We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium 2012  (Read 20692 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: lilium 2012
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
Lilium sargentiae ex Jens Nielsen' cw seed  here yesterday. Very tall with a tendency to flop or grow through shrubs. The xterior stripes are not so prominent this year for some reason.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:59:39 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Roma

« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
I intend redoing the bed where this Lilium martagon was growing so dug it up last year in case I did not remember where it was.  I found the somewhat shrivelled bulb in a polybag under the greenhouse bench this spring so potted it up and luckily it has survived.  I think it is rather special.  It is much shorter than it would have been if treated properly.  Alas I grow too many plants and bulbs and rather too many do not get the attention they deserve. :-[
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:46:08 PM by Roma »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
This Lilium lives in the greenhouse.  It was grown from Chiltern seed as Lilium auratum/ orientale hybrids in 2001.  This was the only oriental hybrid which grew.  The other seedlings all turned out to be 'African Queen' strain or something very similar.  I was not too disappointed as it is one of my favourite trumpet varieties.  The flower is 9 inches (23  cm) across.

Lilium 'Oriental Hybrid'   -
 Thursday
 Friday
 Sunday

Gene Mirro

« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Here is L. bakerianum v. delavayi growing in my garden:

363041-0

The giant leaves in the background are Podophyllum pleianthum.

Ronm, I have killed a lot of lilies and other bulbs by drying them out too much over Winter.  Also, I have found that more sun means more flowers.  The problem with species lilies is that you can't let the soil get too hot.  So you can plunge the pot into soil that has bark mulch over it.  If the plant gets a lot of sun, you will need to water it deep and often.  Also, I do not recommend trying to grow and bloom lilies in a one-gallon pot.  Three gallon minimum.  One gallon is OK if you already have a big bulb and you want it to flower once and then throw it away.  I have very poor luck growing species lilies in containers.  I always transplant them into the garden as soon as the weather gets nice in the Spring.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:04:30 AM by Gene Mirro »
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

ronm

« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »
Thank you Gene. I'm sure you are absolutely correct and will certainly change my growing regime for all my Lilium sp. for next years growing. Taking a long hard look at them this year I'm sure I can do much better and pay them a little more respect and attention.  :-[ :-[

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Lilium formosanum var. pricei, grown from seed Lesley kindly sent me and sown February 2009. Flowering for the first time.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
I got this as Lilium spectabile? Can anyone giive me its real name?
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »
Sorry, I can't help you, Stephen.

Here are two lilies from my summerhouse. Fortunately they were not damaged by the roaming sheep!

L. lancifolium, an old garden plant here and the newer orientalis hybrid 'Arena'.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Roma

« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
In SRGC seedlist 2009/2010 there was a long list of lily seed from Sparra's Nest in Tasmania.  I was lucky enugh to get one packet of seed.
(Jeff Bowden's Brown Tr x King Midas) x (Apricot Canterbury Tr x Yellow Green Tr)
Seed was sown in January 2010 and germinated end of March.  I have 12 bulbs and one opened a flower today - another 11 to look forward to next year  :) :) :)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »
That's rather nice  8)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
I got this as Lilium spectabile? Can anyone giive me its real name?

Probably not quite right, but it looks a bit like L. regale

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

ArnoldT

« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »
Here's my L. regale.  Pretty close.

Pollen darkens as the flower ages.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

winwen

Re: lilium 2012 - Help needed!!
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:53 AM »
Hello to all the lily breeders here,

since I think, I have a big problem, I would ask you for help this way:
(hopefully) like some others here, I am growing the marvellous Lilium gloriosoides.
This lily is very very difficult to cultivate, but of the relatively young bulbs that I was able to buy last winter, two have developed buds. These are still closed and I think the larger one will open it's flower in about 7-10 days.
Unfortunately the plant with the smaller bud (I guess it needs still 2-3 weeks to flower) looks very unhealthy and I fear, that it will die before flowering, so the pollen of it will not get ripe in time.

I therefore ask you, if there is someone who could send me pollen of L. gloriosoides within the next 10-14 days.
Any help would be appreciated!
You may answer per PM or here in the thread to my request.

Thanks in advance!
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: lilium 2012 - Help needed!!
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »
since I think, I have a big problem, I would ask you for help this way:
(hopefully) like some others here, I am growing the marvellous Lilium gloriosoides.
I therefore ask you, if there is someone who could send me pollen of L. gloriosoides within the next 10-14 days.

I cannot help yopu with pollen but please remember that not all lilies are self-sterile. I have got viable seed on lilies that were only one of its clone in my garden. Martagons are hopless but some of the chinese self pollinate so you would have a fair chance. I would appreciate if you could post you results since we do not know too well which ones are self-sterile.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
Lilium chalcedonicum ,the only one to flower. The rest have rotted their buds with the constant rain.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal