We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012  (Read 62838 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »

Iris autropatana, Iris stocksii (sorry it was just going over when I reached it), Iris stenophylla allisonii,

The fabled Iris stocksii.... see here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6967.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ronm

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
Unless the year has been particularly bad, my Junos usually double each growing season.  ;D
I expect Kew with all their resources dont have to succumb to bad growing environment, so what happens to their excess stock? I know they are not allowed to distribute it, so they must have mountains of some of these plants!!  ??? ???

PeterT

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
also a more modest contribution from myself -Iris rosenbachiana
another form of Iris ?rosenbachiana
and to prove I am still growing it although not so well and poor pictures- (I didn't have this much dificulty with a conventional camera) Iris narbuti on my bench today, just going over. I bought a pair of seedlings from Jim Almond some years ago, they have never had protection from frost while I have been growing them, -this is the first winter I have ever heated any glass.
In the greenhouse Iris aucheri ex white leylak strain. It has benefited from the extra warmth.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:48:00 PM by PeterT »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

PeterT

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Unless the year has been particularly bad, my Junos usually double each growing season.  ;D
I expect Kew with all their resources dont have to succumb to bad growing environment, so what happens to their excess stock? I know they are not allowed to distribute it, so they must have mountains of some of these plants!!  ??? ???
I dont think that they have mountains of stocksii or autropatana yet Ron.

Iris rosenbachiana has given me a great deal of dificulty learning to grow it- without frost protection in the UK climate. I should add that I have grown it from seeds to flowering as well as from purchased bulbs.

ronm

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »
But excepting the two you mention Peter? ???
Do you find much variation from expectations when you grow from seed? I ask because I do, and am wondering how stable some of these are?

PeterT

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
Lovely Junos. I'm feeling peeved that i couldn't get there to see them in the flesh :(. Still, thank you Peter for taking these and sharing, ... next best thing!  :o :o
Thanks Ron, Hope to meet you at the Frit group. I felt that these pictures should reach a wider audiance

After Iris narbutii, I think Iris stenophylla allisonii must be my favourite.

It meets availability and price  :)
I quite agree Arthur, (though I can't forget Iris fosteriana)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
I'm following this......... and dribbling ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »
I'm going to make a big effort to be there this time Peter. Looking forward to seeing you too,  :)

PeterT

« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
Sorry to have to say it but when I divide up a herbaceous border half of each plant goes into the compost heap or fire. However I do believe that there are routes for plants out of Kew, just not routes easily accessable to you or me. Of course disasters happen too... so even plants that normally double up can dwindle some years!

I have found most juno forms which I have grown fairly uniform from seeds but my experiance is quite limited as yet. Janis would be better qualified to answer this.

I understand that there are at least three species involved in the Iris rosenbachiana group. The pictures of the three Kew plants I pictured can probably be taken as definative, and Tony confirmed my rosenbachiana at the show. One difference betwen Iris rosenbachiana and Iris nicoli is the tip of the fall and how much white is on it and (I think) whether it is notched.

ronm

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »
 :o :o :o :o.
Thanks for the info., Peter. ;)

ronm

« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
Dirk, thats not the Mr. Jilek who is the newest member of this forum is it?

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Alex and Janis, nice Juno rosenbachiana.

Here is a early red Juno nicolai, receive from Mr. Jilek in 2010. Last year not a sign from him. Who knows, why?
It looks very similar to my VARZOB.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
Some superb plants here, Peter thanks a lot for showing those unique plants from the Kew collection! A pitty Iris rosenbachiana does not like my climate.

Iris aucheri is still not flowering here, but its hybrid Iris x Sindpers and the other parent Iris persica.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

PeterT

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »
a lovely persica Hans.

ronm

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »
I.svetlanae.

I know its common but there are variations within those in cultivation, and with this clone the leaves are very short, the flowers lack much of the 'dark lines' found in many of the other clones. A more uniform orangey yellow, as opposed to the greeny yellow of some.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal