We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2012  (Read 31093 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Re: KentGardener's Galanthus Blog 2012
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »
John is picture 3 ,Selina Chords?
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
I wouldn't think this is 'Selina Cords' Chas, the pedicel and split spathe should both be much longer, unless it is literally only just out.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Mavers

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Really enjoying your blog again John, thanks for making the effort involved.

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
I really can't believe the weather was so bad before you went into Steve's garden.... there is brightness and the flowers look lovely... I think you were all making excuses to stay inside to eat Mrs O's fine grub!

What a super visit  you had.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »

I think there are a lot of these types being found in Holland and Belgium - and unfortunately some sites have had more than one person collecting from them so there are likely to be lots of very similar plants under lots of different names.

This one was marked down purely with a collection number HK39 - but I couldn't see the label clearly.

Edit:  MK39 (Mens/Koln) - many thanks to a member from continental Europe for correcting me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:57:26 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
I really can't believe the weather was so bad before you went into Steve's garden

Somebody looked out the window and said they saw sleet; but was that around the time we were offered the choice of either venturing outside or tackling some very substantial sausage rolls?
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »
Really great to see snowdrops in the garden - they are one of the strongest reasons to get out and tidy the garden up early! Temptation is obviously building because I hope to visit Steve's garden in February! I know it's a time of year that we want to get out be stimulated in the garden, but why is there not the same sort of following for the choice alpines that many gardeners have? Is it simply that we attach snowdrops to people we know, whereas alpines are so much more botanical?
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
I really can't believe the weather was so bad before you went into Steve's garden

Somebody looked out the window and said they saw sleet; but was that around the time we were offered the choice of either venturing outside or tackling some very substantial sausage rolls?

wasn't a difficult decision  :)

there is brightness and the flowers look lovely... I think you were all making excuses to stay inside to eat Mrs O's fine grub!

although it was sunny for the last hour it wasn't warm thanks to a cold wind so sadly nothing really opened.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

wasn't a difficult decision  :)

I knew it!  8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:03:45 PM by Maggi Young »

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
I arrived at work this morning to find all yesterdays Australian treats had been consumed - except for the bag of Kangaroo Jerky which seemed to have lots left......

My job today required me to work through lunch and I was luckily able to sneak away 45 minutes earlier than usual and actually arrived home in Kent while there was still 20 mins of day light.   :)

I rushed round outside looking at the flowers that had developed since I last saw my garden (without the need for a torch!).  Below are some quick pics before the light faded completely.  They really are not the best pics in the world, as it was all a bit of a rush, so I thought I would shove them on here rather than in the Jan 2012 thread.

1 - 'Bungee' - not looking as long in the pedical as usual.  Perhaps due to the warm weather not leaving enough time for it to extend "slowly but surely?

2 - 'Wasp' - this was a generous gift from a member of SRGC in 2007.  They very kindly posted me a little non flowering bulb that was only leaves the following year in 2008.  Now 4 years after that I have a lovely little clump (and I have given a few away too).  Thank you SRGC.   8)

3 - 'Don Armstrong' - another kind gift from one of this forums members.  I received this in 2009.  During 2010 and 2011 I excitedly watched the leaves develop and then sadly realised there would be no flower.  Now in 2012 I have a big smile on my face at 2 flowers showing.  (thank you SRGC)    8)

4 - 'Finchale Abbey' - these flowers are going far far too quickly in this weather!  I only have 3 flowers this year as I gave a many away in the last 2 years.  I am looking forward to having a small clump again as they really do have a unique tulip shape.

5 - I just spotted this 4 petal 'David Baker' before it has gone over.  I remember commenting to someone about a 4 petal one last year - I really should have tried to keep the 2011 bulb separate as I now don't know if it is the same bulb or just something that 'David Baker' does randomly.

6 - Another 'Mrs Thompson' flower.  I love how a clump of this has so many different weird things going on.   ;D  This very full flower caught my attention today.

7 - I came home with this lovely thing from Phil Cornish when I last visited in 2008 (I can't believe it is that long since I went to Gloucestershire!   :o ).  I've always grown it as 'Ballerina' and thought that was a lovely name for it.  Tonight I read 'the book' and have realised it can't be 'Ballerina' from the description.  I will need to write to Phil now and find out what this pretty little flower is that I am growing.....

Tomorrow morning I am off up to Cambridgeshire on the 7am train - hopefully I will come home with some photos of snowdrops in the countryside and woods to share.  (I will be wearing my long johns tomorrow after getting frozen yesterday!   ;D)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:32:18 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
KentGardener/John--All your snowdrops photos are wonderful but cause me to dwell on the lack of availability in the US.  I just got shut out on 'Wasp' again this year  :'( (that's my first use of one of these faces so you know I am sad).  If any forum readers in the US want to trade for 'Wasp' please send me a message.  On the bright side I expect to add between 3 and 6 new cultivars to my collection this year and that's about as much as I can assimilate in an organized fashion.  Keep up the excellent blog.  Carolyn
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

RichardW

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
Wasp looks very striking in a clump like that. I hope I've managed to rescue mine by chipping what was left of the bulb last year, it was given to me by a group as a thank you for a tour & really don't like losing things like that, it'll be going into a lattice pot if it recovers.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
Wasp looks very striking in a clump like that.
Nail on the head there, Richard... they all look great ( better??!!) in clumps.  When one thinks how glorious drifts of flowers are in the garden, it's a shame that so many of these 'drops are destined to spend their lives as one or two bulbs in a pot and getting split up all the time... I feel kinda sorry for 'em. 

RichardW

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »
it's a shame that so many of these 'drops are destined to spend their lives as one or two bulbs in a pot and getting split up all the time... I feel kinda sorry for 'em.

true, it has been nice not to sell any for a few years and let them bulk up. I'm lucky to have the space to play with & a visit to Colesbourne inspired me to plant bigger clumps so I started to plant the banks in the walled garden, 5 years on and I'm starting to see results despite the horrible soil. John's Atkinsii flowing through rocks pic has inspired my next project, a "river" of Mighty Atom down the other bank  :)

my Mighty Atom hedge project is currently covered in mud, turf and boot prints thanks to some kind contractors  >:(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:22:36 PM by RichardW »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »
my Mighty Atom hedge project is currently covered in mud, turf and boot prints thanks to some kind contractors  >:(

You have my greatest sympathy Richard having had a similar experience this week >:(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal