We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifrage Longifolia Hybrid seed  (Read 1724 times)

Jlynx

Saxifrage Longifolia Hybrid seed
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
I received S. Longifolia Hybrid seeds yesterday.  I followed Malcolm McGregor's instructions by having a richer mix with sand and perlite on bottom of pot and lighter mix of sand and perlite on top.  Then I used a thin layer of chippings, sowed the seed then more chippings and sprinkled some sand.  I watered by submerging pot and placed outside in the lower section of a covered children's wooden play set.  I will make sure the soil stays moist.  The pots are now protected from excessive rain.  We shall see how it goes.  How often do I need to re-moisten the pots?

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Saxifrage Longifolia Hybrid seed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
Well, that's a 'how long is a piece of string' kinda question  ;)  I have raised this and other silver saxifrages from seed.  I keep my seed pots on a bed of moist sand in a cold frame outside, uncovered mostly.  Nature keeps them moist enough through the winter here, I would not expect to have to  add water until the spring weather warms up and then only in dry spells.  If covered I would check weekly (have a routine or you'll forget for ages!) and water if the surface has dried out. 

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:37 PM »
I've twice received S. longifolia from the seed exchanges only to raise batches of nice hybrids, not at all like longifolia, so I'm relying on the seedlings coming along from David Pilling's seed (thanks David, there are maybe a hundred or so :D)

I think perhaps all these encrusted saxes hybridize readily if growing nearby in nature or in the garden. I have a batch of seedlings from S. 'Whitehill' doing well at present, from my own seed. A few look like the original but the others have rosettes of various shapes and sizes. If I had sent seed to the exchanges people would be raising all sorts of things as S. 'Whitehill' which I why I think it is so important that the list should say "from" or "ex" S. 'Whitehill' or any plant of hybrid origin. Saying in the notes that hybrids may not come true, is not enough as people either don't read and absord such notes or don't later take the trouble to check whether their seedling is like the true plant.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jlynx

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:02:59 AM »
I sowed some of the Longifolia hybrid and the Lewisia "bright eyes" seed I received in some holes in two medium size pieces of tufa that I have.  It will be interesting to see if the seeds in tufa germinate. 

Jlynx

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
I now have 3 pots of Longifolia, a pot of S. sempervivum, S. Paniculata, S. Opposolitfolia var. Latina, S. Callosa and a couple of others sown.  Some were sown in late November, and the rest in December. They are all outside but covered.  I guess now besides keeping the pots moist all I can do is wait until April to see if some germinate.  I plan on keeping the pots covered so they do not get direct sunlight as per Mr McGregor's instructions.  When do they get exposed to some sun? After they germinate?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:30:10 PM by Jlynx »

Jlynx

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:50 PM »
On the first of February, I noticed the first two seedlings.  I have the pots in the cold frame and the one pot (out of 11) that has seedlings this early is covered with a plastic bag.  Guess that trick worked

Jlynx

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:00:55 PM »
Two of the pots sown last fall have seedlings.  One pot has 5 and the other has 6.  I am encouraged to have two pots that have seedlings and it is only late February in the cold northeast US.  11 pots to go.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »
Sounds good so far, Jlynx.... progress is being made.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jlynx

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »
Four out of the 11 sax pots have multiple seedlings.  Boy are they slow growers.  It took first two pots over 6 weeks to get second set of leaves. 

Jlynx

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:41:05 AM »
It is amazing how slowly the sax seedlings grow.  Holy cow.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
It is amazing how slowly the sax seedlings grow.  Holy cow.
The best things take time :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal