We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 10543 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: November 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
Maggie, the sun ALWAYS shines in Newfoundland!  LOL!

I thought that was  just an 'effect', caused by the sunny dispostion of the Newfies, Todd! :D

Not much sun here... dark and pretty miserable.  Not at all like the Scots!! ;D ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
Really nice to see the Teucrium aroanium earlier on. I don't know if Robert still grows it but we will propagate it next year. I have it next to T. ackermannii, but fortunately haven't noticed the unpleasant smell of this that Lesley mentions. Perhaps I should refrain from testing it! They are a delightful genus and I seem to be growing more and more of them.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »
Todd, I hope you are right ;D

The Teucriums I am familiar with are quite different from yours, Tim!

We have had mild weather, sun and no wind for a whole week. We are not  accustomed to that ;)
Morning dew and the last leaves of the tulip tree:

320076-0   320078-1
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:07:59 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Really nice to see the Teucrium aroanium earlier on. I don't know if Robert still grows it but we will propagate it next year. I have it next to T. ackermannii, but fortunately haven't noticed the unpleasant smell of this that Lesley mentions. Perhaps I should refrain from testing it! They are a delightful genus and I seem to be growing more and more of them.

Very nice Teucriums Tim ! Like the last one , it looks very compact . Looks really fantastic to me . I didn't heard about it , where it came from ?

Here probably the last flowers of  this year ? Stil some buds of Pyrethrum leontopodium opens and Androsace sericea wich always flower in the autumn .
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

tboland

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
Allium thunbergii is still going strong...this is a dwarf form...maybe its virgunculae!  Valeriana arizonica is also gracing me with a late flower.
Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Natalia

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
Kris, gorgeous Pyrethrum leontopodium, it is grown from seed?

Todd, Allium thunbergii - just a wonderful plant.

And we have snow and frost ...
 That's the last of our flowers after the first frost to -15оС. And cyclamens under foliage and snow let out flower buds....
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2011, 06:40:17 PM »
Kris, gorgeous Pyrethrum leontopodium, it is grown from seed?
Todd, Allium thunbergii - just a wonderful plant.
And we have snow and frost ...
 That's the last of our flowers after the first frost to -15оС. And cyclamens under foliage and snow let out flower buds....
The Lonicera  is  tough  Natalia . The Cyclamen looks  really hardy too.

Yes the Pyrethrum is grown from seed . It is not always an easy plant to grow as a mature plant  but it is easy to grow from seed. The seeds germinate very wel and the young seedlings doing very wel also. But after that you have to avoid to much moist . I trie it again outside ....and this is not the first time .... :-[      
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:42:08 PM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »
Tim, the Teurcrium in your second picture which I assume is T. ackermannii, is somewhat different from mine as I had it so maybe we have/had different species. The colour is right but I remember the flowers as being in more cone-shaped heads and the foliage quite a lot greyer. Mind you, it's 20 plus years since I had it and my memory plays tricks nowadays. I really like the third one you show. Have wou nipped and sniffed the foliage? Always worth a try as some are really nicely scented.

I was recently able to replace T. polium I'm pleased to say. I like the combo of white to greyish foliage and lime to yellow flowers.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
Here's a pic, taken today, of next doors Crab Apple Tree which has a smattering of blossom on it. Mind you, about a couple of months ago they took loads of wood off it so I suppose it's compensating. Nice to see some spring blossom in November though.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:20:04 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
David my pear tree has blossom on it now. Never seen anything like this before.  Does this mean it won't blossom again in spring.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Natalia

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
Kris, Lonicera it is damaged by frosts... Cyclamens grow well and give self-sowing.
Pyrethrum leontopodium I didn't manage to grow up before flowering - then there was very wet summer: (

David, what charm! Thanks for such photo:)
And at us today weather forecasters promise a snow storm...
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
David my pear tree has blossom on it now. Never seen anything like this before.  Does this mean it won't blossom again in spring.

Angie :)

Haven't a clue Angie but I bet someone will know.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »
Kris - the Teucrium musimonum comes from the Atlas Mountains. I also grow several forms of polium like Lesley mentions with wonderful woolly foliage varying from white to golden-yellow - super plants! I've only seen the Pyrethrum a few times on the showbench and always coveted it, but most plants I now grow outside. So until I make an alpine bed in the greenhouse....
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
We took a walk around Culzean Castle Gardens on Sunday and,of course, I did not take my camera.  In the walled garden, there was a Magnolia Grandiflora in flower along with an escallonia and a choisya ternata.  The last two plants were in full bloom - not just the odd flower which could be expected.  In my own garden, I have a primula nana in flower - this should be flowering in February/March.  My rhod. xanthocodon is covered in blooms and several other rhodies look as if they will also be flowering.  A sudden frost could do some serious damage.
Gardening used to be reasonably predictable as far as the seasons go but now you don't know what to expect.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

tboland

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
Some other lingering alpines...Corydalis lutea, Dracocephalum wallichii and Gentiana veitchiorum.
Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal