We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 7381 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: November 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Several people are now asking for seed and I have none left now but there may be a very little from the garden plant that is undamaged. Now that Teddy is gone the b....y cats from across the road are taking over the place. However I should have about 6 flowering plants next summer and they should give plenty seed. I'll post a new pic then and anyone interested can contact me. Mine is the one (I'm sure) pictured in Barry Fretwell's book "Clematis." I can't remember where it came from but it has been grown here for maybe 20 years or so.

Brian, even if you applied for the dwarf, you may not have got it. Helen told me that a friend of hers had been receiving the dwarf form for ages but it always had been the climber. Prof. Pawley , when I sent my seed in, refused to accept that it was a dwarf form until he apparently got more seed from another person. Maybe THAT is not dwarf? or maybe somone else altogether is mis-applying the name. Who knows. All I know is that I have sown and grown on perhps 6-8 generations now from my original plant and they are all the same and none has ever grown to more than 30cms.

Lesley,
Christopher Grey-Wilson mentions at least three dwarf forms of C. fusca in his book "Clematis the Genus".
C. f. var coreana: herbaceous perennial to 80cm; var kamtschatica: herbaceous perennial to 80cm; var tomentosa similar to kamtschatica but non-herbaceous and probably var ajanensis.

Although your plants are even smaller than these, I wonder if they can be one of those.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

maggiepie

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »

Lesley,
Christopher Grey-Wilson mentions at least three dwarf forms of C. fusca in his book "Clematis the Genus".
C. f. var coreana: herbaceous perennial to 80cm; var kamtschatica: herbaceous perennial to 80cm; var tomentosa similar to kamtschatica but non-herbaceous and probably var ajanensis.

Although your plants are even smaller than these, I wonder if they can be one of those.

I have Fusca var kamtschatica, I think it grows a bit taller than 80cms but can't be sure as it tends to go sideways after it starts to climb.
Here are a few pics.

Here is a link to Barry Fretwell website.
If you scroll down you will find Fusca Peveril which he says was originally collected in Japan.

http://www.peverilclematis.com/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:06:17 PM by maggiepie »
Helen Poirier , Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
Are they as furry and velvety as they look, or are they more solid.  They look so soft.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

maggiepie

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
Are they as furry and velvety as they look, or are they more solid.  They look so soft.

Paul, the buds look like tiny, fuzzy coconuts, the fuzz seems quite wiry, not velvety at all. The sepals are quite thick.
The fuzz seems to straighten out as the bud develops and by the time it opens, the hair seems to change colour, from brown to almost silver but they don't all behave the same way.
Some of the flowers have lots of the brown fuzz inside the flower but not always.
I find it a very interesting clematis.

Hoy

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
Helen,
I have been looking for herbaceous non-climbing/small clematis for a while to plant in the garden. Now you and Lesley have convinced me that I ought to try any of the small forms of C. fusca ;)

I have no clematis with flowers like that but the most similar I have is C. koreana. But it is a strong climber.

PS. I have a lot of seeds of C. koreana if anybody wants to swap ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:52:12 PM by Hoy »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 04:42:56 AM »
Maybe next year Trond when I hope to have some more seed available. I think the dwarf fusca that BF mentions as from Hokkaido is the same one he mentions in his book but it is still a lot taller than mine. I wish I could remember the original source though it was not from outside NZ.

I thought I might try and cantact him with pics and seek an opinion from him.

Trond, by any chance was it you to whom I promised some Iris ruthenica nana? I can't remember who it was but I think it was someone in Norway or Sweden and I really want to get that sorted out.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »
Hi Lesley,
You haven't promised me any Iris but Clematis napaulensis seed ;)

maggiepie

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
Trond, I think I still have some mixed integrifolia seeds if you would like some.
Have to say though that some can get quite tall even though they don't climb, they do need some support.
I can probably scrounge up some pitcheri and other viornas that will climb but have lovely bell shaped flowers.

Hoy

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Trond, I think I still have some mixed integrifolia seeds if you would like some.
Have to say though that some can get quite tall even though they don't climb, they do need some support.
I can probably scrounge up some pitcheri and other viornas that will climb but have lovely bell shaped flowers.

Yes please, Helen, it is very kind of you :D  I am always interested in increasing my Clematis collection! (It is not very extensive though)

maggiepie

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Trond, will try and get them out on Monday.

Btw, did you have success with the bluet seeds?

Hoy

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »
Trond, will try and get them out on Monday.

Btw, did you have success with the bluet seeds?
Thanks, Helen.

Regarding the bluets, I was both successful and not :'(
Last winter I built a new step in the garden and in the spring I sowed the bluets along the steps in a 20cm broad strip between the steps and the old bed. They germinated and I got a lot of small plants. However while I was away on summer holiday (6 weeks) the plants in the old bed had grown beyond all bounds and completely swamped the bluets. The few still living when I detected the misery didn't live for long. It was so disappointing. Much rain and high temperatures got the old plants to grow tremendously.

maggiepie

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »
Trond, they are tough little plants.
Don't be suprised to see some still there in Spring.
Hope so anyway.

Hoy

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
Let us hope so :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 04:15:59 AM »
Oh well, it must have been someone else then. I wish I could find a reference. Nothing that I can see in my PM pages but there are 76 of them! Clematis napaulensis is on its way as we speak.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 04:55:33 AM »
A few recent flowers in the garden,
Since we've already seen some clematis, here's one we have as "Golden Tiara"
321810-0

321812-1

Habranthus robustus "Russell Manning" seed of which was donated to the Seedex!
321800-2

321802-3

And with Triteleia ixioides
321798-4

Codonopsis clematidea
321804-5

321806-6

And a lovely garish Asiatic Lilium "Tiger Play"
321808-7

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal