We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chilli peppers  (Read 8234 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Chilli peppers
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Thanks,
Davey - I'll try to remember to post some pics when they ripen.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »
Just waiting for Ian to find this thread.......  hope I can head him off the scent of seed  :-\
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:41:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
Just waiting for Ian to find this thread.......  hope I can head him off the scent of seed  :-\
Maggie my friend tells me Ian will be doing a talk near me and having coffee at there house a week of  friday,i could always bring a pot of seedlings along for him,how hot does he like them? ;D But he more than welcome to seed.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
Davey, don't you dare!

But .... will you be going to his talk? He's doing a couple in the area, I think, different ones. Can you go along? He'd love to meet you.

Just looking to see where he's going....
Lincs HPS talk Jan 28th  and  SLUGs in Peterborough  on the Thursday 26th ?...... now to find what SLUGs is!
Aha! South Lincolnshire Garden Society .... where Sharron and Carol and the Curtises  are?  8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:53:11 PM by Maggi Young »

daveyp1970

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
Davey, don't you dare!

But .... will you be going to his talk? He's doing a couple in the area, I think, different ones. Can you go along? He'd love to meet you.
Margret and Jim Swindon(my friends who have a fantastic snowdrop collection) asked me if had heard of an Ian Young and that he was doing a talk for them and would i like to come and meet him......WELL DO TURKEYS GET SCARED OF CHRISTMAS ;D.I will be there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:57:19 PM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
That's EXCELLENT! He'll  be delighted.  8) 8)

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »
Maggi,
why are you scared of Ian growing chillies? Would he start adding them to everything he cooks?
Here are a few we are growing this year.
Cayenne - we tried a green one (de-seeded) in a stir-fry last night but it didn't seem to add any "heat"! Maybe these need to be red to do that?
327437-0

327439-1

Thai (large bush)
327441-2

Thai (small)
327443-3

and the Pimento
327445-4

327447-5
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

daveyp1970

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Fermi there are some lovely chilli plants there,my seeds just germinated,i have few special plants that i have over wintered but they are what chilli lovers call superhots,i have just started them into growth(Capsicum chinense varieties)they take a long time  to mature friut.
Fermi your Cayenne should gain heat as the fruit matures,this is the first chilli i ever grew and still one of my favourite,makes a superb chilli oil with olive oil to spice a salad up or blend a bit of Cayenne with some sugar to a pulp then make some raspberry jelly(or any flavour you like)put the chilli pulp in the mix give it a good stir ,stick in the fridge to set.I like the coolness of the jelly with the heat kick of the jelly.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:18:15 AM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »
blend a bit of Cayenne with some sugar to a pulp then make some raspberry jelly(or any flavour you like)put the chilli pulp in the mix give it a good stir ,stick in the fridge to set.I like the coolness of the jelly with the heat kick of the jelly.
Could make for an interesting triffle! ;D
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

maggiepie

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »
i have few special plants that i have over wintered but they are what chilli lovers call superhots,i have just started them into growth(Capsicum chinense varieties)they take to mature friut.

Davey, how do you over winter your special chilli plants?
I have several in the basement at the moment ( around +8C) and a habanero in the bedroom that is looking very sad but still alive.
Unfortunately, I have to go over it every day searching for aphids.
If there is a better way to winter them I would love to know.

Helen Poirier , Australia

daveyp1970

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Helen more or less the same as you,i have a spare bedroom which i turn the heating almost off,your heat at 8c is fantastic they hate it below 6c,i minimse watering to virtually nothing cut back the stem to about five inches,shake the old compost off the roots then put into a small a pot as possible(otherwise the compost could hold on to to much water,wet and cold=death)Hab are fantastic peppers look and taste good,but it will sad for a while until there ready to move again,my plants are just moved into my living room and placed next front window. The room is heated by a closed solid fuel fire, so gets warm.But still at this point i am careful with the watering.I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:37:26 AM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

daveyp1970

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
Just one more thing if people want to grow chilli's and they can overwinter them,the yield in the second year from seed is incredible making overwintering worth while.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

maggiepie

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
Thanks, Davey!

Last year I cut tops and bottoms and potted them for winter.
Unfortunately, one of them didn't care for the pruning and started to go black at all places where it had been pruned.
Had to throw it out, so letting this one in my bedroom alone. It is actually a scotch bonnet and had tiny fruit when I brought it indoors.
We managed to harvest a dozen or so after they ripened and made a great jerk marinade with them.

It was so wet and cool last summer that most of my plants were only just starting to fruit when the killing frosts came.

daveyp1970

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
Thanks, Davey!

Last year I cut tops and bottoms and potted them for winter.
Unfortunately, one of them didn't care for the pruning and started to go black at all places where it had been pruned.
Had to throw it out, so letting this one in my bedroom alone. It is actually a scotch bonnet and had tiny fruit when I brought it indoors.
We managed to harvest a dozen or so after they ripened and made a great jerk marinade with them.

It was so wet and cool last summer that most of my plants were only just starting to fruit when the killing frosts came.

This is the reason Helen why i start mine early so 100% get good ripe fruit,Habs, scotch bonnets are all C.chinense varieties and need along growing season.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

maggiepie

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
This is the reason Helen why i start mine early so 100% get good ripe fruit,Habs, scotch bonnets are all C.chinense varieties and need along growing season.

Davey, it doesn't seem to matter how early I start mine.
They still seem to take the same amount of time to fruit, except for over wintered plants.
We have a very short growing season here, can't plant them out before June and can have frosts as early as September.

:'( :'(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal