We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris-2012  (Read 38313 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Reticulate Iris-2012
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
Some Iris pskemense variation
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Few white and so named white reticulatas to compare
On first so named winogradowii Alba and reticulata NATASHA
On second in line from left to right - true reticulata ALBA from Armenia and light blue from Armenia (for both thanks to Zhirair) and WHITE CAUCASUS (almost white, but only almost...)
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
Few more pictures of different I. kolpakowskiana and I. pskemense.
Janis

ronm

« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »
These are really very beautiful plants Janis.  8) 8) 8). Are they any more difficult to grow than the I.reticulata forms?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
My I. ret. 'Natascha' is consistently much whiter than in your picture Janis. On the other hand, the second picture here is a seedling from Alan in Canada (I mean my plant from his seed) which started almost white in 2005/6/7 and has been light blue ever since! The photo was taken in 2005 when it first flowered.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
These are really very beautiful plants Janis.  8) 8) 8). Are they any more difficult to grow than the I.reticulata forms?

The short answer is "Yes."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ronm

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
Oh that's disappointing :(. Thanks for saying anyway Lesley. :) ;) In what way?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2012, 11:29:10 PM »
Well of course I'm saying so from no personal experience at all, never having had pskemense (and never likely to), and the 3 batches of seed I had from kolpakowskiana didn't produce even 1 seedling let alone a flowering plant. So I'm making a rash assumption, but the general availability of both suggests they are quite difficult whereas the retics for me at least, are easy enough, especially in the open garden.

No doubt Janis will give you a better answer. I suspect it would like comparing for difficulty, e.g. tall bearded iris and oncos. Skill is everything.

winwen

« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Few more pictures of different I. kolpakowskiana and I. pskemense.
Janis
This I pskemense is such a colorful little thing - I really love it!
Janis, it's good to see how your stock is gradually recovering.
How long do you think will it take until you will be able to offer it again in your catalogue?
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Alan McMurtrie

• Its a Smile
    • Reticulata Iris
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
Two of this year's new hybrids: 05-GQ-3 and 05-GI-1

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Welcome Alan, good to have you posting here. You do realise that you will have us all dribbling looking at your hybrids.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
A very warm welcome to the Forum Alan. We've enjoyed many of your fabulous hybrids through Janis's postings. It's great that you are joining in too. We love every one. :D

It seems these two new ones have just about done away with standards altogether. Is this a trend you are persuing or just an aberration which appears occasionally? I really love those earthy colours and the greens, especially.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:25:31 PM by Lesley Cox »

Alan McMurtrie

• Its a Smile
    • Reticulata Iris
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
The answer is somewhat clear -- they are from <i>danfordiae</i> breeding.  The smile is the Dutch grower I'm working with says my hybrids are "not finished" because most don't have standards; meaning normal standards.

From my point-of-view the standards don't matter.  It's coming up with new colours and patterns that's most important.

It's been a long up hill battle to get to this point.  Its frustrating seeing the Dutch grower rejecting some of what I consider to be my better hybrids.  'Spot On' should be available next year, and we may be able to start sales of 'White Caucasus' in earnest.

06-BD-2 is from <i>danfordiae</i> and has standards.

One "smile" is whites are easy.  I've got them coming out my ears so-to-speak.  Oh no, not another white! [or perhaps more accurately, white with blue accents, or white with green accents].  What is exciting with white, is white with orange [at this point the orange fades] as in 03-FQ-1.  05-GI-1 in my previous post has orange on the fall.

Below are 06-BD-1, 03-FQ-1, 03-FO-2, and 06-C-2

ronm

« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
I'm sorry but what is this all about please?  What is the end result you are trying to accomplish? Aren't the species enough?  Guess not?? ??? ???

ronm

« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
We've enjoyed many of your fabulous hybrids through Janis's postings. It's great that you are joining in too. We love every one.

Not the royal We Lesley?. You may have, I definitely haven't. Different strokes .... etc...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal