We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather winter 2011-12  (Read 33989 times)

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
Re: Weather winter 2011-12
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:50 AM »
This is terrible if it hits your area. Are you not afraid with all these trees around you? Do you stay up all night?

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »
Tonight we have the third gale in three days! The second was of hurricane force and have done a lot of damage. I was lucky and the gales have not damaged anything here.
StephenB, are you still alive? And what about your garden?

Yikes, good to hear your property is okay.... winter is not a time for violent weather here, usually-- that is summer thunderstorm season for us, and spring and fall winds.. in fact, one thing I look forward to in spring is more interesting skies- winter can be clear or cloudy, but not dramatic or exciting clouds...lol

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
This is terrible if it hits your area. Are you not afraid with all these trees around you? Do you stay up all night?

Lina.
We were lucky and the worst wind hit north of us and we slept well all night to the loud noise from the wind and waves. But my sister in law who lives further north, didn't sleep all night. A small house on their property was completely demolished but the main houses stood it off.

The pictures are from the newspapers.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
We weren't so lucky...hope it went better up on the farm, Trond? There is more damage down near the fjord than the last major storm in 1992, so I would say that this was probably at least the 50-year storm locally, some compensation for losing the greenhouse. Haven't heard of anyone being hurt luckily as it was well forecast and happened in the middle of the night! Luckily, my son and daughter were here and we tidied up the pile of broken glass and aluminium! This morning we were woken up by a mighty clap of thunder which is very unusual in winter here! I think Thor is unhappy!
P.S: The fallen trees are from Malvikodden on the other side of the bay! I just lost the greenhouse and a shelter wall and no damage to the house.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:43:43 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »

We were lucky and the worst wind hit north of us and we slept well all night to the loud noise from the wind and waves. But my sister in law who lives further north, didn't sleep all night. A small house on their property was completely demolished but the main houses stood it off.

Is this on the farm near me? Glad no-one was hurt. I amazingly slept right through the storm. When I went to bed it was almost completley still and I thought the storm had passed....

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:57:47 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »
Very frightening  weather. Glad none of you are injured.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
The damage looks pretty bad.  I can see why the houses here are made of stone or brick.  Tonight's forecast is for severe gale/storms to hit the central belt of Scotland and the North mid morning to evening.  Shades of Groundhog Day !!  Anyway, we have enough booze to keep us in a comfortable stupor until the end of January!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:27 PM »
We weren't so lucky...hope it went better up on the farm, Trond? There is more damage down near the fjord than the last major storm in 1992, so I would say that this was probably at least the 50-year storm locally, some compensation for losing the greenhouse. Haven't heard of anyone being hurt luckily as it was well forecast and happened in the middle of the night! Luckily, my son and daughter were here and we tidied up the pile of broken glass and aluminium! This morning we were woken up by a mighty clap of thunder which is very unusual in winter here! I think Thor is unhappy!
P.S: The fallen trees are from Malvikodden on the other side of the bay! I just lost the greenhouse and a shelter wall and no damage to the house.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse (bad enough)... did you lose plants in the greenhouse, or is it just a summer greenhouse?

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
Glad to hear it wasn't worse (bad enough)... did you lose plants in the greenhouse, or is it just a summer greenhouse?

Thanks for the commiserations. There were a lot of plants in the greenhouse including a hardy grape and the national collection of Alliums overwintering in large buckets waiting for a permanent home! I'd also sowed a number of spring salad crops, winter shallots, winter peas and there are  a number of other tuberous perennials like Apios waiting for spring. None seem to have damaged, just lots of glass splinters, so I'll have to be careful weeding! I'll protect them a bit with hessian sacking if it gets very cold. Otherwise they should all pull through - there's no sun at this time of year, so that it's just as cold inside, just drier.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Hoy

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »

Is this on the farm near me? Glad no-one was hurt. I amazingly slept right through the storm. When I went to bed it was almost completely still and I thought the storm had passed....

Yes, your neighbors almost.

Tonight a new storm hit us here where I live although it is not as bad as those that hit further north. Woke up in the early morning today (still pitch dark) when the house started shaking.
Have to take a look at my seedpots later. Hope they still are there.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »
Hoy: I'm near you at the moment, in Haugesund, so I know what you're talking about. My son in law is out to look after their summer house in Føynå ( small island outside here), and he phoned and said it is a white inferno out there now.. At home in Harstad we have not had much wind, and from what I see on the net, my seed pots now have a nice cover of 40 cm of snow :)

Stephen: I really felt sorry when i saw what had happened to your greenhouse. I do hope the plants will survive.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »
Luckily, the storm was not as bad as we expected - winds locally 70mph.  Here are a few pictures of the sea yesterday taken from inside the car.  A bit too dodgy standing on the quay.!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Hoy

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »
Hoy: I'm near you at the moment, in Haugesund, so I know what you're talking about. My son in law is out to look after their summer house in Føynå ( small island outside here), and he phoned and said it is a white inferno out there now.. At home in Harstad we have not had much wind, and from what I see on the net, my seed pots now have a nice cover of 40 cm of snow :)

Stephen: I really felt sorry when i saw what had happened to your greenhouse. I do hope the plants will survive.
Welcome south, Magnar! Have you sown any interesting new species?
Btw, did the Chrysospleniums you got from me survive?

Hoy

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
Here are the whole year in one picture:

From this site:  http://nrkbeta.no/2011/01/06/et-helt-aar-i-ett-enkelt-bilde/

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »

Welcome south, Magnar! Have you sown any interesting new species?
Btw, did the Chrysospleniums you got from me survive?

I have sown / will sow  about 500 species this winter, mostly wild collected seeds, so there will be many new and interesting species. Those that need cold treatment are already outside, ther rest I will sow in February.

And yes, the Chrysospleniums have survived so far  :)
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal