We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oregon native Gentian  (Read 3917 times)

Gene Mirro

Oregon native Gentian
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »
I saw an amazing sight, an alpine meadow filled with thousands of these 12-inch-tall, vigorous Gentians, all setting seed.  Altitude was 4000 ft near Mount Hood in Oregon.  Does anyone know what they are?  I will visit them next summer and photograph the flowers.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Oregon native Gentian
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 04:26:38 AM »
Hope you collected some seed Gene :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ed Alverson

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
Looks to me like our native king gentain, Gentiana sceptrum.

There is a bit of a horticultural description on the Berry Botanic Garden's 2004-2005 seed list at:

http://www.berrybot.org/hort/seed_list_05.html

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 04:27:49 PM »
Looks like it would be a nice addition to the rock garden. It is described as "one of the finest American gentians and is not difficult in cultivation provided it has moist lime-free soil. The seed offered is not always true, and often turns out to be from G. septemfida" (from 'Gentians' by Fritz Köhlein). I, for one, would love to try growing it from seed.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:38:10 PM »
Anthony--you just missed out !!!!!!! .

I received seed of this sps. last week from the Otago Alpine Garden Group ,(Lesleys mob), and sowed all of it 2 days ago.

A check of their seedlist a moment ago confirms it was wild collected Coast Mtns ,BC.------and yes i would have had enough to send to you . (crying face--still can't load face icon thingys).

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »
Well, Tony. We measure the seasons by the temperature of the rain. When it rains in the west, Dunblane is in the west. When it rains in the east, Dunblane is in the east. ??? I can grow cyps in free draining compost in pots and rarely have to water them. My next door neighbour had an island bed with a ceanothus in it (he prunes the flower buds off before flowering every year). The bed was full of snowdrops, species tulips and alliums. Frequent use of the hoe means that for two years there has been none visible. He does, however, have two lovely clumps of self-seeded rush (Juncus sp.), a bog plant, in his herbaceous border, which he carefully hoes round. ::)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »
Hmm - we don't get to choose our neighbours but at least mine dont make me want to :'(

Gene Mirro

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:45:23 AM »
I have enough extra seed to share with a few people.  If you want some, please email me.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »
I'd love some seed Gene, but your email address is 'hidden'.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
Anthony,

If you go to the bottom of the profile there is an option to send the person a personal message (PM).  Most forums have some form or other of the same thing.  It's effectively an email, but it is done via the SRGC site instead of via normal email.  When you send one of these the person gets a notification within their normal email as well, so that they know a message has been received.  Without that notification I'd never know when I had an SRGC PM because I never notice the little (1) next to the "My Messages" bit in the headings of the SRGC site.  Does that help?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ed Alverson

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:21:36 PM »
Now that your horticultural appetites have been whetted, I might mention that Gentiana sceptrum has a fairly wide ecological amplitude across its geographic range.  While most typically it grows in coastal bogs, it also occurs in montane meadows (such as Gene's locality).  In addition, it grown in the Willamette Valley near Eugene in the clay soil of natural meadows that are quite wet in the winter and spring but become very dry in the summer.  So those of you in a temperate climate with a mediterranean edge (summer high temps averaging in the low 80's, with very little rainfall in July or August) might also have a chance to succeed with this one, especially on clay soil. 

-Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:49 PM »
Silly me. Forgot about that. Thanks Paul. ::)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal