We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yes, I'm so Happy! 2012  (Read 57601 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Yes, I'm so Happy! 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »
I guess my first wooden one was 50 years ago, when shade cloth as we know it today wasn't around much, if at all so laths/slats were the only option. Actually thanks Steve, I couldn't think of the word slats but that was what I meant. I think the Americans use the word laths when talking of building a patio or something similar.And that comes from an ancient American magazine I have somewhere, early "Better Homes and Gardens" maybe. Shadecloth is less expensive and easier and quicker to erect but I still prefer the shade provided by slates.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
I guess my first wooden one was 50 years ago, when shade cloth as we know it today wasn't around much, if at all so laths/slats were the only option. Actually thanks Steve, I couldn't think of the word slats but that was what I meant. I think the Americans use the word laths when talking of building a patio or something similar.And that comes from an ancient American magazine I have somewhere, early "Better Homes and Gardens" maybe. Shadecloth is less expensive and easier and quicker to erect but I still prefer the shade provided by slates.

Lesley, slate, isn't that a kind of rock?  ;D ;D

Anyway I don't need laths or slats but I could use some slates to pave the path.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »

Lesley, slate, isn't that a kind of rock?  ;D ;D

Anyway I don't need laths or slats but I could use some slates to pave the path.
Touche (with an acute) Trond. I usually proof read before I post but missed that one. I could use some slates too. There are a lot of old houses in Dunedin roofed with slates. I think the slates were actually brought from the UK by early settlers and those who built their houses. I'm not aware of slate mines in NZ but as Roger would point out, I'm not aware of much these days. (He's hoping that I haven't noticed there is yet ANOTHER old car in the driveway. >:() I have!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:30:25 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Lesley, hope you don't mind I teased you a little. I couldn't resist. . . and as an English speaking person....

I too do try to proofread but I am certain a lot of mistakes go unnoticed . .  and you are all too polite to tell ;)

No slate in NZ or just no slate mines? Strange - you have enough rock!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
I associate lath with lath and plaster inner walls of houses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lath. The lath being thin pieces of timber on a frame, rather like slats. Slats are often used as the base of a bed, on which sits the mattress. They are bowed so as to be springy. I don't think there are any roof graded slate deposits in New Zealand?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 05:36:40 AM »
Trond you are welcome to tease me. Many people do and I don't mind at all. They know they'll get back what they give, at some time.

We have a lot of schist which is a little like slate and slivers into very thin slices but it is rotten rock basically and can be crumbled by hand in many cases so not suitable for roofing. Makes lovely crevices though. ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
Read in one of the Sunday papers that the composer Frederick Delius was in fact a Yorkshireman, born in Bradford and lived there until his late 20's-are you listening Lesley? This of course enhances my view that all of those endowed with culture and high intelligence were born in God's hallowed acres ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
Read in one of the Sunday papers that the composer Frederick Delius was in fact a Yorkshireman, born in Bradford and lived there until his late 20's-are you listening Lesley? This of course enhances my view that all of those endowed with culture and high intelligence were born in God's hallowed acres ;D
[/quote}

Of course we were ;D 8) ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
 ;D 8)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
I understand he couldn't bear it though - whether the weather, the stigma or the stinginess or what - and eventually went to France where he stayed until he died.

Not one of my favourite composers. The music seems to wander all over the place and have little structure. Odd, when you think of all those stone walls. ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
Stigma!! stinginess!!  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not in Yorkshire ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hoy

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
Trond you are welcome to tease me. Many people do and I don't mind at all. They know they'll get back what they give, at some time.

We have a lot of schist which is a little like slate and slivers into very thin slices but it is rotten rock basically and can be crumbled by hand in many cases so not suitable for roofing. Makes lovely crevices though. ;D

Don't hesitate paying me back  ;) ;D

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
My daughter was trying to explain to her French friend what 'Yorkshireness' was like. The best she could do was tell her how her grandad made his new shed door out of his old shed door!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Hoy

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
My daughter was trying to explain to her French friend what 'Yorkshireness' was like. The best she could do was tell her how her grandad made his new shed door out of his old shed door!

Then my uncle was a Yorkshireman  -  he made a outhouse of an old kitchen cabinet. You had to back in to seat.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »

Then my uncle was a Yorkshireman  -  he made a outhouse of an old kitchen cabinet. You had to back in to seat.

Proof, I think you will find... that the Scots have infiltrated everywhere;D 8) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal