We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather winter 2011-12  (Read 33970 times)

jomowi

Re: Weather winter 2011-12
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »

Now where is that perfect place for me  ::)

Angie :)
[/quote]

The answer Angie is Adelaide or Perth in Spring and Autumn, Queensland in the winter and Tasmania in the summer.  Climate is all relative: Once we were driving North into the sun in Queensland in winter.  The weather was like a perfect British summer day should be, i.e. cloudless blue sky, temp. of 70 degrees F. Brian broke his sunglasses, so we went into a store in Cairns to replace them.  "I'm sorry, said the assistant, - we don't have much selection, - it's winter!"
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »
You could give Bermuda a try Angie it's never too hot and never too cold, seems to vary from around 18C to 25C. Having said that though, from my only visit there many years ago, I found it the most boring place on earth. Stick with Aberdeen love, just put another layer on ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
My husband has just landed in Glasgow after a week golfing in Portugal. He said it gale force winds and raining. I replied by saying well I have had a great day in Aberdeen I was tidying up in the garden without a jacket on. I felt warm here. Its amazing yesterday was really cold.
I would love to live somewhere warmer but to be honest I couldn't leave the UK I don't think. I feel safe where I live, mind you I went out for a walk on Thursday night and I scared myself so many times, an owl flew down from a tree and deer ran across the field and then a cone from a pine fell in front of me. What a coward I am.

David I fancy Devon. Maureen maybe I need to sell up jump in a motorhome and head off into the sunset. NO I CANT LEAVE MY PLANTS. Maybe next year will be a nice summer  ::) :-X wishful thinking.

Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
I think the wind and rain was last week - clear all over the country today.
In fact, today's weather forecast for my part of Portugal was sun, max. 20 ºC, min. 2 ºC. For tomorrow, sun, max. 21 ºC, min. 2 ºC, and for Monday, sun, Max. 18 ºC, min. 1 ºC !!! Rain back Tuesday. We haven't used warm jackets/coats yet this autumn!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

angie

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 12:47:03 AM »
I think the wind and rain was last week - clear all over the country today.
In fact, today's weather forecast for my part of Portugal was sun, max. 20 ºC, min. 2 ºC. For tomorrow, sun, max. 21 ºC, min. 2 ºC, and for Monday, sun, Max. 18 ºC, min. 1 ºC !!! Rain back Tuesday. We haven't used warm jackets/coats yet this autumn!

Maybe never made myself clear enough. My husband first two days of golf were rained off but the rest of the week has been very nice for golf. Today it was 20c as they left Portugal. Arrived back in Scotland to gale force winds.
Cant understand why they didn't play golf in the rain at least it would have be warm. I have seen him playing in freezing conditions here in Scotland  ::) :-X

Angie T.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
First real gale of the season. First two fence panels to bite the dust. Roll on spring.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
David, if I had a pound for every fence panel that you've lost over the years I could be writing this from the Bahamas . Wondering if I should be investing in the manufacturing company to make a  mint?!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
very windy and cold here. There is a threat of snow tomorrow  :(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

angie

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
I am with you David... ROLL ON SPRING. Gales here as well. Tomorrow we are meant to have a sunny day, hope so  :D

Angie T.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
Sunday we had some record winds in Alberta- the worst was south of here- in Calgary and other places- Calgary had winds up to 120km/h at least, trees down, windows broken in high rises, a grass fire near Lethbridge that was a real worry; not sure what ours got to- was supposed to be up to 60k, may have been more- I was in the bush in the morning- at first it was windy, but then it picked up and I thought I needed to get out from under the trees..lol
One of our neighbours nearly had a fire get out of hand- an old brush burning site had left coals in the soil ( a real risk here, especially in peaty areas!) and the wind whipped it up and it had crossed a driveway into grass and trees.. luckily they were able to get it under control before it spread more...
The day was up to around 13C and lots of snow melted (not all of it!) but that evening we got it back , and more over the next couple of days.. temps not bad for this time of year, though-daytimes from +2 to -8 (normal is -3) nights from -4 to -17 (normal is -14)...
here's a flash photo from that evening-- the 'stars' are snowflakes lit by the flash!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
David, if I had a pound for every fence panel that you've lost over the years I could be writing this from the Bahamas . Wondering if I should be investing in the manufacturing company to make a  mint?!

True Maggi, very true. South West peninsula = south west prevailing weather = more wind than a Scotsman on haggis and peas= David's fortune(!!!) on fence panels ;D

I read about the winds in Alberta from a post Lori made on the NARGS Forum. Horrendous.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
I think that the weather you get in Devon is like a gentle Zephyr compared to the West coast of Scotland!  We have had a semi-gale to full gale blowing for about 3 weeks, with more promised.  Nobody in their right mind uses fence panels up here.  A fence needs 100mm posts set in concrete and 12mm double cross rails to survive.
The last time I was in Plymouth in November 2009, there were severe weather warnings out for storms passing through.  Listening to the TV news it was as if the apocalypse was coming.  I walked the length of the Hoe in a strong wind but it just seemed like an average Winter's day at home.  I suppose it is what you are used to.  The Shetlanders or the folk in the Hebrides would probably think our weather was nothing to remark about.  I saw that the Buchan coast recorded a wind gust of 160km last week from a SW direction which is rather unusual.  You expect the winds to come roaring in from the NE as Maggi could probably testify
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

angie

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »
Tom the worst winds are the South Westerly here, they cause so much damage. Now the NE winds are the coldest, it goes right threw you Been here nearly 18 years and every tree in the Forrest around us has been taken down by the SW winds. Today I expected a tree to come down but only a branch of a Scots Pine broke, nice firewood  ;D
Maggi wouldn't have gales where she is, she is tucked away in the town, as snug as a bug  ;D
Angie T.

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
I NEED some RAIN/SNOW, anything humid.
It has not rained here since August. Lilac shrubs were beginning to wilt in October.
I was in a trip to the Romanian gene bank yesterday, and lots of river beds were almost completely dry.
It's unbelievable.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
That does surprise me Angie.  I always thought that windspeed decreases over the land and increases with altitude.  Of course local topographical features can cause huge increases in the wind.  We live close to a cutting on the A77.  If the wind comes from SE to East, we are in trouble.  When the wind hits the cutting and it acts like a venturi tube and comes out with considerably more force.  In 1973 we were hit by hurricane force winds from the SE.  My new greenhouse exploded and the aluminium frame was twisted out of shape.  I had umpteen roof tiles taken off and a large wooden garage stately moving down the road outside the house.   The large roadsigns on the A77 were bent double.  Hence my fixation on approaching gales.
I see on the weather forecast that there are more severe gales coming in later this afternoon - oh joy.  So Angie, batten down the hatches
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal