We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is this stag?  (Read 3314 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Is this stag?
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
I've never seen stag before, so can someone please confirm my suspicions?  And advice, please, on whether I just need to winkle out the diseased one, or do I need to destroy the potful  :-[ ?
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Is this stag?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
Diane that looks quite similar to what i have described on the muscari thread.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
I would say yes also. Knock out the bulbs and you should see reddish streaks on the bulb.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
I think yes, Diane. It is the begin!
Separate the healthy bulbs (one and one and one) and give a fungizid too.

Look to the infectet bulb. Should be a little bit redbrown and glassy with destroyed roots.
If it is not, may be you have good luck.
Fingers crossed!
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Diane that looks quite similar to what i have described on the muscari thread.
Oh! I though you meant yellowing tips as in die back... I think that's what Ian thought too  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
It doesn't look quite like my experience of stag. which gave rise to red blotches on the leaves.  But whatever it is, treat as for stag i.e. follow Hagen's advice.
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
It doesn't look quite like my experience of stag. which gave rise to red blotches on the leaves.  But whatever it is, treat as for stag i.e. follow Hagen's advice.

Alan  - On Galanthus I have only once seen minor red leaf blotchings.  I have seen some distortion of leaves and 2-3 times reddish blotches on the sheath.  Usually the whole shoot lets go at a basal rotten point - sometimes on a weak plant but also on strong ones.  Quite different with Hippeastrum which show the whole range of symptoms.

johnw - frigid here today, -7.8c and blazing sunshine.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and advice so far.  I have isolated the culprit and put it away from the others.  All have been treated with fungicide.  

I will add that the plant has 3 symptoms which may not be entirely clear from the picture:
  • the yellow and brown marks on the leaves
  • the leaves are twisted and distorted at the point of the damage
  • the leaves are distinctly more green than glaucous compared with the other plants

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:13:31 PM by Diane Clement »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
Here is a picture from my stag. outbreak of 2008 showing the worst-affected leaves.  By coincidence the photo was taken on Jan 22nd 2008. 
Almost in Scotland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
Alan - that looks rather different to what I thought - perhaps wrongly -  might be stag on narcissus leaves a couple of years ago. It was much more reddish in my case. Are you sure of your diagnosis?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
No, I am by no means sure of the diagnosis; how can one be?  However I think Stag. manifests a little differently on narcissus.

Here is a picture taken in-situ 6 days before the one I posted earlier.  Poor old "Colossus", how are the mighty fallen.  
Almost in Scotland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
No, I am by no means sure of the diagnosis; how can one be?  However I think Stag. manifests a little differently on narcissus.

Here is a picture taken in-situ 6 days before the one I posted earlier.  Poor old "Colossus", how are the mighty fallen.  
Alan - I presume one could be sure of a diagnosis by sending a sample to the pathology dept. at RHS Wisley. Your second picture looks much more like what I observed on Narcissus.
I wonder which fungicide Diane used? I found carbendazim stopped the spread of the disease, but this is no longer available.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »
I wonder which fungicide Diane used? I found carbendazim stopped the spread of the disease, but this is no longer available.   

Some products "no longer available" on the shelves of the garden centres may still be available on the shelves of some garden sheds   ;D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »
Alan - I presume one could be sure of a diagnosis by sending a sample to the pathology dept. at RHS Wisley.

No, I sacrificed a bulb of Wendy's Gold that way and after a long interval RHS Wisley came back with a "Don't know".  Admittedly I only sent the bulb and I had previously cleaned my bulbs by removing the decayed outer scales so the one I sent didn't look too bad.  But I don't think Wisley ever do anything more than recognise the disease from the symptoms and my impression is that the forum has more collective knowledge on stag. in snowdrops than RHS Wisley.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:45:50 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
I have been looking on the internet for a product containing carbendazem to treat stag breakouts (hope I don't get one).  I had a little colony of Lapwing with stag this year and have a few sachets of my old fungicide left....but it has nearly all gone.

I found this site

http://www.pitchcare.com/shop/professional-insecticides/ringer-5l-carbendazim.html?telx=01902-440268&gclid=CPHbjpapgK4CFUcTfAodPSwW4g

They say they sell on-line to 'domestic enthusiasts' so it doesn't seem as if they want trade details?  The product is called Ringers and comes in a 5L bottle at £114 with VAT and excluding postage!  If 5 people had a litre each it would make it almost acceptable  :)  If it was just used for soaking infected bulbs once in a while it would last forever.

Just thought I would post the info.

Jennie

Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal