We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium 2012  (Read 20298 times)

ronm

Re: lilium 2012
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
A magnificent pair Tony,  8) 8)
Is this a plant of neutral to chalky soils, or acidic type ones please?

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
My understanding is that Vermion is mainly limestone and so the soils will be derived from that. It is a plant of dense woodland.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ronm

« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »
Thank you Tony. I asked because numerous nurseries / books etc. consulted and varying opinions given. I've long held the belief that it was how you say,  and that those who say it must have acidic soil have got confused with another species. Now I have my thoughts confirmed. Thanks again.  ;D ;D

winwen

Re: lilium 2012 - Help needed!!
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »
I cannot help yopu with pollen but please remember that not all lilies are self-sterile. I have got viable seed on lilies that were only one of its clone in my garden. Martagons are hopless but some of the chinese self pollinate so you would have a fair chance. I would appreciate if you could post you results since we do not know too well which ones are self-sterile.
Göte
Göte,

are you sure, that the viable seeds you got from some clones of which there were only one of its kind, were not hybrid?
Of course, I will try to self my gloriosoides, but not the normal way. There are mainly 2 different reasons for self-sterility and at least in some lilies, it seems possible to overcome this mechanism by cutting off the style near the ovaries and pollinate by dropping a mixture of the pollen in a few drops of sugar-solution on the wound.

Nevertheless, the natural way of pollination works better. Therefore I would like to ask you, if you will have some Gloriosoides flowers this season, because I could send you some pollen of my L. gloriosoides, so -at least- you could get some seeds this year. My L. gloriosoides will open its flower in abobut 3-4 days.
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
Lilium poilanei in flower today

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
  A wonderful Lilium Tony ! How do you grow it ?
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
Hi Nicole yes it is a fine one. I grow it in my usual mixture of garden centre John Innes with a bit of extra grit. It is in a pot in an open sand plunge over summer and kept in the garage over winter.

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »
Thank you Tony  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

winwen

« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »
Lilium poilanei in flower today
Congratulations Tony!
What a beautiful lily!

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: lilium 2012 - Help needed!!
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »
Göte,

are you sure, that the viable seeds you got from some clones of which there were only one of its kind, were not hybrid?
Of course, I will try to self my gloriosoides, but not the normal way. There are mainly 2 different reasons for self-sterility and at least in some lilies, it seems possible to overcome this mechanism by cutting off the style near the ovaries and pollinate by dropping a mixture of the pollen in a few drops of sugar-solution on the wound.

Nevertheless, the natural way of pollination works better. Therefore I would like to ask you, if you will have some Gloriosoides flowers this season, because I could send you some pollen of my L. gloriosoides, so -at least- you could get some seeds this year. My L. gloriosoides will open its flower in abobut 3-4 days.
Sorry for long delay. I have been away a lot of time.
Yes I am quite sure. I have lilies which obvioulsy are self sterile (the martagon group)  and some which are not - mainly chinese Lijiangense to give one example.
Good luck
Göte.

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2012, 09:07:16 AM »
one from yesterday but still in flower flore pleno

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
Hello,
One very humble contribution to this topic: Lilium HENRYI which flowered on my balcony.
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
I am re-potting my lilies and thought this might be of interest.

A couple of years ago I received from Giles a seedling of Lilium nepalense which I have been growing on this year in a 12 cm pot.

On emptying it out I found this stolon coiled around the base of the pot with small bulbs attached.

It is 80 cms long and has ten small bulbs on it.

I knew that this lily wandered about but I am surprised at this result.

The original bulb at the base of the stem on the left appears to have dissapeared

Sorry the photograph is a bit blurry but I think it shows clearly enough.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:39 AM »
The original bulb at the base of the stem on the left appears to have dissapeared
This is interesting...
Should the original bulb be on the left?   Shouldn't it be on the right, so the stem bulblets are between the bulb and the above ground part of the stem?

What is that tuber or bulb-like  mass of something on the right?
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

winwen

« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:49 AM »
Hello,
a lily that I have heard of sometimes in the past (due to Chen Yi's exports) is Lilium sempervivoideum.
It is a little beauty although it seems to be a challenge in cultivation.

However: since many years now, I have read nothing about this lily here and on the whole internet. It seems as if it had disappeared from cultivation quite rapidly. Also Chen Yi doesn't seem to export it anymore (was L-79 on her list).
Therefore I would like to know if someone is cultivating this little beauty here (since it seems to be an alpine plant).

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal