We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris-2012  (Read 37688 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Reticulate Iris-2012
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
Spectacular Iris Dirk! :o
(even I still prefer species)

Iris zagrica and Iris pamphylica pictured yesterday.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:11 PM »
Spectacular Iris Dirk! :o
(even I still prefer species)

Me too - the Iris pamphylica seem to be multiplying nicely  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

winwen

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
Wonderful pictures, Hans!
Just one question: Is this the same I. zagrica that you have already shown us before (http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8347.msg227345#msg227345)?
I find that especially the color of the falls has changed from violet-blue to purple. Also the styles seem to be more blueish than before. So the question is, if this depends on the age of the flower or if the new picture shows another plant.
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
It is very typical zagrica. As species it is quite variable. Note black anthers - one of special features of zagrica. Such anthers has only zagrica and my subsp. kurdica of reticulata.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
Thanks Arthur and Winwen!
Yes Iris pamphylica is multiplying slowly in a few clones - some did not multiply in several years.
Winwen - this Iris zagrica is a different plant to the shown one earlier - you are right it has bluish standards and purple falls, also flower is smaller - as Janis mentioned before first plant possibly does not belong to Iris zagrica.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

ronm

« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
Hans, did you start your I.pamphylica from seed? It is a truly beautiful plant, especially so when seen growing well as per your pictures. 8) You mention different clones and I wondered how they came about. Superb!! :o

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
This is my only retic to flower this year, Iris 'White Caucasus'. As I said last year (and probably the year before as well ::)  ) it isn't white, it has a blue tinge to it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
Nice to see you've still got it, David.  It is still whiter than 'Natasha'.  The ones I bought in a pot at the Early Bulb Display last year rotted away after flowering.  I must try to get some bulbs this autumn.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ronm

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
It is very nice David.  8) 8). I too will be looking out for some bulbs of it this autumn. Thanks for showing. :)

JimF

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2012, 11:45:44 PM »
Here are some reticulatas and some McMurtie hybrids which bloomed in Jan. and Feb.

Iris 'Orange Glow' - not much orange, but a lovely, glowing flower. It was in bloom in mid Jan.
I. 'Passion' - I really like the greens in this one. Not sure why passion for a name, but it's a beauty.
I. 'Sea Green' - perfect blends of blue, green, and yellow for me.
I. reticulata 'Bold 'n Beautiful' - it is a very large flower, well proportioned.
I. reticulata 'Velvet Smile' - rich in color and elegant in form. A long lasting flower, which just went over two days ago.
I. 'Avalanche' - from the side a lovely blue white, but from the top it's bold blue stripe is striking.
I. histriodes - Nature doing just fine on her own.
I. reticulatus ssp. caucasicus - the photo is a bit over-exposed as the flower is darker, but I really like the crossed standards.

Jim

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
Very nice indeed Jim and very well grown, could you tell us which part of the world you garden in please? I'm a little bit concerned about your last one "Iris reticulatus ssp. caucasicus"-where did the name come from please. It's not listed in The Plant List and looks to me (although I accept I'm no expert) like any rather nice I. reticulata form.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
Very lovely Jim. 8)
I particularly like the I.reticulata in the last picture. Is this a recognised ssp. , do you know?

ronm

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
Snap, David !! ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
 ;)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

arilnut

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »
David, Jim is in Washington state USA. He should be back on later today.

John
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal