We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2012  (Read 79712 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus January 2012
« Reply #435 on: January 23, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
Luc's insect is a drone fly and nothing like a Narcissus fly which is hairy.

I hope all you eager people aren't killing innocent insects? The Narcissus fly does not come out until snowdrops are going over - May and June in the UK

Tim where are the green tips on your Ivy Cottage Green Tips? My 7 dont have green tips either. The first ICGT I ever say was stunning
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Mark -  re: ICGT There's a very slight green mark on the outer on the second one from the left.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »
Here is the one I saw  :o

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #438 on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
Just heard there may 3 Green Tear available at the CGS event.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #439 on: January 23, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
I'll remortgage the house, Mark.
Almost in Scotland.

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
Ooooooooooooooooh and my tickets arrived today
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
I turn my back for a few minutes and this thread is several pages on! Thank you for your confirmation of ID, gentlemen.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #442 on: January 23, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
Lovely seedlings Anne and I have to agree with Brian's choice.

Seedlings from your seed are growing well here. I think they may flower next year with luck.  Very exciting.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »
Yes - I had wondered too Mark! The picture you show is a lot more striking. My plant came from Graham Gough, so I imagine is of good provenance. Presumably the green outer markings can vary a lot? I never see much sign on 'Comet' either.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #444 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »
Paddy    - I may have named the photo incorrectly. Does it look familiar?  It was posted 20 January 2009.

johnw

Yes, John, that is certainly what I posted. I have looked back on photographs for that date and have that very one there as 'Warham'.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #445 on: January 24, 2012, 01:35:14 AM »
I have always had a particular love of woodland gardening ever since my visits to Washfield Nursery years ago (and really always wanted to create a nursery like that, except I don't have the dedication of Elizabeth Strangman, or Graham Gough). So I always think of snowdrops as being part of the woodland plantings and have tried to create drifts of nivalis by 'sowing' seed pods (when they are mature but still firm and green). The little tufts of seedlings flower after 3 years or so and look quite natural. A few named varieties also set seed reliably, one such is 'Gerard Parker', so I have done the same with these and some quite nice variation arises. More special varieties have been planted in discrete groups under the apple trees, mixed with ferns, primroses, epimediums, trilliums and other choice woodlanders which come along later.

Lovely photos Tim.  I too used to love my yearly visits to Washfield Nursery - it was simply magical.  I remember seeing a mature clump of 'Magnet' swaying in the breeze there and readily purchased a single bulb.  I had never seen anything like it and nivalis was never good enough for me after that  :)  I only managed three visits to Washfield before the nursery closed but managed to collect many treasures from there which I still have - mainly Hellebores.  I bought one single N. Cedric Morris and have now managed to spread it around in semi shade - thankfully I had no knowledge of Narcissus Fly back then so I just planted my snowdrops and forgot about them.....and they have all survived.  I can remember Washfield like it was yesterday with the pots all neatly lined out in coldframes full of sand and the huge polytunnels with Hellebores galore.  I still find the odd label now and then and have the old catalogues somewhere. 

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #446 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:35 AM »

John took a photo of my bed of newly planted Mighty Atom chips at last years snowdrop & cake, most now flowering  :)

Richard - lovely pics.  You have had great success with your chipping - I remember seeing the bed last year on the snowdrop walk.  Looks like almost 100% success....makes me feel tempted to have a go. 

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #447 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »

I bought one single N. Cedric Morris and have now managed to spread it around in semi shade - thankfully I had no knowledge of Narcissus Fly back then so I just planted my snowdrops and forgot about them.....and they have all survived.  Jennie
[/quote]

Jennie

Now we know what you are doing wrong - you are killing them with kindness  :)  Much better my approach of studied neglect  ;)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #448 on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Hmm ... Should I be excited?

This seedling appeared in the edge of my lawn, along with a lot of Galanthus nivails types.  This one has plicate leaves quite unlike the nivalis.  It has appeared near to where I used to grow G. 'Trym' and not far from G. 'Augustus'.  On the down side the stem has expended to the point where it flops, but it's been that kind of year, perhaps it will be more upright in future.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:19:29 PM by tonyg »

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
Hmm ... Should I be excited?

This seedling appeared in the edge of my lawn, along with a lot of Galanthus nivails types.  This one has plicate leaves quite unlike the nivalis.  It has appeared near to where I used to grow G. 'Trym' and not far from G. 'Augustus'.  On the down side the stem has expended to the point where it flops, but it's been that kind of year, perhaps it will be more upright in future.
Very nice Tony,it's lovely.I would be over the moon.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal