lots of outdoor work ( I actually got a couple of rock beds built this late summer/fall when it finally stopped raining almost daily, and now I've been in the bush getting firewood every day off to try to get some ahead before the snow is deep enough to be difficult to slog through!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal