We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium 2012  (Read 20339 times)

Roma

Re: lilium 2012
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
I have three Cardiocrinum giganteum flower this year.  Two are about my height and the third a good bit taller.  They got a bit chewed by slugs and damaged by the weather.  The tall one was looking its best on Saturday but it was a bit windy for photographs so I waited till Sunday when it looked quite battered after a very windy night. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
My martagon lilies usually look fine when the come through the ground but some get bron bits at the ends of the leaves and the flower abort.  I am not sure whether this is a viral or fungal problem.  This year the main clump of white martagons look very bad.  I think this is probably fungal.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:12 PM »
We've been losing the pink ones.....don't really know why.  I'd  like to beg you for some seed of those lovely variations, Roma!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
OK  Maggi.  I'll mark a few.   I've been dead heading lately as there are far too many coming up in inappropriate places and often between stones or in the middle of plants where they are difficult to remove.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
L. tsingtauense
The depth of the orange of this species is, to me, amazing. Unfortunately I can never get it to reproduce in a photograph, :(

The surface of the petals of L. tsingtauense (and closely related species) seem to have a pronounced reflective sheen on them that is not photogenic.  Even on a overcast day, snapshots look as though they were taken in full sun, and show an exaggerated contrast of light and dark.  Like you, Ron, I have yet to take a photo I am satisfied with also.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

ronm

« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
It's really frustrating Rick, the colour is stunning and no one viewing the pics would believe how much ::)

If anyone can advise please ???. I have a large number of L. pardalinum bulbs from seed, and many from mature bulbs from various sources, but can not get them to flower ... ever. I have no problem with any other species I have tried. Each  bulb seems to produce three to four new bulbs each year.  Does this species require something different to the others? Thanks in advance... :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
My, coincidence is a wonderful thing: this month's IRG ( just loaded a few hours early) has got an article by American Lily Maven, Gene Mirro :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4850.msg252289#msg252289  for a taster and here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2012Jul261343329301IRG31_July2012.pdf for the IRG itself.

Gene is a Forumist so I hope he'll "drop in" and tell you his experiences with the plant. In the article he mentions that they grow in areas where there is always some moisture in the soil.

ronm

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
How very timely for me. ;D
Another great issue Maggi, great pictures and crammed full of info.
I used to be able to grow Darlingtonia like a weed, so may have hundreds of flowering L. pardalinum next year now?? ::)
I too hope Gene may pop in and offer any tips, please :). I really thought they would flower this year as they grew strong and green, but no, .... blind again  ::) :(
Just in case, how does one contribute a field experience article to the IRG please?, and what are the criteria?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:21:34 PM by ronm »

Gene Mirro

« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »
Ronm, do you have any photos of your pardalinum?  Can you tell me what your growing conditions are?  Here is a quote from a very good website on lily culture:

"Bud desiccation" - This disorder is associated with forcing under very high temperatures, low light intensities, and the presence of ethylene in the greenhouse. Bad root development will increase the risk. Can occur throughout the growing period.

"Bud drop" - This is the dropping of very small floral buds. The main cause is very low light intensities when the flower buds are extremely small and undergoing rapid development.

End of quote.  Source:  http://web.archive.org/web/20041102154110/http://www.hoffqualityfirst.nl/publications/01_2002.htm
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

ronm

« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Thank you Gene, I haven't taken any pictures of the plants as yet as they are only leaf rosettes. But I will tomorrow and post them here. They aren't even forming any flower buds, but do look very very healthy. They are all in 1, 2 or 3 litre deep pots at the moment and are kept in a 70% shaded area of the garden, behind a mature Scots Pine. They are here from April to Oct exposed to the elements. The compost is free draining acidic. When the foliage has died down completely they are moved into a large polytunnel to over winter. They are not watered again until they are moved outside the following March / April. Each year they grow well and produce healthy new bulbs. All plants from many sources perform the same so I know I must be doing something wrong with regard to flower initiation. Just dont know what? :(
I appreciate any advice as this, to me, is a real beauty amongst beauties,  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:00:07 PM by ronm »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
Thanks Gene - how speedy an arrival was that?!!

Just in case, how does one contribute a field experience article to the IRG please?, and what are the criteria?

Good photos, not too much text, send it to me. "Simples"! ;) 8)

The idea with IRG is to enthuse people who are new to these plants, to show them a glimpse of the fascinating world of plants and places and get them hungry to read more, investigate... and maybe grow or visit.... :)

ronm

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »
 ;D Did someone rub a small bronze lamp? 8) ;D

Thanks Maggi for the 'How To'.  The quality of the pieces each month is very high standard. Something to aspire to 8)

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:09 PM »
Lilies have started to bloom here too at last.
I prefer the botanic species to the hybrids.

Lilium pyrenaicum
Lilium pumilum
Lilium monadelphuM
and an unnamed Lilium sp from Himalaya

Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »
Superb, Magnar. They are so elegant  and the colours so rich.

The shape and colour of the unknown  Himalayan is very beautiful.

ronm

« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »
I prefer the botanic species to the hybrids.

Me too,  ;D and they are superb examples Magnar 8) 8). All growing beautifully, but the  unnamed Lilium sp. from Himalayas is one that makes me GREEN. I'm sure I've seen something like it here on the forum before ???

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal