We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cold frame  (Read 1543 times)

Jlynx

Cold frame
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
I just ordered Halls single poly cold frame.  I plan to move all or most of my recently sown saxifrage into the cold frame when it arrives. Any advice or "do's and dont's" regarding using the cold frame for seed germination would be greatly appreciated. 

wooden shoe

Re: Cold frame
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
In my opinion a cold frame is very usuable to control the circumstances, some sensistive plants can survive whereas they would not in your garden. The downside to this is that seedlings will have a bad time once transplanted from the protected cold frame to your garden. So it might be that the very rare plant that you have pampered several years from seed to small plant will be eaten by snails, will rot away or will be attacked by funghi once it is outside.

After several deceptions I decided that if I want to grow a plant for the garden it must be capable to grow in outside conditions from the first day on. If it doesn't it just dies and I have a lesson learned, but I have not spent years of pampering on it.

However, my small cold frame is still full. I do grow some hoop Narcissus and South African bulbs who will never be capable of a cold winter which may occur here. These plants will never leave the cold frame but will still bring me enjoyment in the winter months.

If you have enough seed I would suggest to split the portions and sow one part in the cold frame and one part outside and see what does best.

I have tried to use the cold frame too for elongating the growth cycle and speeding up germination. I have mixed feelings about this, in case of annuals I think it will be helpfull but am not convinced it does do so well for perennials. Others might feel different about this.

Be sure to ventilate well, an automatic vent opener can be very helpful. In summer it can go over 50C if everything is closed. And when it's very humid you might need some ventilation too to prevent funghal diseases.
good luck, Rob
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Jlynx

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:32:08 AM »
Thanks for the insight Woodie.  I have a children's play set that is covered and protects the pots from extreme rain and I will put half in cold frame and keep other half in the bottom of that wooden play set.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the insight Woodie.  I have a children's play set that is covered and protects the pots from extreme rain and I will put half in cold frame and keep other half in the bottom of that wooden play set.
Errrr, uhm...... you have cleared this with the children, I hope?!!  ;) ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jlynx

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »
Of course haha. It actually provides good shelter while exposing seeds to the cold elements.  The cold frame should help when/if I get seedlings in early spring.  I'm a beginner at growing from seed so we shall see.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
The best thing about growing from seed is that every seedling that comes up is showing a willingness to grow in your conditions.
Every one that grows to maturity is displaying a distinct liking for your garden.... it's all very satisfying and somehow life-affirming. 
There are the slugs, snails, birds, mice, droughts and rots to deal with in between, of course,but at the end of the process if you have one happy little plant growing on, the sense of satisfaction is enormous  :D

Sow seed.... it gives hope!  8)

Jlynx

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:55:49 AM »
My Halls cold frame arrived and I assembled it and placed it into position.  I put my seed pots into the cold frame.  Hopefully I will get some sax seedlings in the spring!

Jlynx

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
 The cold frame is working out well.  It is only mid-February and two of my pots have about 5 young seedlings each so far.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
The cold frame is working out well.  It is only mid-February and two of my pots have about 5 young seedlings each so far.
Don't you love it when a plan comes together ?  8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal