We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Loneliest Christmas trees in Scotland !  (Read 808 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Loneliest Christmas trees in Scotland !
« on: December 25, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »
Rather than sit and watch rubbish TV, we went for a drive and short walk up country for a bit of fresh air.  It was very fresh!!  We ended up on the Newton Stewart hill road - a single track road which is 1500 feet high and basically  goes through desolate heather moorland.  Cindy pointed out what we thought was a metal pole near the side of the road.  It was a self seeded spruce that someone had decorated with tinsel and we then saw another with a couple of silver balls.  It certainly cheered up a dreich day. I suppose it was some forestry worker who did it for a laugh.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Paddy Tobin

Re: Loneliest Christmas trees in Scotland !
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
Certainly celebrating Christmas off the beaten track.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
Poor wee things... they even look cold  :'(

Wonder how many folks will actually see them?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »
Well lots will because here they are on the Forum. But I think they are wonderful; someone saying it is Christmas without all the hoopla of shopping, eating etc. Maybe also saying that lonliness is a state of mind, not a matter of being alone.

I tremendously admire those Christchurch people, and mostly those hardest hit by earthquakes, who have learned to live with road cones every few metres, on their streets, outside their houses, all pointing to dangers seen and unseen. I wish I had some pictures but they have decorated hundreds of cones with tinsel, Santa Claus hats, artificial snow, silver balls and holly, everything Christmassy, making each one into a celebration and saying in effect, "We won't be beaten, we will still and always be of good cheer."

Our TV news the other day reported that somone in the south of England had taken up this trend and decorated cones were appearing everywhere in the south.

Road cones seem to lend themselves to oddities. Some months back a lot suddenly appeared topping pine trees is forestry areas. It must have taken real determination, and climbing skills to put them in place. Some are still in place on trees along the road I travel to work. The trees themselves must be at least 20 metres high.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
Tom thats brilliant. i wouldn't mind sending that picture to my American friend to show here how wee Scots decorate out trees. I think she would have a good old laugh.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal