We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: midges and vitamine B  (Read 2231 times)

John85

midges and vitamine B
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
At Beechgrove potting shed a listener adviced to take vitamine B to immunise yourself against bites.
Has somebody tried that and how effective was it?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: midges and vitamine B
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
That was an interesting one, John.  I never heard of it before. 
There is vitamin B in so many foods that I never thought to take a supplement.
One of the symptoms of an overdose of Vitamin B is a rash and itchiness... so that risk is as bad as the midgie bites, heh?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John85

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
The lady said that you exude then a substance through your pores that is repellent for midges .
As a member of the Scottish tourist board said that midges were the worst enemy of tourism in Scotland and that some people working in forests have to wear as much protecting clothes as a beekeeper may be it is well worth further investigation.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »
As Maggie said, the side effects could be worse than the midges.
There are reasonably well working repellents (And confusants) that are applied externally.
At least they work for mosquitos which are my problem. Midges are rarely a problem here nowadays.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »
At Beechgrove potting shed a listener adviced to take vitamine B to immunise yourself against bites.

It is part of the folklore for repelling sandflies in this part of the world - I dont think it is very effective. Biting insects here tend to be preferentially attracted to floral scents and delicate female flesh. To avoid being bitten, take a lady with you in the field and avoid washing unless compelled to do so. Failing that use insect repellent though this does not always deter hungry insects.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
As a member of the Scottish tourist board said that midges were the worst enemy of tourism in Scotland and that some people working in forests have to wear as much protecting clothes as a beekeeper may be it is well worth further investigation.

Not only Scotland but here also. I carry a midge net in the car for when I go out to do bat surveys
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:33:30 AM »
Biting insects here tend to be preferentially attracted to floral scents and delicate female flesh. To avoid being bitten, take a lady with you in the field and avoid washing unless compelled to do so.
This has all the hallmarks of a Benny Hill sketch - something about when you'd be compelled to wash the lady.... :-[
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »
I have heard that the Army use Avon skin so soft to deter the midges
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:39:11 AM »

It is part of the folklore for repelling sandflies in this part of the world - I dont think it is very effective. Biting insects here tend to be preferentially attracted to floral scents and delicate female flesh. To avoid being bitten, take a lady with you in the field and avoid washing unless compelled to do so. Failing that use insect repellent though this does not always deter hungry insects.

Biting insects have different preferences. My mosquitos are attracted to warm preferably sweaty bodies. I have found that a quick cold shower or dip in the lake will make them less interested in me (until i have worked myself hot again). I have noted that cool ladies are less attractive. Perhaps I should have s bodybuilder work out nearby.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 08:57:30 AM »
Spent 10 years living with sandflies in Fiordland . Ate lots of Vegemite which, according to the label, is one of the world's richest sources of vitamin B . It didn't stop them biting but no one in the family had any bad reactions to the bites .

Single malts also work well . If you have enough of them you don't notice them biting . Also the sandflies tend to get drunk and fall over
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

John85

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Found on the web that vitamine B12 helps against the harvest mite(trombicula autumnalis)
So may be  it is effective only when the right vitamine B is taken.
Is Avon skin so soft also a effective repellent against harvest mite?It is a very nasty thing here and not only for cats and dogs!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
I'm not sure if the Avon spray would be effective against the "chigger" or harvest mite (Trombicula autumnalis).  :-\
 It may do no harm to try it since there is little to irritate in it. Avon says that they believe the only deterrent is the citronella scent of that particular spray..... but it works for me against the midges, for whatever reason, so I'm happy!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SusanS

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
I am very prone to insect bites, perhaps one of the reasons Darren likes to take me with him when he goes for a walk .....

I have found that Marmite does have some effect on reducing the number of bites.  I didn't believe in it's effectiveness as an insect repellant myself, but I certainly could tell when I stopped having it on my toast.

Susan
Darren's t'other half

Darren

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »
I am very prone to insect bites, perhaps one of the reasons Darren likes to take me with him when he goes for a walk .....

Susan

Susan is also really good at finding places that provide tea and cake, and more importantly, is more likely than me to have the cash to pay for them.  ;D

Though I can confirm she makes a great decoy for the midges. ;)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal