We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops in February 2012  (Read 107791 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Snowdrops in February 2012
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Anybody help with a name for me. My label says Y. snowdrop  ::)

Angie  :)
Angie i am not 100% sure what drop it is but that is a lovely pot of yellow drops.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
Warren's photograph of 'Sandersii' also caught my eye; thought it caught the plant perfectly; lovely shot, pretty flowers.

A few snowdrops from the garden, shots taken over the last few days.

Paddy

Bill Bishop
elwesii monostictus
John Long
Mighty Atom
nivalis under magnolia
Pride o' the Mill
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:04:25 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
A few more. Paddy

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »
Superb Arnott patch, Paddy. And Sophie North is doing very well for you too. Your garden obviously suits the snowdrops. You should probably be growing all of ours for us!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »
Last few, Paddy

Waverley Aristocrat - raised by Harold McBride in Northern Ireland
Woodtown - an Irish snowdrop, very promising.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
Superb Arnott patch, Paddy. And Sophie North is doing very well for you too. Your garden obviously suits the snowdrops. You should probably be growing all of ours for us!

Oh, Martin, please send them over. I really do think I should be growing them for you. LOL.

I was trying to convince Ian Christie that he really needed to trial G. 'Elizabeth Harrison' here in my garden just to be sure it would do well under other conditions. Pity he didn't take  me up on my offer.

G. 'S. Arnott' does very well here. That clump is from three bulbs purchased around 2000, so a good increase.

By the way, G. 'Sophie North' was set back quite a bit last year but has recovered well this year. It was moved the year before last so that may have set it back.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:20:20 PM by Paddy Tobin »

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »
Fantastic drops Paddy.  I so wish I had your space to grow them.  As soon as something does well here I have to give it away to friends.    :)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
Fantastic drops Paddy.  I so wish I had your space to grow them.  As soon as something does well here I have to give it away to friends.    :)

John, as I said to Martin, I would be delighted, and most thankful, to grow your excess snowdrops here. I have the space and they would be given a good home.

Of course, I have been the beneficiary of your generosity previously and they are all doing very well.

Paddy

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
Stunning Paddy i'm really jealous of your weather as well,all your drops are looking fantstic, mine are frozen to the ground :(
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
Apologies for introducing a touch of blue into this thread.Scilla bifolia for John W.

Thanks so much Roma.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2012, 05:54:11 PM »

If I was expecting a snowdrop scatigaz, I'd plant it in a pot of well draining gritty compost & keep it frost free until better weather. Last year I kept all my new acquisitions in pots protected from frost on the shady side of my bungalow & then planted them out in July when they were dormant bulbs. They had formed lovely firm bulbs as the protected environment helped them retain their foliage much longer than being out in the garden.

As soon as I unpack snowdrops I dip them in diluted Canna Rhizotonic root stimulator & Growth Technology 'SuperDrive'. I also water them in with the same solution. These are both expensive but a little goes a very long way & if I'm planting a £50 snowdrop I like to think I'm giving it a little kick up the behind........ From experience I've found it seems works.

Mike - I ordered the Canna Rhizotonic root stimulator on ebay but never realised you were talking about two products.  Do you mix the Growth Technology 'SuperDrive' with the Canna Rhizotonic to make an all in one potion?  I intend to try this on my Avon bulbs when they arrive bareroot (I pray they do not arrive too soon as we still have lots of snow on the ground and freezing temps at night).

I know several people are interested in these products as we chatted about it at Myddleton House on Saturday.  I am always interested in trying anything new and it makes sense that a healthy bulb will be more resistant to disease and other problems (except NF and Swift Moth of course).

So I use 4mls Canna Rhiz to one litre of water?

I may leave my 'precious' purchases ie. Cider with Rosie in a lattice pot this year in my net polytunnel or in the woodlands between the trees with netting thrown over them.  The Narcissus Fly is not getting this one  ???

thanks 
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Warren Desmond

« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »

Loving the images...some real beauty's... 8)

Few of mine last couple of days...

1) Merlin
2) Nothing Special
3) Sandersii

Nice photos Warren.  Your sandersii looks nice.  I have just bought a different clone as the one I bought 15 years ago is still only four flowers this year!  Talk about slow to increase - stayed as one bulb for many years and I finally moved it two years ago and it is finally s-l-o-w-l-y growing - suppose the Narcissus fly will get it now  ::)

Thanks Jennie
My other sandersii doesn't look half as good as this one,, sound's very like your clone ..for some reason just can't stop looking at this one...!!   :)

Warren
The Wirral

Warren Desmond

« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »
A few more. Paddy

Paddy...Lovely images...must say your Sophie North & Arnott are stunning... :)

Warren
The Wirral

Warren Desmond

« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
I have just bought a different clone as the one I bought 15 years ago is still only four flowers this year!  Talk about slow to increase - stayed as one bulb for many years and I finally moved it two years ago and it is finally s-l-o-w-l-y growing - suppose the Narcissus fly will get it now  ::)

The quickest clone that I have found to increase is the one from Roger Norman at Ivycroft.  Seems a really good do'er in my garden.  8)

That's the one pictured John...came from Roger Norman..fallen in love with this one... :)
The Wirral

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
Paddy, that much S Arnott is just beautiful!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal