We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2012  (Read 79392 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus January 2012
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
Has anyone seen signs of Stag in the wild or in naturalized colonies?

I have certainly seen stagonospora in naturalised colonies of Galanthus plicatus.  You tend not to see clump formation in large snowdrop colonies and I have come to the conclusion that this must be because the rate of attrition is higher than in supervised cultivation.  I imagine a balance is established between predation by pests and diseases and increase by division and setting seed.   
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »
Freddy  - Have you ever grown seed of nivalis 'Margery Fish'?  If not it would be an interesting project.  Beautiful.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

freddyvl

« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »

Very nice clump of 'Christine'. I would guess that the fact that it does well outdoors, in addition to its late flowering period, suggests that it may well be better placed in reginae-olgae vernalis than reginae-olgae. Shame you don't see it for sale much. In fact I haven't seen it offered anywhere recently.
[/quote]

Indeed Martin as the Bible says
"In its flowering period, and to an extent in its leaf development, this robust (and it is really robust !) cultivar bridges the gap between the late G. reginae-olgae clones and the earliest ssp. vernalis variants, usually flowering sometime between late December and early January. It is therefore not easy to attribute to either subspecies."

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »
This is my first time back to the forum since last snowdrop season.  Happy New Year to everyone.

Could someone remind me how to insert photos into a message like this one and what size is acceptable?  i am hopeless with figuring that kind of stuff out.

Thanks, Carolyn

(Edit by Maggi : Carolyn, I will email you the info you need)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:22:14 AM by Maggi Young »
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:34 AM »
John,

Funny name that for a snowdrop, "Davey Nice"!

And, "Bill Baker Green Tipped" brings back memories of a kind gift of a clump of bulbs from Helen Dillon with this name but they all turned out to be G. Atkinsii. Disappointed!

The pyracantha is great, by the way.

Paddy
Paddy it just happens to be the nicest one i have found so far,it has no name its just what John has put on the label.I would like to think thats what people think of me though ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:02:47 AM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »
John

What's in the two big pots?
The centre one is 'David Baker' - the right hand one is Arthurs Early Elwesii  8)

John lovely shot of the pots and i see mine ;D is there two flowers per bulb.
Indeed it is Davey - just one flower per bulb this year.

Hi John,

a nice and typically pic from you.
But do you have  only purely white galanthus in pots??? ;)
We wish us some descriptions please.

I will wait in GB for you, between  the 5th to the 13th of February.
Hagen

Nothing with green on the outers yet.  The green ones are typically much later.  My new 'German Corner' that I have recently planted up is likely to be the last area flowering in the garden.

I look forward to meeting with you in the UK.  Can you stay until the 14th so that you can attend the RHS show in London?  It is a good place to meet many friends.

Hello John,

Lovely photos, trumps is really nice.

What's the name of the one on the left in the foreground? It looks yellowish
Rick - well spotted - it is indeed a yellow one: 'Bill Clark'

Second Annes Millenium Giant, which has just got to this stage and is anything but a giant - approx 12cm high - is this other peoples experience too?
Definitely not a giant Chris - that is why I gave them all away last year.   :D  It had never been impressive here - I was going to just bin them - but giving them away was to see if they performed any better in others gardens - which I guess they don't.   ::)

John,

Funny name that for a snowdrop, "Davey Nice"!

And, "Bill Baker Green Tipped" brings back memories of a kind gift of a clump of bulbs from Helen Dillon with this name but they all turned out to be G. Atkinsii. Disappointed!

The pyracantha is great, by the way.

Paddy
As Davey has said - just my label for the nicest one of his finds that year.  
Bill Bakers Green Tipped is a new one for me this season - I have yet to see the flower - hopefully not Atkinsii.   ;)  I think Brian has it in flower already, Brian?
The blackbirds are loving the pyrocantha too!   ;D

Nice pictures and great drift of drops Freddy.  I have always thought that vernalis have the leaves at the same time as the flowers.

I've just seen a report on the BBC news showing snowdrops at the woodland trust - apparently they are much earlier than usual and news worthy.

And of course we all think Davey; Nice!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:30:28 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
These techniques must surely include disease control measures.

I talked to a few Dutch growers of Hippeastrum recently.  They do nothing for Stag on Hippeastrum; the reasoning is that the large bulbs can live long enough to flower and most homeowners toss them afterwards.

johnw

Interesting.  Maybe we need to breed massive snowdrop bulbs so they can cope better.   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
John,we have had Richard Todd, from Anglessey Abbey on our local news this morning, saying how the snowdrops are at least two weeks earlier this year
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
Bill Bakers Green Tipped is a new one for me this season - I have yet to see the flower - hopefully not Atkinsii.   ;)  I think Brian has it in flower already, Brian?

I don't believe it, mine is now over and I have had it in flower before you, lovely green tips and a fine flower, unfortunately I couldn't find my camera to take a picture (all the things being sorted out for the charity shop spread around everywhere).
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »
A couple more pics my friend took yesterday.

- 'Richard Ayres'

- 'Mr Blobby'

- 'Rogers Rough' (My friend commented on how he liked this one - I agree but I can't put my finger on what is so nice about it)

- 'Epiphany'
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:55:20 PM by KentGardener »
John

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »
Lovely pictures John.  
One of my 'Epiphany' flowers was green tipped this year.  It still had the narrow, pinched apical mark.  I can't remember if its meant to have green tips or not  ???  The others were all white.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
- 'Richard Ayres' - I can't say I've noticed that green ring  under the ovary before  :-\ Is a mark like that quite unusual ? (or am I very slow?! :-X )

- 'Rogers Rough' -  I don't remember seeing photos of this before... a very elegantly shaped flower with full petals... very nice.

edit: Oh! I have seen it before.....
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6670.msg184579#msg184579   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:55:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
God bless your eyesight, Maggi.

I have looked back over photographs of G. 'Richard Ayres' for the past few years. I purchased a single bulb from Harvey Garden Plants in Jan 2007 at a cost of £20.50. The fact that I started with one bulb is significant for, in subsequent years, I have photographs of 'Richard Ayres' with a mark as shown in John's photograph, some with no mark in that position at all and another, shown in this thread earlier I think, which shows two small marks instead. Obviously there is some variability. Of course, I will now rush off and name each variant and offer them for sale.

My photograph of 'Richard Ayres' is on page one of this thread.

Paddy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:14:48 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »
On EBay Paddy? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
All I need, David, is a suitably vague username for e-bay and a tough neck to describe ordinary snowdrops in a wonderfully evocative and tantalising way.

Fortune awaits. Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal