We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - Ebay digression 2012  (Read 63541 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Re: Galanthus - Ebay digression 2012
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
And oh how they keep coming ,we now have a Mr Grumpy and Alien Face,whatever next, it will certainly mess the snowdrop scene up if all these so called Grumpy's get sold on and on and on,and all because they have seen it on the TV and News

I did have a chat with Joe Sharman a couple of years ago and suggested that some sort of regulation be placed on the naming of drops ,such as some kind of regulative commitee to look to see if a drop was worthy of naming,good idea or not I do not know ,but at least questions could be asked to the e bay sellers as to whether or not their snowdrop had been registered which maybe would put off some of the more dubious people out there

Anyone have any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:35:46 PM by chasw »
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

ScotsmanInKent

« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2012, 01:25:17 AM »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »
Galanthus elwesii? I have sent a question: "It's not 'Hoverfly' unless you bought it as such. You CANNOT "find" a named snowdrop varieties in your garden. ALL NAMED SNOWDROPS COME FROM CLONES THAT HAVE BEEN DESCRIBED AND REGISTERED by a snowdrop grower. If you can't trace it back to the original named clone, regardless of how close it looks, it isn't that variety. It's a imitation worth about 50p. You can call it what you like, but not a named clonal variety. That's the equivalent of selling fake copies of a Picasso painting."
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
I wonder if we are getting a bit too caught up in the misdemeanors here, when it is the crimes we ought to worry about?

If somebody finds a snowdrop with some funny marking and offers it as such on eBay (e.g. "alien face snowdrop") I see nothing wrong with that.

And it doesn't take a lot of snowdrop knowledge to know that a snowdrop you find in your garden that vaguely resembles a named snowdrop is not that named snowdrop.  So "possibly hoverfly" is not possibly hoverfly and more fool anyone who buys it as such hoping to get hoverfly.

What we need to be on a guards for is people setting out to deceive, deliberately selling one snowdrop as another.  Don't sweat the small stuff. 
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #349 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
Galanthus elwesii? I have sent a question: "It's not 'Hoverfly' unless you bought it as such.

This is at least the third time she has been told, but as I said "...but someone will buy it."  Let them.  No real collector will fall for this, and it really is a case of buyer beware.  It doesn't seem as though anything else can be done.  As Alan says:
So "possibly hoverfly" is not possibly hoverfly and more fool anyone who buys it as such hoping to get hoverfly.
It's those trying to make a quick buck pretending to sell the rarities that are the real worry.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #350 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:28 AM »
ALL NAMED SNOWDROPS COME FROM CLONES THAT HAVE BEEN DESCRIBED AND REGISTERED by a snowdrop grower.
Although I agree with the sentiment, I didn't realise there is register of snowdrop varieties, as there is for narcissus. Is there one, and how does one register a plant with it?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rob

« Reply #351 on: February 28, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
Although I agree with the sentiment, I didn't realise there is register of snowdrop varieties, as there is for narcissus. Is there one, and how does one register a plant with it?

pm Gerard, he voluntered to help people last year.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:06:13 AM by Rob »
Midlands, United Kingdom

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #352 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
another reply

Hi,I appreciate your comments but I have to disagree, although I haven't personally bought 'Blonde Inge' myself my woodland was once owned by someone who had a passion for flowers, many different species were planted over the years. Over time labels were lost so I have no idea exactly what is what. I am clear in my ad that I'm not certain it is 'Blonde Inge' and have listed it as a yellow petal snowdrop but it definitely looks like the picture on the link I provided.You seem to have more knowledge of snowdrops than me, if you can you please identify it from my pictures I will happily revise my listing?Kind Regards- mrbmoon1
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #353 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
another reply

Hi,I appreciate your comments but I have to disagree, although I haven't personally bought 'Blonde Inge' myself my woodland was once owned by someone who had a passion for flowers, many different species were planted over the years. Over time labels were lost so I have no idea exactly what is what. I am clear in my ad that I'm not certain it is 'Blonde Inge' and have listed it as a yellow petal snowdrop but it definitely looks like the picture on the link I provided.You seem to have more knowledge of snowdrops than me, if you can you please identify it from my pictures I will happily revise my listing?Kind Regards- mrbmoon1
Mark at the end of the day if they can put a name to it they are quids in,even loosely to look like a known  drop,but well done for getting on to him.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #354 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44:10 PM »

pm Gerard, he voluntered to help people last year.

It might be useful if Gerard posted a link again to the register so we can see how it's coming on with regard to the registration of existing cultivars.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
Anne, here's the link to a thread from last year where the galanthus registration authority issue was discussed at some length.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6885.60

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
Gerard gave the  Galanthus registrar details again earlier this month:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8571.msg230084#msg230084

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
Thanks Maggi. I meant a link to the actual register so we can see how it's coming on.

JoshY46013

« Reply #358 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
I just started looking into Galanthus, I really like them, they're cute to say the least but WHY in the world are there so many named varieties?   How can you possibly keep track of all that and know what you're growing is correct if you can find other snowdrops that could pass for the other?

I really like them and I think I'm going to start growing them but WOW is this all confusing!? :)  This e-bay thread has deterred me from using auction sites, well at least until I know what I'm doing!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #359 on: February 28, 2012, 11:51:18 PM »
WHY in the world are there so many named varieties?   

Why are there so many named daffodils! They are all yellow LOL ;D
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal