We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chilli peppers  (Read 8225 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Chilli peppers
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
This is the reason Helen why i start mine early so 100% get good ripe fruit,Habs, scotch bonnets are all C.chinense varieties and need along growing season.

Davey, it doesn't seem to matter how early I start mine.
They still seem to take the same amount of time to fruit, except for over wintered plants.
We have a very short growing season here, can't plant them out before June and can have frosts as early as September.

:'( :'(
Are your planted out in greenhouse or pollytunnel,because if not and you are planting in the open you will struggle,unless you get a very hot summer,mine are shifted into the greenhouse and cheap plastic greenhouses for the summer,try and grow one in a pot on a sunny windowsill all year you will see the difference,if you want chillis to plant out choose Capsicum annuum varieties(there are hundreds,Cayenne being one of my favs) they don't need such a long grow and are hardier and super quick to fruit,i have one in flower at the moment.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

maggiepie

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »

Are your planted out in greenhouse or pollytunnel,because if not and you are planting in the open you will struggle,unless you get a very hot summer,mine are shifted into the greenhouse and cheap plastic greenhouses for the summer,try and grow one in a pot on a sunny windowsill all year you will see the difference,if you want chillis to plant out choose Capsicum annuum varieties(there are hundreds,Cayenne being one of my favs) they don't need such a long grow and are hardier and super quick to fruit,i have one in flower at the moment.

Davey, I start my seeds in January, grow under lights indoors until it is warm enough to move them to my little greenhouse. I don't plant them out in the garden until the soil has warmed right up, mid June or so.
2 years ago I had a great year with them. Had heaps of fruit, last two years have been very disappointing.
I might try leaving a few in pots this year and see how they go.
Unfortunately, C. annum varieties are not my favourites apart from Jalapeno ( I think those are C. annum?)
One of my favourites is Bishop's Crown. I like the flavour of it when green and red.
I find it a very useful chilli.
Helen Poirier , Australia

daveyp1970

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »
Helen your system is to the letter of what i do,as you have found a bad summer does make a big difference.Bishop's Crown is not one i grow or tried but will in the future,lovely looking chilli.I am so chuffed you are a fellow chilli lover,if there's any you like the sound of off my list let me know and i will send you some seed.
I have noticed you like the hots,I do have  some spare Naga seed if you would like they are pre soaking on damp paper at the moment,you might get a crop out of the or at least a good plant for next year,they are very hot though.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

daveyp1970

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
The only other thing Helen that i think is important,is i tickle all my flowers with a soft brush so as to assure fruit set,i have to do this early on but even later in the year when insects are about i still do it.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

maggiepie

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
Davey, I will PM you.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
Maggi,
why are you scared of Ian growing chillies? Would he start adding them to everything he cooks?

cheers
fermi
Yes, everything!  It's bad enough when he's restricted by what he is able to find in the shop. I don't mind a little chilli, sometimes.... I'd be the first to say a nice chilli jam can be treat with meat or chesse.... but I don't want every meal to be red hot... which is what would happen. :o :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
We have a Chilli Farm down here

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

Good tea shop as well but most things taste of chilli, even the cakes!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

daveyp1970

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Maggi,
why are you scared of Ian growing chillies? Would he start adding them to everything he cooks?

cheers
fermi
Yes, everything!  It's bad enough when he's restricted by what he is able to find in the shop. I don't mind a little chilli, sometimes.... I'd be the first to say a nice chilli jam can be treat with meat or chesse.... but I don't want every meal to be red hot... which is what would happen. :o :P
Maggie that fair made me chuckle,i have found chilli has made it  into most of my meals. ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

daveyp1970

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
We have a Chilli Farm down here

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

Good tea shop as well but most things taste of chilli, even the cakes!
They have a fantastic website David and a very good forum to chat about anything chilli.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

maggiepie

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
Maggie that fair made me chuckle,i have found chilli has made it  into most of my meals. ;D

It's most likely all those endorphins being released and giving your brain orgasms  ;D ;D ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »

It's most likely all those endorphins being released and giving your brain orgasms  ;D ;D ;D

Ooh!   :o    Well, maybe I should think again....... ::)   My brain can use all the help it can get.

maggiepie

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
Maggi, I have some chilli chocolate in the fridge, sent to me by a friend in Finland.
 ;D ;D
Chocolate is supposed to release endorphins too  ;D ;D ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
I've been given chilli chocolate  in the past.... quite tasty, I admit.

daveyp1970

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
Maggi, I have some chilli chocolate in the fridge, sent to me by a friend in Finland.
 ;D ;D
Chocolate is supposed to release endorphins too  ;D ;D ;D
win win and  win ;D ;D ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Darren

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
I've been enjoying this thread and am most definitely a chiili head - though our attempts to grow them have been fairly hopeless!

Susan requested chilli on her pizza tonight. The pack of mixed chillis we got from our local oriental supermarket last week have been disappointingly wussy thus far, so I thought I'd double up on quantity. They seem to have matured a bit since last week. Susan immediately got hiccups and even I had to drink some milk afterwards to put the fire out...

Nice pizza though ;D ;D

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal