We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemonopsis macrophylla  (Read 6406 times)

Claire Cockcroft

Anemonopsis macrophylla
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »
I grow Anemonopsis macrophylla well enough to get flowers and seed set but I don't think I do a particularly good job of it.  I have a nice pot of seedlings planted last year and I just received seed of a couple of special forms.  Can someone offer advice on how to grow Anemonopsis well?  Planning for the spring is a good way to forget about today's snow, sleet, and generally miserable conditions.

Thanks.

Claire
Bellevue, Washington
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:38:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Anemonopsis macrophylla
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
The obvious but not very helpful answer is that it depends upon your location. ;D
I can only say that it grows well for me in dappled shade in sandy not too fertile humusy soil under hazels. Usually I need to water in late spring early summer because that is the driest season here. the drainage is good because it sits on a slope. It seems to be perfectly frost hardy here and I have colder winters than you have in WA.
Good luck with them
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
I have to agree completely with Göte, Claire.

Here it grows well in shade under a Cherry tree (the normal form) and under a common walnut (the white form). It grows in soil with good drainage (our local sandy soil mixed with leafmould) and get's watered in summer (when it would be too dry for them to thrive). But I have to say that it took about 3 years for them to start growing well. This year they both set seeds quite well! Perfectly hardy here too, but my climate is warmer than Göte's so...
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »
I lost all my Anemonopsis plants last winter when we first had very cold weather (for us) in November and December, then a rather mild and wet January and part of February followed by very cold weather in the last part of February and nil snow cover. The previous winter was cold too but more stable cold throughout the season and snow cower all winter.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »
Thank you, Maggi, for the links.  I noted the issue of sun burn and also the drainage requirement.  My soil is creek bottom clay that's been heavily amended with arborist's shreddings, so I'll have to look for spots with the best drainage.

After a very mild and dry start to winter, we're having a good dose of reality.  It seems appropriate that this little Julie primula is named 'Snow White'.

...0 degrees C and sleet/snow/rain mix off and on all day
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
I've only lost Anemonopsis in summer dry. I have a nasty feeling I may also have lost Primula 'Snow White' too. After a very little rain last week (the weeds have been rejuvenated) we are again cooking.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
Well I won't be any help for your question Claire. 

You seem to be doing better growing yours than I have been mine, I'd love to have flowers and seed.  I've only had foliage each year since planting in 2007.  Mine is planted in a raised be in the shade garden.  I'll be checking out all of Maggie's links.  :)

The weather here is the same as yours - yucky cold, snow and miserable.  Doesn't sound like any improvement - forecast for overnight is "Winter storm warning - significant snow accumulation".  :(
Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »
Hi Claire,

In the wild, Anemonopsis macrophylla grows only in the subalpine zones with relatively high humidity at around 1000 m above sea level under deciduous forests in northeast Japan.

They don't like direct sun at all and they should be planted in humus-rich but well-drained soil. They don't like to be dried out (or over-soaked) and are relatively cold hardy but they won't tolerate a hard freeze either. They don't need a lot of fertilizer but do need a little, otherwise they will be slow to mature, so give them slow-release fertilizer in mid-April and September, and give a weak liquid fertilizer twice in April/May, and again in September/October.

I'd be happy to chat more at our next chapter meeting. :)

Here is a link with some good pictures of Anemonopsis macrophylla in the wild. Hope it helps!
http://sikisansaku.sakura.ne.jp/232_mitake/hana/0608.html
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:19:02 AM »
Thank you for the link Peppa

Such beautiful graceful flowers - I'll be giving mine a little boost at your suggested appropriate times.

Julie
Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Peppa

that is a very good link.

I find that it grows easily in rich moist soil and last winters freeze to -7c did it no harm but a day in the sun burns the leaves of. I am waiting to see if the seeds of 'White swan' germinate.

I see from the map you live in the middle of the freeway ,how is that for growing conditions? :)
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »
I see from the map you live in the middle of the freeway ,how is that for growing conditions? :)

As long as you are agile, it's not too bad. :P ;D
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »

As long as you are agile, it's not too bad. :P ;D

;D ;D ;D

I expect the traffic makes for constant  air movement, so not too much botrytis to worry about? I believe that traffic fumes kill 99 per cent of all garden pests, too. Worry that it might kill the gardeners as well, though...... ::) :-X

327435-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »
They may not get deep freezes in their natural habitat, but none of mine were damaged last winter, they survived -20C with no snow cover both in pots and in the garden. (I did however loose every single Asteropyrum :P )

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
They may not get deep freezes in their natural habitat, but none of mine were damaged last winter, they survived -20C with no snow cover both in pots and in the garden. (I did however loose every single Asteropyrum :P )

I assumed they were killed by the winter but it could have been slugs in early spring too although I didn't spot many last spring. Glad I hadn't any Asteropyrum to loose ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal