We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Christmas Galanthus challenge....  (Read 12408 times)

Rob

Re: Christmas Galanthus challenge....
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »

31 - I feel I should know this one......

48 - Diggory

I got my previous guess wrong, I think you're right with number 48 for Diggory.

I'll have a guess at Castlegar for number 31.
Midlands, United Kingdom

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
They all look the same to me ;D
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
They all look the same to me ;D

Should've gone to Specsavers ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

loes

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
nr 44,Sickle

could be but isn`t the spathe usually bent over ,like a curl?
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
John  - Please straighten me out on the marking difference between Fieldgate Prelude and Fieldgate Superb.  I recall Martin said my FP was mislabelled  - see photo - no vernation visible at the moment on either.   Also a pic of what's grown as Fieldgate Prelude at Covertside. 

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
John  - Please straighten me out on the marking difference between Fieldgate Prelude and Fieldgate Superb.  I recall Martin said my FP was mislabelled  - see photo - no vernation visible at the moment on either.   Also a pic of what's grown as Fieldgate Prelude at Covertside.  

johnw

Sorry John - I'm no expert.  I am merely 'guessing' what the flowers are in the pics for a bit of fun  :) .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:10:14 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »

johnw

Sorry John - I'm no expert.  I am merely 'guessing' what the flowers are in the pics for a bit of fun  :) .

John and John

I am certainly no expert either but a snowdrop flowering now is unlikely to be Fieldgate Superb as it is the last snowdrop to flower in my garden see attached link shows 23 March and usually last until early April when all of the others have gone.  

John W

The top one shown in your post, is it flower yet or is this an old photo as it looks more like the real thing?

http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5090.0;attach=203706;image
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:45:08 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Webster008

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Thank you Maggi and Paddy,

Brave enough to begin but got it wrong  :(.

Rick Webbink, Vroomshoop the Netherlands

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »

Brave enough to begin but got it wrong  :(.

You will not be the first nor the last to get things wrong. This is a forum of friends sharing their garden/plant hobby, their experiences, views and information and we have all made enough mistakes not to be too worried about it anymore.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »

johnw

Sorry John - I'm no expert.  I am merely 'guessing' what the flowers are in the pics for a bit of fun  :) .

John and John

I am certainly no expert either but a snowdrop flowering now is unlikely to be Fieldgate Superb as it is the last snowdrop to flower in my garden see attached link shows 23 March and usually last until early April when all of the others have gone.  
John W

The top one shown in your post, is it flower yet or is this an old photo as it looks more like the real thing?

http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5090.0;attach=203706;image

Ian - The first photo was taken on 28 Dec 2009 in my greenhouse, so one can assume it is be an earlier flowerer outdoors.  The second photo at Covertside is dated but the marking quite different whether the vernation matches we will have to see.

johnw -  -3c and a stiff wind.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:46:37 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
I see the thread has already been read 398 times..... but precious few names coming for the drops.....
Wol and Sue will be having a good lugh, I bet!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

loes

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
35 Bo Bette ?
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 04:05:15 AM »

Brave enough to begin but got it wrong  :(.

Hi Webster, my first thought was exactly the same as yours in thinking Mrs Thomson for that flower.   :)    But then I looked in my garden and could see that Godfrey Owen is already in flower - but Mrs Thomson is a couple of weeks from flowering.  Glen Chantry, where the photos were taken, is only 25 miles or so (as the crow flies) from here - so I decided that Godfrey Owen was the more likely.

Remember - I don't yet know the answers - so I could be wrong in my guess and it turns out to be Mrs Thomson after all.  :D

I am pretty certain that I will be wrong on lots of my guesses.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:41:03 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:30 AM »
John and John

John W

Good point Ian - I've just looked in the garden by torchlight and Fieldgate Superb is only 1cm out of the ground - so I shall scrap that from my guesses.  :-\  So which shall I guess is Fieldgate Prelude?  

nr 44,Sickle

could be but isn`t the spathe usually bent over ,like a curl?
Hi Loes

I was quite uncertain - but feel that Sickle is likely to be in there somewhere (it is flowering here already).  I changed my guess from #40 to #2 and now to #44 for the reason of the scythe like spathe.  I really can't decide!  Help!  :-\  I'm going back to #2 for now.   :D

I've not grown Bo Bette - so will gratefully accept your advice on #35

Rob - Castlegar seems a good guess for #31 - I shall pencil that in for my submission.

Diane - definitely must be Lapwing musn't it.   8)

I'll find out just how badly I have done in a couple of days!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:15:48 AM by KentGardener »
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »

johnw

Hi John

My 'Fieldgate Prelude' (that a forum member kindly sent to me last season) has open this morning - with a little help from an upturned vase "mini greenhouse"  ;D .  

It looks the same marking as your flower to me.    :)
John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal