We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather winter 2011-12  (Read 33972 times)

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
Re: Weather winter 2011-12
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
Here we go again !  The past few days have been very windy, with squalls of sleet and torrential rain.  The fields around have turned into lakes in many cases.  The only things that seem happy are the thousands of geese and Whooper swans who are paddling round the fields.  The weather forecast is warning us of storm force winds of 80/90mph -( 130/140kph) -coming through southern and central Scotland tomorrow.  This has been hitting us here for about 10 weeks.  It's about time someone else took their share !

We did in 1987
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
We do.

Several storms last weeks and a new one today. But mild weather again and the ice which covered everything is melting very fast.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

angie

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 09:44:15 PM »
Just got back inside from picking up my chimney top, landed nicely in the front garden. Because I have trees all around the house the noise outside is so loud. Will be glad when this wind stops. There must be some trees down arond me. Hopefully none will land on my greenhouse. Will be out first light to check. Hope everyone is cosy and safe here in Scotland.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
It seems that the worst has gone through now and now we are told to expect freezing conditions tomorrow.

Angie,
I think you will have to batten down the hatches as the storm has moved on to Buchan, Moray and Sutherland.  According to the weather news, we had gusts of 85mph.  The Cairngorms had a gust of 165mph or 290kph.  I have been in aircraft that could not fly at this speed!

I will have a look round the garden tomorrow to see if there is any damage.   I can see plastic flowerpots everywhere.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

angie

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Tom hope there isn't to much damage with you. I just hate the wind. I am gad that we felled all the trees next to the house. They were beautiful and very old but after living here for a few years and seeing how easy a tree can come down we just decided we would prefer to be in control of when these trees would come down. There are so many trees around us that after a wee while we never missed them and at least we could sleep through a storm without wandering if one would come down on top of us.

I usually have my christmas lights on my big conifer tree by now but we never got it done last weekend good job as they probably would be out in the North sea by now.

ROLL ON SPRING  ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2011, 03:48:53 AM »
Here we go again !  The past few days have been very windy, with squalls of sleet and torrential rain.  The fields around have turned into lakes in many cases.  The only things that seem happy are the thousands of geese and Whooper swans who are paddling round the fields.  The weather forecast is warning us of storm force winds of 80/90mph -( 130/140kph) -coming through southern and central Scotland tomorrow.  This has been hitting us here for about 10 weeks.  It's about time someone else took their share !

We did in 1987
Not according to Michael Fish. 8) BTW, how is the town of One Oak these days?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
Well.we got away without any noticable damage.  I noticed that a few of my neighbour's TV aerials are pointing at the ground.  Now we have just had a heavy fall of rain which turned to sleet and then snow.  What next, a plague of boils or locusts ?
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

angie

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
Well.we got away without any noticable damage.  I noticed that a few of my neighbour's TV aerials are pointing at the ground.  Now we have just had a heavy fall of rain which turned to sleet and then snow.  What next, a plague of boils or locusts ?

Love that Tom, hopefully the plague will give us a miss. Cant believe there isn't more damage. I always wanted a thatched cottage and my greenhouse roof has its own thatched look from all the fallen needles and cones. I couple of Scots Pine branches down across the road but nothing to worry about. Only need to get hubby to get on top of the roof and put my chimney top back on and everything will be back to normal.

Angie  :)
Angie T.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:56 PM »

We did in 1987
Not according to Michael Fish. 8) BTW, how is the town of One Oak these days?

Congested, I must remember not to travel through it at rush hour

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »
The weather has hit Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
That is a bit of a degrading name for a storm!

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
I've just broadened my vocabulary!  :o
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
It may be short lived? ::)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
A very nasty weather bomb passed through here on Thursday.  The Confederation Bridge was shut down as were most ferries; quite a number of power outages as well.  I hope it's not headed toward the UK! 

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
It may well be John. The forecast here is a return to strong gales and heavy rain from Tuesday onwards.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal