We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Christmas Galanthus challenge....  (Read 12396 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Christmas Galanthus challenge....
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
They're all "glued" to Ebay ::) :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tim Harberd

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »
Could 17 be Mrs Macnamara?

Tim DH

Tim Harberd

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Now then KG!
Christmas is less than eleven months away… when do we get the answers??

Tim DH

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Now then KG!
Christmas is less than eleven months away… when do we get the answers??

Tim DH

You tell him, Tim... the lad is slacking.......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »
Sadly there will not be a definitive answer to the names.  Hopefully everyone enjoyed it as a guessing game and that it got everyone in the mood for this snowdrop season.

Quote from: Wol and Sue Staines by Email 29 December 2011
We are both very pleased with the healthy debate your posting has caused. How pleasant to see enthusiasts enjoying snowdrops and just haviing fun. Its what our hobby should all be about!! Its nice to see so many people making the effort and sticking their necks out into extremely muddy waters!! Well done to all concerned. There are several very wise commenst to the new enthusiast  Without the foliage it is an impossible task to name all those in the pictures even if you could see them all. Believe me I did try but as soon as I rearranged one another dropped into obscurity! The sequence of flowering is the best clue. As has been pointed out Fieldgate Superb is very much later, even in this stupid year. While people are still happy to enjoy the pics and have fun we wont supply you with all the names.

(A bit of insider information tells us that Maidwell L, Augustus, Merlin [Sickle was Right], Atkinsii, X Files, and Fieldgate Superb are not in flower yet here).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:14:14 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »
Good grief, next they'll be bringing out "Where's Wally" books (that's "Where's Waldo" for the North Americans) where it turns out that Wally wasn't even in the picture!

But actually I'm inclined to agree that you need the whole plant, including the leaves, to stand a hope of making an identification. 
Almost in Scotland.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2012, 11:18:25 PM »
I have to say I am very disappointed.  I had called my husband to my computer and told him that you would be able to name these flowers.  He was incredulous, and I was in awe of all the galanthophiles "over there".  There is a bit of relief now that maybe I am not as far behind in my snowdrop learning as I thought I was.  Here is a collage I made to show my blog followers that all snowdrops do not look alike (that's what 99.9% of the world thinks).  I am sure you can name these plants even without the leaves, although there is some "Greatorex confusion" in there.  Carolyn
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »
What a lovely collage Carolyn - I love it.  I done a collage like this once with 'white' spider daylilies and it certainly makes a difference when you see them side by side.  I forgot how lovely Lady Elphinstone is.

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
Sadly there will not be a definitive answer to the names.  Hopefully everyone enjoyed it as a guessing game and that it got everyone in the mood for this snowdrop season.

Quote from: Wol and Sue Staines by Email 29 December 2011
We are both very pleased with the healthy debate your posting has caused. How pleasant to see enthusiasts enjoying snowdrops and just haviing fun. Its what our hobby should all be about!! Its nice to see so many people making the effort and sticking their necks out into extremely muddy waters!! Well done to all concerned. There are several very wise commenst to the new enthusiast  Without the foliage it is an impossible task to name all those in the pictures even if you could see them all. Believe me I did try but as soon as I rearranged one another dropped into obscurity! The sequence of flowering is the best clue. As has been pointed out Fieldgate Superb is very much later, even in this stupid year. While people are still happy to enjoy the pics and have fun we wont supply you with all the names.

(A bit of insider information tells us that Maidwell L, Augustus, Merlin [Sickle was Right], Atkinsii, X Files, and Fieldgate Superb are not in flower yet here).

I read Wol and Sue's message as meaning that for as long as folks were still guessing they wouldn't give the names.  Maybe there is hope for a list, if not a chart to say which is which... at least knowing which drops were included would be fun.  :)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
Carolyn,

a) Wendy's Gold
b) Blewbury Tart
c) Greatorex (it doesn't help that I can never remember which is which in the first place)
d) Nivalis double
e) Greatorex?
f) Merlin-type
g) Lady Elphinstone
h) Augustus
i) One of the nivalis with not much of a mark (e.g. Gloucester Old Spot)
j) Greatorex
k) Don't know
l) Lady Beatrix Stanley

By the way, I met a galanthophile recently who confessed to being a "lurker" on the forum but was loath to contribute because she feared she had insufficient knowledge, although it was evident from her garden that she knows vastly more about snowdrops than I do. So here's my ignorance for all to witness. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:22:56 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
Carolyn,

a) Wendy's Gold
b) Blewbury Tart
c) Greatorex (it doesn't help that I can never remember which is which in the first place)
d) Nivalis double
e) Greatorex?
f) Merlin-type
g) Lady Elphinstone
h) Augustus
j) Greatorex
k) Don't know
l) Lady Beatrix Stanley

By the way, I met a galanthophile recently who confessed to being a "lurker" on the forum but was loath to contribute because she feared she had insufficient knowledge, although it was evident from her garden that she knows vastly more about snowdrops than I do. So here's my ignorance for all to witness. 

Alan,

I am so thrilled that you took my "challenge".  I guess I won't reveal the answers in case anyone else wants to guess.  Since I started posting on the forum in all my ignorance, I have received several emails from US galanthophiles saying they have been lurking (kind of a hideous term) for years but were afraid to post.  Forum members have been very welcoming to me, and I believe the only way to learn is by making mistakes.  I would encourage everyone to participate.

Carolyn

Sean Fox

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »
Carolyn,

a) Wendy's Gold
b) Blewbury Tart
d) Nivalis double
e) Greatorex?
f) Merlin-type
g) Lady Elphinstone
h) Augustus
j) Greatorex
k) Don't know
l) Lady Beatrix Stanley

Alan,

I am so thrilled that you took my "challenge".  I guess I won't reveal the answers in case anyone else wants to guess.  Since I started posting on the forum in all my ignorance, I have received several emails from US galanthophiles saying they have been lurking (kind of a hideous term) for years but were afraid to post.  Forum members have been very welcoming to me, and I believe the only way to learn is by making mistakes.  I would encourage everyone to participate.

Carolyn

I would go with what Alan has already guessed but would add k) Armine maybe and i) Sibbertoft White?
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »

Alan,

I am so thrilled that you took my "challenge".  I guess I won't reveal the answers in case anyone else wants to guess.  Since I started posting on the forum in all my ignorance, I have received several emails from US galanthophiles saying they have been lurking (kind of a hideous term) for years but were afraid to post.  Forum members have been very welcoming to me, and I believe the only way to learn is by making mistakes.  I would encourage everyone to participate.

Carolyn

Just to clarify, I meant participate on the forum in general.  But I am also excited that forumists want to try to ID the snowdrops in my collage.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:24:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Sean Fox

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »

Alan,

I am so thrilled that you took my "challenge".  I guess I won't reveal the answers in case anyone else wants to guess.  Since I started posting on the forum in all my ignorance, I have received several emails from US galanthophiles saying they have been lurking (kind of a hideous term) for years but were afraid to post.  Forum members have been very welcoming to me, and I believe the only way to learn is by making mistakes.  I would encourage everyone to participate.

Carolyn

Just to clarify, I meant participate on the forum in general.  But I am also excited that forumists want to try to ID the snowdrops in my collage.

Hi Carolyn,

I realised you were encouraging the lurkers to participate in the forum. I was just trying to fill in the gaps to your collage  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:26:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »
Anyone else?  I have read the snowdrop bible about the Greatorex double ID problems.  However, one of the three in the collage is supposed to be easy to ID and the photo was taken by one of our most illustrious forumists.  Also "K" is still up for grabs, and "I" may be.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal