We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chilli peppers  (Read 8217 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Chilli peppers
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »
I have just finished sowing my chilli's(26 varieties).
Naga(Bhut Jolockia)
Scorpian Butch T
Bubblegum7
Numex Twilight
Paper Lantern
Red Congo
Orange Habarnero
Chocolate Hab
White Hab
Dragon x Butch T hyb
Sweet Banana
Thai Hots
Black Pearl
Purple Beauty
Hanoi Red
Maui purple
Scotch Bonnet
Cherry Hots
Chinese five colour
Cowhorn
Mexican Superhots
Veriagata
Red Cayenne
California Bell
Chilly Chilli
Little elf
 I was just wondering if there any fellow chilli heads here.I will have some spare plants in the future ;D if anybody would like a plant?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Chilli peppers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
Davey - What no Facing Heaven Chilis from Sichuan?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

daveyp1970

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
John its not one i know about, but from the description i have just seen it will be on the list for next season. ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

johnw

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
John its not one i know about, but from the description i have just seen it will be on the list for next season. ;D

Davey  - It is one I cook with frequently, they have a citrusy taste and are medium hot, mild enough that you can eat a few but generally they are not eaten.  The seeds seem impossible to find - see note below.  The ones I use are dried and only once did I get seeds that sprouted - wonder if the chilis are heat-cured - but it was too late in the season for them to persist.  I can always send you some seeds to trial, if that is, I find some extremely fresh-looking ones.

It is listed as Capsicum annuum var. conoides.  Having just browsed that name I see http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm has them.  On their site they say "They are full of the flavour you would get from Sichuan peppercorns" which is certainly not the case. Sichuan pepercorns are from a species of Zanthoxylum tree and give the "ma" of Sichuan food, an entirely different experience than the "la" from FHC. Both of these ingredients were banned in the USA for a long time - the peppercorns were said to harbour a citrus virus canker and the chilis, well no one is certain exactly why they were banned.

I have just dashed off a note to see if they ship to Canada.

johnw - -7c

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:34:26 PM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
If you ever find a Latin name for "two golden strip" chilis that is another I have been trying to source.  In Chinese er jin tiao.

johnw

daveyp1970

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
John if they don't send to Canada,i will buy some and send you some. ;D Thanks for the link and its good to hear from a fellow chilli lover.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

johnw

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
John if they don't send to Canada,i will buy some and send you some. ;D Thanks for the link and its good to hear from a fellow chilli lover.

Thanks so much. Now you must certainly buy Fuchsia Dunlop's Land of Plenty.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »
Hot heads, the pair of you! ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »
John and Davey,
A local Vietnamese submarine sandwich shop uses long (up to ~5cm), very narrow (less than a cm wide) red chilies, whole and raw, in their sandwiches.  These add a pleasant kick but are not overly hot.  I realize there are probably a zillion possibilities as to what these might be, but could you narrow down the range?  I wouldn't mind growing these, as I quite like them in the sandwiches.  Thanks in advance!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Ezeiza

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:11 AM »
Sadly no plants, but I would be interested in any named variety next time you have seed.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

daveyp1970

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
John and Davey,
A local Vietnamese submarine sandwich shop uses long (up to ~5cm), very narrow (less than a cm wide) red chilies, whole and raw, in their sandwiches.  These add a pleasant kick but are not overly hot.  I realize there are probably a zillion possibilities as to what these might be, but could you narrow down the range?  I wouldn't mind growing these, as I quite like them in the sandwiches.  Thanks in advance!
Lori there is a little Vietnamese chilli called Ot,what i would do is when your in there next ask if you could get a whole chilli off them de seed it and sow.I can send you some seeds of a little red one i grow at the end of the year.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

daveyp1970

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
Sadly no plants, but I would be interested in any named variety next time you have seed.
At the end of the growing season Alberto i will get in touch with you.

On my list there is a chilli named scorpian butch T it is the hottest in the world. ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

johnw

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
John and Davey,

Lori - Next time I'm in a Vietnamese sandwich shop I will ask which chili that might be. 

johnw    -  -9c at 7am

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:55:10 AM »
From a local fair in spring we got a variety of vegie seedlings including a "Pimento" - I'm wondering if this is a type of chilli or just a capsicum - does anyone here know?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

daveyp1970

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
From a local fair in spring we got a variety of vegie seedlings including a "Pimento" - I'm wondering if this is a type of chilli or just a capsicum - does anyone here know?
cheers
fermi
It is a chilli Fermi they can be mild to having quite a nice heat.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal