We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2012  (Read 31092 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
John - that really is an elegant form of woronowii. Just to show that those who love snowdrops have a soft spot for all of them, we have a woronowii with ridiculously tiny flowers, but somehow it is completely charming! (The picture doesn't do it justice, you have to see it in full flower in the garden).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »
John - great photos and account of your trip.  I love that autumn shot with the waterfall - very nice.  When I first looked at the woronowii I thought they were krasnovii.  Its amazing the variation of woronowii grown in different gardens.  I am attaching a pic of mine - they seem to have a slightly longer pedicel ?

Looking forward to more of your blog

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
Indeed it was a pretty 'woronowii' flower - I wonder if Kew might have it misnamed (like the double 'John Gray' I first noticed...).  What are others thoughts on it being something other than woronowii?

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
Indeed it was a pretty 'woronowii' flower - I wonder if Kew might have it misnamed (like the double 'John Gray' I first noticed...).  What are others thoughts on it being something other than woronowii?

I'd say definitely woronowii. The outers are the wrong shape and the mark wrong for ikariae, which is the only other thing it might be (but isn't).
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »
Today - "Australia Day" - started with lots of flags, an inflatable kangaroo and various unhealthy treats (kangaroo jerky, twisties, barbecue shapes, cherry ripe, and violet crumble) in the office.  

We then found out at 8.00am that it was also 'India Republic Day' so two of my Indian colleagues put up a large 6ft by 6ft picture of an Indian Tiger and produced a tray of traditional Indian sweets too!  Because of these two national days being important to various members of the team there was disagreement on what food should be ordered in for lunch!  In the end everyone agreed to have Mexican food delivered!!  ::)

Fortunately for me I was finishing work today at 11.30am and rushing up to Euston Railway Station for the 11.54 to Leighton Buzzard.  Myself and some other members of SRGC (and a couple of lurkers ;) ) were lucky enough to be visiting one of the Galanthus National Plant Collections.  We were all due to arrive at Steve Owen's house for 13.00.

Steve had prepared a warming lunch of soups and savouries (I am sure with some help from Mrs Owen  ;) ).  We all sat down and chatted about snowdrops, while contentedly stuffing our faces and frustratedly watching the rain, possibly sleet, fall outside!.....   Fortunately for us, Steve had arranged the weather perfectly and as the last morsel of food was consumed the clouds parted to reveal some blue sky.  I swiftly found myself outside with my camera followed seconds later by the others.

We spent a most enjoyable hour or two wandering around Steve's front, back and side gardens (oh, how I wish I had more space at my place!).   There were so many lovely snowdrops to keep us all nattering for hours more but unfortunately the temperature eventually sent us all indoors to warm up.  We entered the kitchen to find a wonderful array of biscuits and cake (and warmth  :)) But sadly at his point I had decided to head off for my train to London so that I could then try and get back down to Kent before the full London rush hour occurred.  I am sure the rest of them are still sitting there now talking about gardens visited and plants seen....   8)

Steve has many wonderful plants in his collection and I spotted some that have been on my wish list for a while and some new ones to add to the wish list!

I didn't take as many pictures as I would like - but here are a few from today:

Pic 1 - the group shot (Alan, KentGardener, Richard, Margaret, Steve)

Pic 2 - 'Bagpuize Greentips' - I've not seen this before but rather liked it.

Pic 3 - Another of those rather interesting green ones coming from Mainland Europe.

Pic 4 - 'Huttlestone' - with those lovely green leaves.

Pic 5 - 'Moses Basket' - I didn't realise that this can be quite variable year on year.  It has been on my wish list for a few years and is still so even when it is mis-behaving like this!   8)

Pic 6 - 'Kirtling Tower' - has been on my wish list even longer.  

Pic 7 - The absolutely stunning 'Margaret Biddulph'.

Pic 8 - 'Sentinel' in the sunshine.

Pic 9 - Separate studying of plants
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:35:33 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Far, far better to visit Steve than have Mexican for lunch I think :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »
And the last few photos I did take.

Pic 1 - 'Vertigo' - funky flower
Pic 2 - 'Rosie'
Pic 3 - 'Myers Greentip'
Pic 4 - 'Rodmarton Regulus' - substantial flower.
Pic 5 - 'Rodmarton Regulus'

I hope you have enjoyed sharing today's outing. :)

That's it until the weekend as I have to do a long day in the office tomorrow - leaving home in the dark and arriving home in the dark  :(
John

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
For some reason my wife cannot look at your group shot without bursting out laughing?!?
Almost in Scotland.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
What a treat  :)  Your garden looks neat and organised Steve - very nice.

I love all the snowdrops and the photos are great as usual John.  I think my favourites have to be Moses Basket for its long outers and markings then Vertigo which looks like a green and white crocus and very different  (does it ever open?).  Lastly Rodmarton Regulus for its chunky flowers and large foliage.

Great selection & good to see you all in the 'mug shot' !

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »
For some reason my wife cannot look at your group shot without bursting out laughing?!?

Well, it made me smile! :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »

Well, it made me smile! :P

You saying that has made me laugh too.   :D
John

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »
 ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
Wow Steve, what a collection.

Rodmarton Regulus and Sentinel are superb.  Thanks for taking the group round. And super photos as usual John.

johnw :o    -  +2c and a big storm on the way.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
it was a really nice afternoon, so many great drops & yes Rodmarton Regulus looked amazing, just a shame the sun couldn't tempt it to open.

lovely food as well  ;D

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 01:51:04 AM »
Tim  - Your woronowii's flowers are bigger than the one here. Quite agree, John's woronowii is quite something!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal