We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus R.I.P.  (Read 5729 times)

Martina Kopsieker

Re: Galanthus R.I.P.
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

Dear Steve,

so at last there is hope, thaks for your comfort, I won't take the "lable" off the spot!

Martina

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »

I must do an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything.  When it comes to elwesii, plicatus and nivalis named snowdrops do you list by name with ie. elwesii after the name or just list by groups with elwesii in front of the name?  Does that make sense? :)  I will try to start it tonight.Jennie

Apologies, Jennie I missed this question. Here's a sample row. In the first example Plant# is the column header with 74 under in the row and so on.  All column headers in bold, rows entries not in bold.

Plant # (only one number for the same variety but recorded separately in a different row for each source of the same variety. same number for same variety sent by same donor at a different time)

Description (would be simpler if Genus,species, var., ssp., Group were in spearate columns for search purposes)
Galanthus lagodechianus (nivalis group)   

Pot number (there will be data for all the years since receipt - 1990 to 2012 in this case - in separate columns - now hidden)

Size Pot 2012

4" DEEP to TALL (in 2012 column I see I transplanted them from a 4" deep to a larger TALL pot)   

next row down might be POT#2 of same from same source in same year and so on

Bulb Count in that pot / that year

Size of bulb yr 2012

6 large / 2 small   

Pot Location 2012

coldframe #1

Original Source

D.Armstrong

Date Received

7 Sept 1990

Notes

look healthy

Notes 2012 next column

Discovered Don received this from Thelma Chapman 1992 ex Broadleigh Gardens 1984

Notes 2012 next column

received as kemulariae etc. etc.

Recipients

sent to P. Frost 1 Oct 2009

If thoroughly confused I can send ansample excel sheet to you. Perhaps others can recommend other data that should be recorded. Note your label should record, name, donor, date, pot# (1 of 3 pots) and a brief note. Back-up - write the same info on the pot in case label disappears.

Remarkably easy to botch the job but not too difficult to straighten out later!  It would be interesting to hear what Chris and Steve record.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:15:52 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
Martina and Steve, I don't want to worry you but my Blonde Inge's are all up (but never very Blonde!)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

steve owen

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »
Brian
You don't.
Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »

I must do an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything.  When it comes to elwesii, plicatus and nivalis named snowdrops do you list by name with ie. elwesii after the name or just list by groups with elwesii in front of the name?  Does that make sense? :)  I will try to start it tonight.Jennie

Apologies, Jennie I missed this question. Here's a sample row. In the first example Plant# is the column header with 74 under in the row and so on.  All column headers in bold, rows entries not in bold.

Description (would be simpler if Genus,species, var., ssp., Group were in spearate columns for search purposes)
Galanthus lagodechianus (nivalis group)   

Remarkably easy to botch the job but not too difficult to straighten out later!  It would be interesting to hear what Chris and Steve record.

johnw

Thanks for that John.  I have infact started it after doing a crash course online to learn Microsoft 10.  I have more or less done as you described but I never made another column for species, var, ssp etc - I will add one.  I intend to try and have a bulb count every year and record it.  I think I should probably add a PROBLEMS column as well !

I am glad I kept meticulous notes of every purchase but failed to count the bulbs I started with.   I will certainly do that from now on.

many thanks for your help
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:16 AM »
Martina and Steve, I don't want to worry you but my Blonde Inge's are all up (but never very Blonde!)

Mine are only mm's out of the ground.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »
It looks as though my G artjushenkoae seedlings might be gone.  There is
a cup-sized hole in the bed where I planted them.  Hopefully the squirrel
scattered the little bulbs while it was digging and didn't eat them.

Usually the squirrels carefully insert walnuts into my flower pots and do it
without destroying what is in the pots.  A raised bed gives them more space
for their excavations.

(These are not our shy deep woods native squirrels, but the gray menace
from the East that an idiot let loose on Vancouver Island.)
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

ChrisD

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »

Thanks for that John.  I have infact started it after doing a crash course on line to learn Microsoft 10.  I have more or less done as you described but I never made another column for species, var, ssp etc - I will add one.  I intend to try and have a bulb count every year and record it.  I think I should probably add a PROBLEMS column as well !

I am glad I kept meticulous notes of every purchase but failed to count the bulbs I started with.   I will certainly do that from now on.

Jennie

Jennie, you might want to include date appeared and/or date of flowering each year. That may save you some anxiety in future years.  ;D ;D ;D

Pleased to see some of your "no shows" are eventually appearing. A few of mine are still to appear but fingers crossed they will get there in the end.

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

Thanks for that John.  I have infact started it after doing a crash course on line to learn Microsoft 10.  I have more or less done as you described but I never made another column for species, var, ssp etc - I will add one.  I intend to try and have a bulb count every year and record it.  I think I should probably add a PROBLEMS column as well !

Jennie

Jennie, you might want to include date appeared and/or date of flowering each year. That may save you some anxiety in future years.  ;D ;D ;D

Chris

Good idea Chris - thanks.  Even if I put early/mid/late and very late it would help.

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
Brian didn't i send you a blonde inge,i can promise you it is 100% right i bought it from Gil Richardson(i hope i have spelt Gils name right) last year and the flowered as they should.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »
Yes, thank you Davey you did, it's not as advanced as the ones in the ground that aren't blonde!  I am looking forward to seeing it flower.  Cheers
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 10:42:09 PM »
Going through my records just now I see my Ecusson d'Or, or is it D'Or, failed to come up in 2010 and 2011. There is always hope!

Fingers crosses for Floccon de Neige
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »
Mark, I only learned a little french, but. I think it is Ecusson d' Or.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »
Mark, I only learned a little french, but. I think it is Ecusson d' Or.Lina.

Certainly should be d'Or but maybe Goldwappen is better. ;)
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal