We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012  (Read 61478 times)

PeterT

Re: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »
are all the plants solitary Oron?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

arillady

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Wow the variations are amazing - and all that lovely pollen they produce!
It is one of the maybe one day if stocks build up and it gets off the really rare status.
Thanks Oron for posting these. It does look very parched and this is your winter.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »
Oron

I lioke them all, but the dark one...
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »
Oron,

wonderful plants.

Arthur can have the dark one, I'll take the whitest  ;)  :P
The colour of the whitest one reminded me of one of thoses white crab-spiders, don't know why, but I think they're lovely!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

ronm

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
Now they are, to me, what the Junos are all about. :) :) Superb! Thank you for sharing them Oron.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
Terrific forms of I. edomensis, Oron!! :o looking also for Miriam and Fred pictures, also like last year, I would like to see pictures of the superb picnic (I imagine...!) with Miri's foods!! ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
My first Juno of the season, Iris 'Warlsind'. About a month earlier than last season and I didn't start watering until mid-October this time whereas last season I started early September.

By the way got an email from Amazon this morning to say that at looooong last the copy of the re-print I ordered eons ago of "A Guide to Species Irises:Their Identification and Cultivation" is likely to be shipped at the end of this month.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
By the way got an email from Amazon this morning to say that at looooong last the copy of the re-print I ordered eons ago of "A Guide to Species Irises:Their Identification and Cultivation" is likely to be shipped at the end of this month.

I received my copy yesterday, almost a year to the day from when I ordered it. I have to say I'm delighted with it. The descriptions of species are more detailed and systematic than in Mathew or Kolhein, making it a better resource for identifying plants one is unsure of.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

ronm

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »
Hope mine will be here soon too Tom. Sounds good.
A nice suprise for me today was this I svetlaneae flowering for me for the first time from seed. I selfed the parent in '07 and sowed the seed Dec '07. I only got 7 seed and have only managed to bring 3 through. This is the first to flower for me, and I dont think the other 2 will do it this year. We have had a warmer spell for the last few days and this came from nowhere.  ;D ;D ;D

ronm

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
pics

ronm

« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Just seen a number of new Juno pics on the SIGNA site. These are attributed to Tony Hall, Junos in cultivation at Kew, 12th Feb 2012, posted by the New Zealand Iris Society. Was this a special talk, an article for a journal or something other? Am I missing something and this information is 'old hat'. Would love to know as Junos are my second love, and any info. (esp. from T.Hall esq. ) is most welcome.
There are a number of species, e.g. this link to I. parvula, http://www.signa.org/index.pl?Display+Iris-parvula+2+2

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
Well done with the svetlaneae Ron, very nice indeed.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »
Many thanks everyone.

are all the plants solitary Oron?
Peter, yes often solitary, rarely populations up to 20 -30 plants but quite distant from each other.
One flower, occasionally 2 flowers in mature plants.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:14:00 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
Terrific forms of I. edomensis, Oron!! :o looking also for Miriam and Fred pictures, also like last year, I would like to see pictures of the superb picnic (I imagine...!) with Miri's foods!! ;D
Rafa
Unfortunately we didn't have Miriam with us in Jordan so we were eating bars and chocolate most of the time... ;)
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

ronm

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
May I ask Oron, generally how far are the seedlings dispersed away? Obviously each seedling cannot be 'attached' to its parent, but approximately? Is it cm., metres?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal