We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2012  (Read 79404 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus January 2012
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
John what's the big elwesii by your right hand? None of my elwesii are so far on.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »
John what's the big elwesii by your right hand? None of my elwesii are so far on.

The tallest one is the 'Rogers Rough' I keep admiring,  the two shorter clumps with larger flowers are both 'Penelope Ann'.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:41 AM »
the soil here is heavy clay, I wouldn't say anywhere it grows is particularly dry it just seems to do well & I don't give it any special treatment went planting.

[gracilis "Highdown" very dainty but bulks up fast.

my gracilis 'Highdown" went from 3 nice flowering bulbs in two years time to just one miserable leaf.
so it is obisously not very happy. does it need a much dryer condition than most drops?

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
The tallest one is the 'Rogers Rough' I keep admiring,  the two shorter clumps with larger flowers are both 'Penelope Ann'.

I knew it was too good to be true, 'Rogers Rough' not even through the soil yet!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
Yes, John Finch has a wonderfully sheltered garden so everything seems to flower earlier for him than for the rest of us in England.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
One or two things caught my eye just now.  Lapwing is making a nice clump (despite being denuded every year so far for swaps!), in a clump of Helen Tomlinson, this particular flower is looking very joyous with skirts lifted high, and here is Trimmer aka Trymmer one to cheer up a friend - sorry about the picture ;D

loes

« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
thanks for the answers regarding "Highdown" Alan and Richard,I`ll give it another place in the garden,not too dry and hope it survives.
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
I forgot to mention that my gracilis "Highdown" came originally from Richard's garden at Bennington Lordship.
Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
Now, I know less than most about Snowdrops but picked this one out from a garden centre tray all labelled Galanthus ikariae. The "plus side" to me was that it was bigger than all the others and the mark was very different to all the others, and the leaves were more glaucus than all the others. The "minus side", and this jarred against my Yorkshire carefulness moneywise, was that all the other pots had more than one bulb and this one was a singleton. I'm sure you experts will be able to tell me more about it.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

steve owen

« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
Exam Q1.
January 2011 - following snow and prolonged cold; on 7 January 2011, 75% of my snowdrops were "up".
January 2012 - unseasonably warm weather; newspapers and Scottish Rock threads all reporting how far advanced the growing and flowering season supposedly is; on 11 January 2012 75% of my snowdrops were "up".
Discuss.
 ???
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
thanks for the answers regarding "Highdown" Alan and Richard,I`ll give it another place in the garden,not too dry and hope it survives.

I have clumps in both light & very shaded areas though it seems to thrive in the lighter areas if it helps, I guess it must just like my soil, it has always done well here.

Had to replant some today which had been spread into grass by bunnies & squirrels etc and found what must be some seedlings among them, has a pale ovary like gracilis but long pedicel, solid mark & without the narrow twisted leaf.

John Aipassa

« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
Searching for Galanthus Hanning's Horror!

Hello fellow forum members.  For a desperately seeking garden friend I am searching for Galanthus Hanning's Horror. Does anyone know a source who sells this snowdrop?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Hello fellow forum members.  For a desperately seeking garden friend I am searching for Galanthus Hanning's Horror. Does anyone know a source who sells this snowdrop?

I had the same request

David your snowdrop is G. elwesii
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »
Exam Q1.
January 2011 - following snow and prolonged cold; on 7 January 2011, 75% of my snowdrops were "up".
January 2012 - unseasonably warm weather; newspapers and Scottish Rock threads all reporting how far advanced the growing and flowering season supposedly is; on 11 January 2012 75% of my snowdrops were "up".
Discuss.
 ???

Answer, 25% are not up - yet ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »

I had the same request

David your snowdrop is G. elwesii

Thanks Mark. Is the mark anything out of the ordinary?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal